Cheapest wheel for FS?

frankfarmer

Cheapest wheel for FS?

Post by frankfarmer »

Hi, i'm looking for a cheap wheel setup, but i'm not sure which ones work on PC.
hpmc13

Re: Cheapest wheel for FS?

Post by hpmc13 »

I found an old, used, Logitech driving force pro on eBay for $23. It works great, but I've never seen one for that price since. He had two and I should have bought them both and resold one of them.

It might help if you let us know what you consider cheap.
Playing on PC
frankfarmer

Post by frankfarmer »

round the £50 mark!
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-F ... ust&sr=8-8

I've used it's brother for a few years, but recently upgraded to a g29
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Most Thrustmaster wheels are apparently plug and play in FS, so most of the controls should be automatically set. Of course you can change them in game too.

For a more authentic Farming experience you can buy steering wheel spinner knobs for about £10 (got mine for about £7 from Amazon a couple of years back) and they just attach to existing wheels. Can easily be detached should want to go racing or something too.

Whatever you do don't buy the Logitech/Saitek "Heavy Equipment Bundle", even if you see it second hand for pennies. The wheel itself is absolute garbage, with the build quality of soft cheese. The side panel is quite good though and works separately, so if you want to consider that in the future then it's a fairly safe bet.
frankfarmer

Post by frankfarmer »

I want to go for a wheel, but then I would probably need head tracking for it to be properly useable, or is there other solutions to this?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I play with a G29 wheel and a logitech side panel, I use the joystick on the panel to control the camera. I have not really felt the need for head tracking.

And as Gav said avoid the logitech wheel.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

frankfarmer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 pm I want to go for a wheel, but then I would probably need head tracking for it to be properly useable, or is there other solutions to this?
You're not wrong; reaching for the mouse to control the camera is a bit of a pain. However, the Vehicle Control Addon mod will move the camera when you turn the wheel, and can snap the camera to reverse when you back up. That said, a wheel without head-tracking is far superior to a controller.

You can build your own head tracker for around $25 if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. There are oodles of tutorials and build-guides out there. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list along with a button box that should mimic the side-panel.
Playing on PC
frankfarmer

Post by frankfarmer »

Home made button box sounds cool!
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

frankfarmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:31 am Home made button box sounds cool!
I bought a Elgato Stream Deck in the sales last year that I now use as a control box. But still plan on building my own control box at some point to go with it.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
CombineBert

Post by CombineBert »

I have a Stream Deck also, fantastic for mods like GPS and Follow Me that have multiple keys. Plus can create your own icons for each button.

I have mapped the camera controls to the hat switch on my joystick, works great for me. The button where your thumb sits toggles in / out of cab view. The top buttons in combination with the trigger as a modifier connect tools, cycle through, raise / lower, turn on / off etc. Main axis are for front loaders, makes bale and pallet loading so much easier.
Platform: WIN 10 | Game Version: PC Steam
Devices: Logitech G29 Wheel, pedals & shifter | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | Stream Deck

Current FS19 Maps:
Ravensburg - 9 Day Seasons