Dedicated Server Issue

xXxDarkGhostxXx

Dedicated Server Issue

Post by xXxDarkGhostxXx »

Platform: PC Steam
Product: Farming Simulator 22

My dedicated server that I personally host and run 24/7 often does not show up in the multiplayer list. Only after restarting the fs22 instance (FarmingSimulator2022Game.exe) on my server does it start showing up again in the multiplayer list.

I followed the directions on the .pdf, checked my firewall settings, checked my IP and routing settings within my internal network to check for anything getting blocked or not routing correctly. I also tried many suggestions via the forums and YouTube with no change.

The issue happens both when I'm internal and external of the server. I even started having my server machine schedule reboot once a week and the dedicated server schedule reboot once every night which did somewhat help but it is still happening. I also tried with no mods and it still was happening.

I would appreciate some any help in troubleshooting this issue and getting the server more reliable for myself and other people to connect. At this point I am willing to try most anything as remoting in and restarting it all the time for others to connect is not an option. Thanks!

Server Info:
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7-4790
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
500GB SATA SSD
Full Gigabit Hardwired Internal Network
ISP Speeds ~450Mbps Download / ~25Mbps Upload

I would also like to mention this was GIANTS reply when i contacted support regarding it. Which I think is a little unfair but hey they get to make the money and make the rules I guess.
"Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

For the self-hosted servers, we can only refer to the enclosed instructions for the server. We cannot provide special support for the installation.

Best regards,
Detlef Bövers
GIANTS Software Support Team"
Dezza69

Re: Dedicated Server Issue

Post by Dezza69 »

Really have no idea - but, wondering Is your WAN IP static or dynamic?

Edit: also just a FYI, my dedicated server has the “scheduled restart” (under settings menu on its web page) enabled at a time I’m usually asleep, so it actually re-connects to the game servers at least once per day.

I also run the actual “dedicated server” program as an administrator, and setup a schedule in Windows to ensure the program is running.
xXxDarkGhostxXx

Thank you for the reply Dezza69!

My ISP feed is a static IP unless a hard reboot is done with the modem. At that time I normally get the same IP back or am assigned a new one if I don't "claim it back" right away. I believe the modem has to be off/down for more than 24hrs before my original IP is released and I am assigned a new one. The computer is also a static IP within my network that also has port forwarding setup for TCP&UDP Port 10823 as recommended by other forums for FS19/FS22.

The scheduled restart built into the webpage will not work for my case because I am running a Steam copy. When external launches happen Steam has a pop-up style window that states "Farming Simulator 22 is attempting to launch with optional parameters" and will not launch until you confirm on the window. Because of this I set the parameters directly into steam (-name FarmingSimulator2022 -profile "C:\Users\xDGx\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022" -server) and have all operations setup through batch files as shown below.

The Start Server batch runs on computer startup. This allows the FS22 server to automatically startup after a reboot or a power failure.
Server Start (FS22_Server.bat)
TIMEOUT /T 60
START "" "C:\Users\xDGx\Desktop\FS22 Server Files\dedicatedServer.lnk"
TIMEOUT /T 45
START "" "C:\Users\xDGx\Desktop\FS22 Server Files\Farming Simulator 22.url"
TIMEOUT /T 1
exit

The Server Restart batch runs once a day at 5:00AM (least busy time) to try and keep the multiplayer session fresh within FS22's multiplayer list.
(NOTE: this helped but did not fully resolve the issue)
Server Restart (FS22_Restart.bat)
taskkill/im FarmingSimulator2022Game.exe
TIMEOUT /T 2
taskkill/im dedicatedServer.exe
TIMEOUT /T 10
START "" "C:\Users\xDGx\Desktop\FS22_Server.bat"

The only thing I have not done that you mentioned is running the launchers as administrator. They currently run under the main account that gets auto signed in on boot up. That account is setup as an administrator account but forcing the launchers might help.
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

xXxDarkGhostxXx wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:53 am
The scheduled restart built into the webpage will not work for my case because I am running a Steam copy. When external launches happen Steam has a pop-up style window that states "Farming Simulator 22 is attempting to launch with optional parameters" and will not launch until you confirm on the window. Because of this I set the parameters directly into steam (-name FarmingSimulator2022 -profile "C:\Users\xDGx\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022" -server) and have all operations setup through batch files as shown below.
There’s your problem.

