Moza Racing R5 and R9 support

chipfletcher

Moza Racing R5 and R9 support

Post by chipfletcher »

Hello, I'm trying to get all the buttons working with my Moza R5 steering wheel. I wouldn't mind trying to create an XML definition for the R5 in the inputDevices/ folder but I am not sure how to get the physical -> logical button mappings.

The wheel works great although there is no feedback from the game. Most of the controller buttons on the steering wheel work including the d-pad but a few don't so I wonder if all they need is a button mapping.

Is there any documentation on creating inputDevices definitions? If anyone else has already added support for the Moza R9 I would love to have a copy of that XML to use as a starting point.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
JensChrDK

Re: Moza Racing R5 and R9 support

Post by JensChrDK »

You can just set the buttons to what you would like them to do.
The first time I connected a wheel to the game I didn't know what to assign the buttons to, but after playing a couple of hours it quickly got "obvious" which functions I used most, and assigned them to the steering wheel buttons.

Sorry if I misunderstood, and you already knew this :wink3:
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
chipfletcher

Post by chipfletcher »

Thanks for the reply. Most buttons on the wheel are mappable but about five are not. I wondered if these could not be assigned because they need a physical to logical mapping in the XML. I have already assigned some of the buttons that I can - and like you it is taking a little time to figure out which functions are most needed :). Cheers!
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

I'm no expert at all, just tried this many times :biggrin2:

Is it in the ingame keybinding options that you can't assign those 5 buttons? Sounds weird! Can you go into your pc settings, or what it's called, and open the wheels properties to see if all the buttons work, when not ingame?
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
chipfletcher

Post by chipfletcher »

I had a look at the Control Panel for the R5 and those same 5 buttons don't trigger on the test page. However, the Moza software definitiely sees those buttons triggering like all the rest. So it is curious :confusednew: . Cheers
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

That is weird. Maybe contact Moza support, they must know what to do!
On a side note, had to Google and see the wheel - that's a freakin' nice looking wheel! :coolnew:
chipfletcher

Post by chipfletcher »

It is a lovely wheel and I can't believe how heavy and real it feels even though it has a tiny diameter. It has already made my FS22 experience sooo much better. Analogue acceleration and braking are brilliant improvements too.

I think I figured something out - the buttons are assignable in ETS2 and I noticed that the non-triggering buttons have a code 32 and higher. So I wonder in Farming Simulator is only listening for codes 0-31. This is really hopeful as I might be able to make an XML definition now that I have the code mappings. Will post updates. All the best!
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Good to hear! Hope you figure it out!
chipfletcher

Post by chipfletcher »

I managed to get an inputDevices/ XML definition working with vendorId="346E" and productId="0004".

Sadly FS22 still doesn't see those button presses above code 31 so the physical to logical remap fails to work.

I verified the other buttons can be remapped as the test labels I used in the XML showed up in the game.

Looks like I'm stuck until Giants puts in the ability to read higher button codes from gamepads/joysticks.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

chipfletcher wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:36 pm It is a lovely wheel and I can't believe how heavy and real it feels even though it has a tiny diameter. It has already made my FS22 experience sooo much better. Analogue acceleration and braking are brilliant improvements too.

I think I figured something out - the buttons are assignable in ETS2 and I noticed that the non-triggering buttons have a code 32 and higher. So I wonder in Farming Simulator is only listening for codes 0-31. This is really hopeful as I might be able to make an XML definition now that I have the code mappings. Will post updates. All the best!
Hey chipfletcher.

Just to give a little piece of conformation...
I've posted a similar issue in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=956&t=195795

It seems to me that the amount of buttons FS22 supports per input device is limited.
This is just theory atm but indications are it's true.

I have to totally different input setup (devices) as you but face the same issue.
All devices which offer a huge amount of buttons / inputs per device have issues assigning all of them.
And it's always the buttons higher up in the button count / id which don't get recognized. So I'm pretty sure there is a limitation.

Quite interesting for a game like FS which asks you to have a trillion inputs used / remembered / configured to properly operate your machinery. ;)

Just wanted to give you this little update real quick.

I've reached out to the support team.
Have you reached out to them as well? If yes, did you get any feedback as of yet?