FPS fluctuation - CPU upgrade?

HyperLynx

FPS fluctuation - CPU upgrade?

Post by HyperLynx »

I find that my fps fluctuates a whole lot with this game. Fields can be anywhere from 80 to 130 fps, but when I return to any farm it tends to drop to around 30-40 fps and this puts me off playing the game as it becomes very choppy with my high refresh rate monitor. I currently have an i5-8600K clocked at 3.60 GHz. It works great with other games I play but i still get the fluctuation similar to fs19.

Would upgrading to an i7 improve this fps fluctuation? (Yes i have the right socket)

Would it increase the capability to load in lots of buildings, equipment and aesthetics like trees easier?

Maybe even a RAM increase? (although I already have 16GB)

My PC specs;
i5-8600k
RTX 2070
GigaByte B360HD3 Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

Thank you for your help!
svkb

Re: FPS fluctuation - CPU upgrade?

Post by svkb »

Your i5 is plenty powerful enough to run anything farm sim can through at it. I've found that FS rarely uses more than 1 core at a time and when it does I've never seen it use more than 2. You're likely experiencing what most of us have complained about and that's the game engine is simply poorly optimized. Some maps are worse than others. For example on Welker Farms map I get no stutter whatsoever, however it is a fairly open map with few trees. I've found 4x maps to be very unoptimized and they all have fps drops or stutters.

I'm betting that the issue is map specific. Have you tried other maps, specifically the default ones? Or try Welker Farms, it's stutter free for me.
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super