From my experience with FS19, if you want a 24/7 server with a map running “always on” - as I do - a seperate stand-alone works solidly. Which is what I did first up with FS22.

My dedicated server is a stand alone licence dedicated server running on a Parallels VM on a 10 year old Mac-Mini, nothing special.

Hope that helps.

Edit: my router is a very tightly locked up text based “pf” unit, and I don’t need port forwarding for it all to work. What i do need to do though is restart the connection (vis the dedicated servers scheduled restart) to ensure that my router doesn’t (rarely) cut the connection.
xXxDarkGhostxXx

Thanks for the follow up Dezza69,

Maybe I will try that option next when licenses are cheaper or go on sale. The only reason I went Steam was because I was able to get a Steam pre-order key for about $15 cheaper. That and I play it through Steam on my personal copy as well so i never really considered direct from GIANTS.

Its not a huge issue right now as I would say my connectable uptime is at least 95% but when that other 5% happens and I'm at work its a pain to stop what I'm doing to remote in and restart it.
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

Yeah, avoid steam for dedicated servers. It's why I bought a disc copy off eBay for £8... 😆
xXxDarkGhostxXx

Thanks for the reply MagicBoy!

See I figured it would all run the same and the only difference was how the game registers to launch. That's odd that the platform would effect anything after the game is up and running. I did also find an article regarding a few more ports that should be forwarded since its the Steam copy which might help but only time will tell.

Maybe in the next few weeks I will search around for a GIANTS digital or cd copy for cheap and try that.
mrpink1824

Post by mrpink1824 »

I know this is a little behind, but i just ran into this issue myself and scratched my head for 4 days trying to figure out why it would not update.

I found that the server does not upgrade after a reboot if you are hosting it. If you are hosting your dedicated server on your own network, a separated copy from Steam, GIANTS standalone copy, NOT A RENTED ONE, you will need to actually run the FarmingSimulator2022.exe, which is just a few files below the dedicatedserver.exe. Once you do, it will basically ask you to install the patch. Let it run for a few and it will finish and then ask if you want to launch the game. At that point, you will want to close the installer and start the dedicatedServer.exe. Once that is back up and running, return to your web console for Farm sim 22, relaunch the game, watch the CMD, if your like me and like to watch code scroll by faster than you can read, and after a few moments you will see your server listed in Multiplayer once again. Hope this finds someone else useful as I racked my brain for 4 days trying to get it back up and running.
Pyronicx

Post by Pyronicx »

mrpink1824 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 pm I know this is a little behind, but i just ran into this issue myself and scratched my head for 4 days trying to figure out why it would not update.

I found that the server does not upgrade after a reboot if you are hosting it. If you are hosting your dedicated server on your own network, a separated copy from Steam, GIANTS standalone copy, NOT A RENTED ONE, you will need to actually run the FarmingSimulator2022.exe, which is just a few files below the dedicatedserver.exe. Once you do, it will basically ask you to install the patch. Let it run for a few and it will finish and then ask if you want to launch the game. At that point, you will want to close the installer and start the dedicatedServer.exe. Once that is back up and running, return to your web console for Farm sim 22, relaunch the game, watch the CMD, if your like me and like to watch code scroll by faster than you can read, and after a few moments you will see your server listed in Multiplayer once again. Hope this finds someone else useful as I racked my brain for 4 days trying to get it back up and running.
You sir are a life saver. 2 Days been at this for it to be a patch. Absolute Legend !
VsUK

Post by VsUK »

Old ish post, but I had same problem I think. If you run a dedicated server on a 2nd PC & you have the DedicatedServer.exe start up automatically at boot, how do you start the server automatically as well without going into web console to start it? I think this is what was the issue.

Well, I run it from steam so it'll be different depending where you bought it from. Then make a .bat file & put in the following.
@echo off
Start "" "D:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Farming Simulator 22\dedicatedServer.exe"
FarmingSimulator2022Game.exe -server -name FarmingSimulator2022 -profile "C:\Users\i5 Server 1\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022"

Change the game install directory, for me I have a dedicated steam install location as my D drive. The 2nd line must point to your FarmingSimulator2022 folder in your documents folder. Change the "User" name to your own as well. Then put the bat file in your x64 folder located in the Farming Simulator 22 install folder. Then just shortcut the bat file to desktop & pop it in your start up folder.

Something to note. I originally had timers between each start process, but I learnt it doesn't matter which one starts first, so long both are running in the end, in case you thought the same as me with timers.

Hope this helps.