Does the giants updater work at all?

farmermas

Does the giants updater work at all?

Post by farmermas »

Hi.

Just wondering if the giants updater works for anyone. I was offered an update today to the latest patch, and skipping the details, could only get fs22 to work again by deleting the updater folder. However now the game just instantly launches and no longer offers the update.

What do people do, just manually download the 13 gig installer every patch? Wait until the next release to have learned your life lesson and never purchase a giants copy again?

I guess the state of mods is a little more stable now, so it won't be that critical mods are still to be released and require the latest patch.

Also just in case.. the i also run mac and the updater has never ever worked there. This post is from trying on windows 10.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, good luck.
don_apple

Re: Does the giants updater work at all?

Post by don_apple »

Yes, the updater worked for me without issues since the release of FS22, first with a 10Mb/s down / 1Mb/s up ADSL connection, and now with 100Mb/s down / 40Mb/s up VDSL link. I usually get download speeds of around 6-8 MB/s for the updates and I've never had to download the entire installer again after originally installing the game on my iMac (running macOS 10.15.7).

Based on the reports on this forum it seems to depend a lot on the overall quality of your internet connection if it works reliably or at all. And by quality I don't just mean the speed of the internet connection, but also things like latency or if the internet connection is shared with others. For example if you are using LTE for your internet connection your provider might claim that you get a bandwidth of 100Mb/s down, but in fact this bandwidth is in fact shared between all LTE connections within the same cell (the same is true for Satellite internet btw.), so if many others are doing a lot of "data-intensive" stuff in the same LTE cell you might only get a fraction of the actual bandwidth.

Also what else is using the internet connection at the same time in you local household when you try to use the updater might also influence if it will work or not. For example if you are using Internet TV or lots of video streaming at the same time the updater might not get enough bandwidth do be able to connect to the servers where GIANTS provides the information about the updates.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
farmermas

Re: Does the giants updater work at all?

Post by farmermas »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Im on a federally funded broadband network in australia, the connection is quite good, though i only pay for the 50mbs connection so its limited. Via steam i can get 6 megabytes per second down as the upper limit (im connected via ethernet as well).

Maybe i should leave it for a few days? What happened anyway was i clicked "Install" and the dialog paused for a bit then immediately closed. Then when attempting to restart, the dialog would open briefly and immediately close, like something was crashing.

Im certain / hoping there's no problem with the key either, its from a physical collectors edition bought from amazon.

I just installed the class saddle pack.. and was offered to update (even though i was using the 1.1 installer from the direct download). Clicked install, and now the fs22 launcher is in its immediate crash loop again. Maybe its dns related?