Moving installation folder

BadgerGrimm

Moving installation folder

Post by BadgerGrimm »

Ok, I asked this of Giants directly, and their response was, ask in the forums.
So here I am. And here's my question....
I would like to move my mods folder from the default location, to my SSD drive for faster access. How can I move the installation to a different drive and have the game look in the new location for mods?
TIA
this_is_gav

Re: Moving installation folder

Post by this_is_gav »

I'm assuming you're on Windows rather than MacOS.

You can either move your entire Documents folder (easy) or edit it so only mods (and only mods, not savegames and things) are moved (a bit harder).

To move your Documents right-click on it in File Explorer, choose Properties, go to the Location tab, choose the Move option and select or create a new folder (you might as well call this Documents too). This will move all of the files in the Documents folder to the new location.

To move only your mods folder you need to create a new folder on the drive you want it and move your mods into it. You now need to copy the path* to the new mods folder to the clipboard (in File Explorer in the address bar click to the right of the tabs so it highlights the path and with the whole path selected press CTRL+C). Now open Notepad and open (you'll need to change Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files in the bottom right) the file gameSettings.xml file located in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019. Between the two quotation marks at the end remove the C:\Temp and paste your path in (CTRL+V) and change the "false" to "true" - see below for examples. Save the file.

Originally:

Code: Select all

<modsDirectoryOverride active="false" directory="C:/Temp"/>
New mods location:

Code: Select all

<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="D:/FS19/Mods"/>
* The "path" to the new mods folder in the example above is "D:/FS19/Mods". Your path might be different.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I don't know if this is the same thing but I pinned my mod folder to quick access
BadgerGrimm

Post by BadgerGrimm »

Thank you this_is_gav, exactly what I needed to know. Though I don't know why Giants couldn't have told me that. Thanks.
EC24

Post by EC24 »

This does work on fs22