FS19 PC FPS problems

IceUul

Re: FS19 PC FPS problems

Post by IceUul »

svkb wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 pm
IceUul wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 am Problem solved.

2. Giants ingame machines are in unpacked format on HDD, in FS17 helped me to prevent stutter if i unpacked
all my mods in mod folder (repack with store option might help also). In FS19 i started with unpacked mods, so i do not know the difference.
What do you mean by unpacked mods? I though any mod you put in the mod folder had to be zipped???
In multiplayer - Yes, also need to use the same filename, otherwise mod will not work in multiplayer games.

In single player it needs to look like this: \mods\<mod folder name> or \mods\<modname>.zip
You need to extract the files to \mods\<mod folder name>\<files> . Does not matter what is the folder name, some maps
does not work, when you change the initial name.
Anyway.... the data folder in FS19 game folder looks same, there are folder vehicles or something, under there are brands, then names and there are files inside, all unpacked. Basically you can drop your mods there also, then they look like ingame items, but multiplayer might not work anymore after that. Also you can edit xml files inside there. Basically redo the entire equipment lineup. Just to remember that game reinstall will delete all your changes and game does not support multiplayer anymore.

Why to unpack mods? - to fast edit xml-s mods, if you do not play in multiplayer.
Why to unpack/repack mods? - to get better loading times, because your PC does not need to unpack the files. If you do repack use the "store" option, do not choose option called "best compression", basically do not compress files, just store them as zips or open folders. This means less work for your CPU/HDD and means better running game.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Unzipping Mods in your Mod Folder is a very bad practice to advise people to do. This could lead to a lot more problems for players and break a lot of mods and maps, because your changing filepaths by doing this. On maps especially this will likely break a lot of functionality and how items appear because of the way the author has set up the links to these items in the maps xml files or i3d files. You say "Why to unpack mods? - to fast edit xml-s mods, if you do not play in multiplayer." again you don't need to do this if your PC has 7Zip installed (Pretty much certain if running Windows10 as it comes with it) and have NotePad++ or have set 7Zip to point to your text editor of choice, you can load and edit the xml files directly within the zip. Anyway back to why unzipping a mod will likely break things for a player.

For example a map has its own custom silo for the players to store crops in. That silo is referenced in the i3d and the defaultitems.xml of the map with the filepath "$moddir$FS19_DondiegoMap/maps/placeables/farmSiloKomplex.xml" this tells the game to look for this item by going to the Mod Folder, opening the FS19_DondiegomMap.zip file and then browsing that for the maps folder, then placeables and finally finding the farmSiloKomplex.xml.

Now if you took this map and for example unzipped it to a folder in your ModFile for example we'll just call "Unzipped Map" for the same silo to appear in game when the player loads the map, you would have to change the filepath in a couple of files to now direct the game to look in the folder "$moddir$Unzipped_Map/FS_19DondiegoMap/maps/placeables/farmSiloKomplex.xml" for it to show up in game. No no offence to anyone but that is probably beyond the scope for a lot of people who play the game. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, imagine then changing the filepaths for textures, shaders etc for the models and objects within a map, in the i3d file. Yes you can edit the paths with a text editor if you know what you are doing, or you have the longer much for painful task of opening the i3d file with the Editor and going through every object to change path to point to where you've unzipped the mods textures to.

Now I don't disagree with the notion that mods downloaded from different sites, different authors may have issues where zip files have different levels of compression, have been packaged with different settings and therefore that could put additional strain on a system reading these files in game. However it's not going to make much difference to FPS or Performance because to be fair you are more limited by the game only using 3 cores and it also doesn't go above 30% cpu usage and 50% gpu, it's not a great engine for utilising and maximising the system a player has available to it. For many people the reading of zip files whilst playing will be performed comfortably by the other available cores and CPU percentage that is free whilst the game is running. However it can be a good idea to maybe unzip mods and then re-zip them yourself using what compression settings you are happy with and to ensure parity then that all the mods in your mod folder have same compression type so they will be read at the same speed.

