Game does not register joystick full range of motion

FelixG

Game does not register joystick full range of motion

Post by FelixG »

Hello,

I have recently bought FS22 and would like to play it with my custom-made button box with joysticks using arduino. But the game doesn't seem to register the full range of motion of the joysticks and prevents me from assigning it to a control.
My button box works on other games such as Assetto Corsa and registers well in windows game controllers.

I have screenshots of how the axis behaves, and even when moving the joystick at maximum both ways, it does not have its full range of motion. This is the same with the other axis.
But I cannot seem to be able to upload png or pdf files.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Felix
don_apple

Re: Game does not register joystick full range of motion

Post by don_apple »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you want to post screenshots here you have to use the image server provided by GIANTS: viewtopic.php?f=852&t=88819

Regarding your actual issue: in order to be able to correctly detect all buttons and axis of a Controller the game requires a configuration file that enables it to identify the controller and map the axis and buttons correctly.

Since it is a custom made controller there is most likely no suitable config file available for it, and therefore the game will assume it is just a very basic joystick with a limited range. You can check that by looking at the log.txt file of the game (see the link "log.txt" in my signature for instructions where to find it). Your controller should be listed in the "Input Devices" section, and if it is detected correctly the number of Buttons and axis should be shown, and there should be something like GAMEPAD, JOYSTICK or WHEEL displayed behind "Cat:" instead of UNKNOWN.

If the controller isn't detected correctly you will have to create your own configuration file for it and put it in the inputDevicesManual folder inside the FarmingSimulator2022 folder.

Since your controller is Arduino based you can search for "arduino"on this forum to see if others maybe have already created configuration files for similar Arduino-based Controllers.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
FelixG

Post by FelixG »

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Indeed, the controller is marked as UNKNOWN (Arduino Leonardo (VID: 2341 PID: 8036 VER: 0100 Cat: UNKNOWN))

I will try to search for Arduino configuration files within the forum.

Here are the pictures I was trying to send:
This is without touching the joystick

This is maximum of one side of the joystick

And this is maximum to the other side
rafarod93

Post by rafarod93 »

im having the same problem... please help. i already tried to create a config file on manual input devices but still not going to center. and when i get it to almost on center it doesnt pass from one side to the other.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

This probably isn't any help to you, but I tried something similar in FS19 and never got it to work. It was adding pedals for me, but, the common denominator here is the Arduino.
My trials and tribulations: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=176814
Good luck!
Playing on PC
rafarod93

Post by rafarod93 »

just got it to work. had to tweak a little fit the code on arduino part so the game could find the 0 point of the joystick.
with these values the game got de joystick bar to the middle and working both sides.

void loop() {

xAxis_ = analogRead(joyX);
xAxis_ = map(xAxis_,0,1024,-1,1024);
Joystick.setXAxis(xAxis_);

yAxis_ = analogRead(joyY);
yAxis_ = map(yAxis_,0,1023,-1,1024);
Joystick.setYAxis(yAxis_);
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Thank you for posting your solution. I may have another go with the Arduino and an upgraded button box.
Playing on PC
Gidgy

Post by Gidgy »

I had the same problem. My homemade gearshifter gear selection worked fine but the clutch axis didn't work in fs22. It did work in some other games like ES2 and Mudrunners so I thought the problem had to be fs22.
I was once again messing with it today and discovered that my mapping was incorrect. My clutch potentiometer didn't need it's full range of motion so instead of creating values between 0 and 5v it created values like between 1,1 and 2,3 or something. So you need to use the map function from arduino and set the first range to be the range of your voltages. (You can find this with the serial monitor) And then convert it to the 0, 1023 range that fs22 likes to see. So the second range is 0 to 1023. Than windows converts it to -32k to 32k for some reason.

Hope this helps,

Gidgy