Howto: Correctly setup dedicated server using epic games store version

Schlacksi

Re: Howto: Correctly setup dedicated server using epic games store version

Post by Schlacksi »

Hey,

thanks for the quick help *thumbsup* but I still can´t start the server. It shows log-file errors but when i look in them there is nothing, only a message where it says it can´t start the server and if I click the start button the epic launcher starts and gives me a message about cloud sync.

Epic message: http://prntscr.com/tcbj2j

I was able to create the symbolic links.

What I did find out is how you can change the Dedi-App Pin-Code: click the tab settings>dedi-app>reset pin-code
Herisio

Post by Herisio »

Are u using that account on another pc too?
This guide was made using an epic acc that isnt used on any other machine.

If you do steps 1 to 4, does that even work? Step 4 should yield a working dedicated server... Just without the dedi management portal etc.

If you cant get step 4 to run correctly the rest of the guide wont work either.

Make sure you get a vanilla server running first ( ie no mods)
Schlacksi

Post by Schlacksi »

Hey!

Thanks for your response!

I created the server again and found my problem. It´s because of this launcher message, I just had to click on one button and wait until the terminal window popped up.

Again, thanks for your help! *thumbsup*
Karlox

Post by Karlox »

Nice guide, quality work. I wonder if there's a way to have the server start fully after reboot? I mean to load the map and show up in the in-game server list for clients. As for now someone with user profile has to go to web panel and start the server? Of course Its not much to do that, and can be done remote. But a server with wide player base, web panel access for everybody isn't always possible.
Herisio

Post by Herisio »

Karlox wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:31 pm Nice guide, quality work. I wonder if there's a way to have the server start fully after reboot? I mean to load the map and show up in the in-game server list for clients. As for now someone with user profile has to go to web panel and start the server? Of course Its not much to do that, and can be done remote. But a server with wide player base, web panel access for everybody isn't always possible.
Hey Karlox,

Isn't the whole point of having a dedicated server, that it is online 24/7 and hardly ever gets rebooted? :chinese:

Nevertheless, what you could try is to have a scheduled task call that run.bat script, when the server has started.
Only downside is, the web-ui is useless, as it will not pick up on the game server already running.

So it looks like you'll have to choose.
Isn't the dedi app an option either for some users that you do not want to give web panel access? Afaik, they are a separate set of users and they can only start/stop/restart the server if you make them "admin" in the app
Karlox

Post by Karlox »

I live in a rural area where you can have black out from electricity due to stormy weather, tree fallen on power line etc. And my 2 hour UPS isn't always enough. The best option seems to have the most active users with web panel access and able to start the server when rarely needed.
pvtaleen77

Post by pvtaleen77 »

Pls If u can , help me
When i open 'Dedicated Server' and login to my server , when i try to start server i got this message ' Farming Simulator 19 is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file'

https://prnt.sc/w74t6z
Herisio

Post by Herisio »

pvtaleen77 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:24 pm Pls If u can , help me
When i open 'Dedicated Server' and login to my server , when i try to start server i got this message ' Farming Simulator 19 is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file'

https://prnt.sc/w74t6z
It seems like it can't find the executable.
Double check the contents of the bat file, as well as the file locations of all files mentioned in the guide...
Tjum28

Post by Tjum28 »

Is it possible to set up this on a headless server?
Herisio

Post by Herisio »

Tjum28 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:46 pm Is it possible to set up this on a headless server?
Aren't all dedicated servers headless?
In any case, my server is a VPS running on a server in a datacenter somewhere, so yea its possible.
Tjum28

Post by Tjum28 »

But install Epic Games on a headless Server with Debian 10
Herisio

Post by Herisio »

Tjum28 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:04 pm But install Epic Games on a headless Server with Debian 10
That's out of the scope of this guide I'm afraid. This is tailored to Windows, so I won't be able to help. Sorry!
ididit99

Post by ididit99 »

I feel bad for digging up such an old post but I'm still clinging on to FS2019, I found a workaround for EpicGames needing to be open.

It could just be me but I have found -AUTH no longer works and Epic Games needs to be open for authenticating the login.

First I added both the Dedicated server.exe and the.bat into my startup programs to run on a system restart
this also allows the webserver to work and shows the server already running.

Then the fix was to edit my bat file to this,
@ECHO OFF
TIMEOUT /T 10
CD "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\FarmingSimulator19"
FarmingSimulator2019.exe -server
TIMEOUT /T 30
taskkill /im EpicGamesLauncher.exe

Using this method you can also remove your login details from the bat file as I'm really against any personal information inside a text file

The first timeout is to allow Windows some time to boot so isn't needed if your PC doesn't restart,
the 2nd timeout is to allow Epic Games enough time to authenticate the login and then force it to close, it doesn't need to run for the server to work
I've found if my PC is already running I can remove the first timeout and cut the 2nd TIMEOUT down from 30s to 10s, I think the times depend on the speed of your PC but if you want to be safe for a system start I would set the first timeout to 20s and the 2nd timeout to 60s.

Again sorry for posting on such an old post but I couldn't find anywhere better to post it.