FPS and Performance drops in game are probably more likely caused by bad quality mods and maps, where an author hasn't optimised them properly or incorrectly uses a lot of RAW files rather then the game's preferred format for example using PNG files instead of DDS, WAV files instead of OGG. Also many times I come across mods that have really bad texture setup, a author uses a 100kb diffuse file, then for whatever reason their normal file comes in at 900kb and their specular file also 900kb, this shows they are doing something very wrong when creating their textures or the software they are using to generate their normal and speculars is set wrong. As all the textures should be the same size. If an author takes that one object and uses it multiple times in the case of a map for example your going to be using an unnecessary 1600kb of data each time it appears.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

The game treats ".zip" files and folders same inside the mod folder, so as long you keep the folder name same, it will not broke:
Basically:
FarmingSimulator19\Mods\EstanciaLapacho\textures
and
FarmingSimulator19\Mods\EstanciaLapacho.zip\<textures> (inside zip file).
Are same!

Not sure about FS19 performance, never tested it. But it changed a lot in FS17.
Also as you mentioned, better to keep the files zipped if possible.
Lee66

Post by Lee66 »

Honestly, you shouldn't be trying to convince others to unzip mods/maps in the mod folder as it's not recommended and can lead to many issues for players that are not experience yet will still try it.

I've been trying and 'tweaking' mods for all FS titles and many other games for a 'very' long time and couldn't have explained it better than cwattyeso did. And tbh, pulling an xml file out of a zip to adjust it, then copying it back into the zip file is easy, and more effective. The only time I unzip a mod is to change textures and/or change trigger sizes, resize elements etc.

Oh and a very good free zip program is; PeaZip, and I always use Notepad++
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

IceUul wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 pm FS19 or FS17 or Giants Engine problems with FPS whatever you want to call them.
Anyway, start the game, buy some equipment, evolve, buy more, in some point you have a big farm and pieces
around 20 and more game FPS starting to go down. FS17 had exact same problem.

This topic here is, how to get fps better, i am tired of playing small farms, i want to make big farm, 40 tractors, 10 harvesters and so on,
lot of helpers and courseplay, but then my game runs only on 20-30FPS.

I have tried:
Lowering graphics settings - did not work
Upgradeing graphics card - did not work
Overcloking ram and CPU - did not work
Getting fastest SSD - did not work
Upgrading RAM size - did not work
Selling all my equipment - works!

Ok, the rig i am running:
Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
Intel i6800K @ 4ghz, 6 cores.
DDR4 32GB 4-channel RAM @ 3200mhz
512GB Samsun 960 Pro m.2 SSD
I play only 30fps, resolution is 2560x1440 at the moment, settings high or medium, does not matter fps still drops
to 30.

I am using performance monitor on win 10 pro to check the hardware utilization by FS19.
RAM usage is low, around 8GB. Video memory usage 5GB, Video card utilization 50%, FS19 uses only 2 cores, one is 100% and another
one is around 50%, sometimes uses 3 and 4 core also, never more. So i expect the bottleneck is CPU speed, but overcloking from
3.4ghz to 4ghz did not help at all. SSD usage seems also low. Upgrading videocard from 1080 ti to 2080 ti, did not help at all, fps still same if lowering settings.

I am running out of ideas.

For example: how to get this low fps... use cheat code to add 5M dollar, buy so many tractors and harvesters you can and let them sit front of the shop. After you move around them, fps going down. Even you look them from far, if you look in other direction, fps going ok. But the direction of the shop, it is going low.
Did you find solution to this annoying problem?
Your PC is very powerful and yet its not able to run this game on rock solid 60fps, which is ridicious.
My PC is not nearly as strong as yours, but i am able to run 99% games on medium-high @ 1080p with 50-60fps, but FS 19 works really bad.
If i look in any direction where there is none vehicles/implements, my FPS is 60fps.
Look in direction of main farm where there are implements, FPS goes down to 30-40.
Start selling equipment 1 by 1 and FPS goes up and up.
I even tried lowering resolution to 1024x768 on 24" monitor :D and guess what, it didnt help even 1 fps.
But when i turned off Shadows, i gained huge FPS boost, from 30-35 to 55-57 (everywhere else i have 60fps, even on very high settings, only near implements i have FPS drops).
And ive seen lots of threads on this forum, on reddit and on Steam community where people complains about very bad performance.
Is the game engine really that bad optimized?
I even stopped playing because its impossible to build bigger farm with 3-4 tractors, 3-4 harvesters and adequate implements for each tractor.
I hope FS 21 will be better optimized.
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

