Figured out the Mac won't update mods issue

farmsimbuilder

Figured out the Mac won't update mods issue

Post by farmsimbuilder » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:42 pm

Not sure if this has been resolved somewhere else but Giants doesn't have the answer so thought I would post. I submitted a support ticket and they told me there was something wrong with my symmetrical gigabit internet..haha.

Anyways,

Most Mac's by default automatically unzip every mod they download. Windows does not. with Windows you download the zip file then place it in your mod folder and away you go.

I discovered during some moding shenanigans that windows will not update unzipped files either. it does the same thing the Mac does. I tested on the Mac and it will update zipped files normally.

So there you have it.. zip all your mods, correctly, and the Mac will update them normally.

ps. the correct way to zip them is to open the folder and zip the files/folders from inside the mod folder. then name the zipped folder with the original mod folder name. then delete the unzipped folder and keep the zipped folder.

michaelr

Re: Figured out the Mac won't update mods issue

Post by michaelr » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm

A better solution is to disable “Open safe files after downloading” under Preferences in Safari. This is the reason your mods get unzipped.

Don’t recreate zip files yourself as this will change the checksum of the zip file. You need the original zip file to be able to play with others in multiplayer, for instance. The checksum of the zip file is how FS knows that everyone have the exact same mods.

Of course you can also just use the in-game modhub to avoid unzipping of those mods.

farmsimbuilder

Re: Figured out the Mac won't update mods issue

Post by farmsimbuilder » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:13 pm

michaelr wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm
A better solution is to disable “Open safe files after downloading” under Preferences in Safari. This is the reason your mods get unzipped.
very true but some people have already passed that point.
michaelr wrote:
Don’t recreate zip files yourself as this will change the checksum of the zip file. You need the original zip file to be able to play with others in multiplayer, for instance. The checksum of the zip file is how FS knows that everyone have the exact same mods.
Also true but during the previous mentioned "modding shenanigans there is no choice and you can always share your mods with you multiplayer friends so they match when you all load your game. I've seen it done in multiplayer games on Youtube.
michaelr wrote:
Of course you can also just use the in-game modhub to avoid unzipping of those mods.
You would think.. but my Mac somehow managed to unzip some mod files loaded from the in-game mod hub. Also some people prefer the giants web site to download their mods and some prefer to get their mods from out of game modders who are doing an awesome job creating mods for a great game.