Farming sim's performance and optimization

jeff2146

Farming sim's performance and optimization

Post by jeff2146 »

A look at Farming sim's performance on computer.

(before we start pls don't comment that i get what i deserve because i use amd you and i know that that's not a thing and you only make yourself look like and *$#%§*)

I have been a long standing fan of the Farming sim franchise ever since i played the 2011 edition. and i looked forward to the 2019 install ever since the first trailer came out. Sadly my enthusiasm was quickly curb stomped by the weirdly poor performance of the game on both my computers.

list of performance dependent specs

desktop pre summer upgrades
cpu r7 1700 @ 3.6Ghz
gpu gtx 1060 3GB
ram 16GB @ 2933Mhz

desktop post summer upgrades
cpu r5 3600 @ 4.2Ghz
gpu radeon vega 56
ram 16GB @ 2933Mhz

laptop Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC-GC104T-BE Azerty
cpu r7 1700 @3Ghz
gpu radeon rx580 4GB
ram 16GB @ 2400Mhz

The performance hit i saw going from 17 to 19 with the game was worst on my laptop using the auto set graphics options on 1080p, was big a stable 60fps was almost impossible to maintain. This came with terrible 0.1% low performance translating into noticeable stutter in-game(worst on estansia lapacho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). lowering the settings to lowest fixed most of the frame rate problems but it left me with a game looking worse then fs 17 did on the same system. The game did perform better on my desktop but it was not until after the summer upgrade that i lost the stutter that plagued my game.

Seeing this i decided to put the game away and return to 17 in the hope giants would address these problems.

After living in a cave for almost halve a year i noticed giants put out a patch for the game that promised better performance. it is so to say that i was pretty excited for this update. after initial testing most of the stutter has been eliminated on my laptop. that was until i fired up my combine and went out to cut some wheat to notice that i still had regular drops below 60fps on the medium settings.

this prompted me to take a closer look at how the game actually runs to find some interesting stuff. the game didn't even push my gpu over 35% usage while playing. with the vram usage capping out at 2GB.

then i decided to look at the cpu usage and found that at any one time farming sim will not use more then 2 cores or 4 threads(on a cpu with smt/hyper-threading). my suspicion was proven when i limited the game to use 5 threads where 1 of them remained practically unused.

(assigned threads where cpu 11-15 with 13 not being used at all) this does still confuse me as the game was made to run on current gen consoles that have 8 core cpu's.

after this i thought that maybe turning of vsync would let the game lose and run at as high of an fps as it wants to find that the game is locked at 60fps with or without vsync. with the game returning to the stutter filled mess that it was on launch.

with no choice but to drop setting to maintain the 60 fps and turn the game back into a jagged mess of no AA, the only choice for me is to go back to playing 17 on my laptop while i can play 19 on my desktop now. that said the fact that i needed a cpu and gpu upgrade to get stable performance in fs 19 shows that optimization is pretty lack luster for a franchise i used to run on a celeron based laptop.

an interesting thing is that fs 19 is going to be a launch title for google stadia. if google has made anything clear it is that it wants all games on thier platform to use the vulkan api instead of directx. if the stadia release includes this api then i would certainly hope that giants makes it available for pc as well.

If any one has idea's on how to fix these problems then be sure to post them below and if yu made it this far then i thank you for reading my first post on these forum and the first line is mainly to deter fanboys/brand crusaders that i have had my fare share of on reddit.
cwattyeso

Re: Farming sim's performance and optimization

Post by cwattyeso »

This is pretty much a typical example of a PC Game that is being greatly handicapped because it's also being developed for the Consoles PS4 and Xbox. Basically because Giants won't make a separate version of the game for the Console Players using their antique, out-of-date and very performance limited hardware, PC players suffer as a result, because we get a game that does not utilise our hardware to it's full capabilities. Not using our CPUs, not using all cores of our CPUs, not using more then 2GB RAM and not using more then 30% of a GPU is pretty evident of a game engine that's not taking advantage of the PC Platform at all.

Unfortunately there is no way to change the performance or optimisation of the game. It's down to Giants to wake up and realise that PC Players and their Hardware is vastly ahead of and moves much faster then Console Technology so they need to make a separate game for the PC Players that fully pushes the limits of their systems.

The thing that annoys me however is that in game, or even out of game by manually editing the settings file, I can't even get the game to look like a PC game. It really annoys me that on PC we have this 'Magic Circle' around our vehicles where only the good looking textures are loaded, then beyond that we just get the utter garbage looking stuff. I should be able to have nice textures as far as my view distance allows in game, because damn sure my PC can handle it. Yet again we're stuck on PC with a console looking experience.

Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

Playing on my console I have never had FPS issues. I did on my One S when I would have a modded map and inventory slots near max. I am on Pacific Southwest, on my One X, with only 10 slots left and don't experience any problems but rendering at a distance. I believe that's the correct way of saying it, I am not a computer or software lingo guy at all. Do they have to make 2 separate games with separate codes for optimization?
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
re3el

Post by re3el »

They just shouldn't have used their old game engine. That is probably causing a lot of issues..