Is anybody using AMD's new Ryzen processors and if so, how is FS19 running? I am certain for every process a game starts, the OS follows with its own series of processes. With January just around the corner, my system which is about 4 or more years old and running Windows 7 will have to be replaced. I am considering between AMD's 3700x or Intel's 9700k.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Virtual Farmer (FS youtuber) is running FS 19 with Ryzen 2700x and RTX 2070 and he has FPS drops to 30-40, but its mostly at 60 FPS.
While 3700x is a bit better CPU than 2700x, it is not that much better, but its really good choice.
I have same FPS with much older and weaker PC at high settings 1080p, i5 4690k 4.4ghz and GTX 970, 99% of the time its 55-60 FPS, only near lots of equipments its 40-50 or when i hire 3-4 Courseplay workers.
Now you figure out if its worth upgrading.
Maybe you will play at 60 FPS all the time or maybe you will have FPS drops to 30-40, nobody can say that for sure, until you try the game.
You can see his FPS counter at 36:30 minutes on this video when someone ask him whats his FPS:
SnoopBok

Post by SnoopBok »

ekeenan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:04 pm Is anybody using AMD's new Ryzen processors and if so, how is FS19 running? I am certain for every process a game starts, the OS follows with its own series of processes. With January just around the corner, my system which is about 4 or more years old and running Windows 7 will have to be replaced. I am considering between AMD's 3700x or Intel's 9700k.
Recently, I upgraded from an i5 4690k @4.6 ghz to a Ryzen 7 3800x. Roughly estimated, I think FPS improved by 20-30 FPS. The problem with FS is that is poorly optimised, I watched the CPU usage for a while: only 1-2 cores are being used, the other cores are idle. So the 9700k will have a little bit better FPS, because of it's higher core frequency. Personally I prefer AMD, because Intel has been abusing it's monopoly the last years, by giving us small steps in performance.

It's about time Giants optimizes it's engine. They should make it multi-core proof.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Wait until this_is_gav comes and fires at you because you said game engine is poorly optimized :lol: :lol:
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

bojanh66 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:42 pm Wait until this_is_gav comes and fires at you because you said game engine is poorly optimized :lol: :lol:
I had a go at you as you claimed, completely inaccurately, that it was, and I quote:
bojanh66 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:21 amIts impossible to have constant 60 FPS in this game even if you have RTX 2080 TI and the strongest CPU on the market
Which is complete bollocks.

I won't pretend that the game is completely optimised, primarily because that actually is impossible, but also because it's clearly not using all of the processing power for everyone (as Stegei himself has explained).

What bugs me is that people think "optimising" the game is a relatively simple task. The reality of it is that if they wanted to really optimise the game to any real degree there wouldn't be any time left to improve the game in any other areas, which would result in a hell of a lot worse publicity than you bleating on at any given opportunity.

Going further, if they wanted the game to use all possible cores (for gaming platforms that will be up to at least 128 threads next year) to any efficient degree we'd probably be waiting the best part of a decade for the next game as the complexity involved in coding that is staggering, barely possible and totally impractical for all bar a few very select cases, none of which will be games developers any time soon.

90% of the time poor performance is down to either too many script mods or users installing poorly coded script mods. I'm not ignorant enough to pretend that fixes it for everyone, but in most cases that's the obvious thing to look at and address first - clear up you mod folder, specifically those mods generating errors.