Mac stuttering framerate

Tut

Mac stuttering framerate

Post by Tut »

For the past few weeks (maybe months - I don't recall exactly when it started), FS22 has had problems keeping a smooth framerate, stopping at random times for random lengths of time. Times between stutters can be fractions of a second or many seconds. The stutters freeze video rendering for anywhere from a split second up to even a couple seconds. Audio does not stutter, but keeps playing smoothly.

I was thinking it was a recent game update, like 1.8.1 or 1.8.2. But I dug out my old archived versions and went back to 1.6, and it displayed the same problem. Could it be something Apple has done in 13.0 or 13.0.1? Maybe some system extension or driver or whatever else macOS uses to enable 3rd party additions to the OS? I disabled iStat Menus, which seems to use quite a bit of CPU, but that didn't help.

Video of problem captured via command-shift-5 (no audio): https://youtu.be/q6TJSUaQDpo
ice_boii_1207

Re: Mac stuttering framerate

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Hello, what graphics card do you have? Also what processor.
Ice_boii :gamer:
Tut

Post by Tut »

Apple M1 Ultra says it all. It was fine until recently, so it’s a software problem, not hardware.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

The first thing I would recommend is to check the log.txt file of the game (see the link "log.txt" in my signature) to see if there are any errors, warnings or LUA call-stacks. If you are not sure what you are looking for then post the log.txt file here so that others can take a look at it.

According to the video it looks like you are using a number of mods, so it might also be a good idea to try a complete new career on one of the standard maps without having any mods activated (or even better have al mods removed from the mods folder). If the game then uns without stuttering then some of the mods you are using are responsible for the issue and you need to test which one is actually causing the issue.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
Tut

Post by Tut »

Yep, I’ve done all that. Log shows nothing out of the ordinary. Disabled ALL mods and created a new savegame with vanilla map. Restarted in safe boot mode.

I think I’ll try throwing out files in my App Support folder, like the various .dat files and shader_cache. Windoze users often talk about trashing the shader cache to fix things like this.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Tut wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 pm Yep, I’ve done all that. Log shows nothing out of the ordinary. Disabled ALL mods and created a new savegame with vanilla map. Restarted in safe boot mode.

I think I’ll try throwing out files in my App Support folder, like the various .dat files and shader_cache. Windoze users often talk about trashing the shader cache to fix things like this.
When you say disabled are the mods still in the folder just not selected as sometimes this can still cause issue. If that is the case remove your mod folder from where it is to say the desktop and let the game create and fresh one. If you have already done so then ignore all this :lol:
Tut

Post by Tut »

Yep, "disabled" equals removing them from the mods folder.

I threw out all but the current .sharc from the shader_cache folder and tested. Still developed stutter. Next I'll throw out the current one, then fly around the map to get everything totally re-cached, then test for a while.

BTW, I've been working on a mod manager app for Mac, so hopefully I can have that done, submitted, and approved for the App Store after the 1st of the year, in case anybody wants one. I'll price it as free.
yorkie

Post by yorkie »

are you buy any chance using a studio display , just tried one and got the same problem , it goes away on a standard 4k monitor
Tut

Post by Tut »

Yes, a Studio Display is my main monitor that FS runs on. I switched to my Thunderbolt Display and ran FS on there, and it still stutters randomly. I also tried running FS in Rosetta. It still stuttered and produced worse framerates.
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Sorry to say, but a lot of mac stuff just aint good like windows for running games. Not that you dont have a good computer, its just that they aren't very strong for games
Tut

Post by Tut »

Well, yes they are good at games. It was totally fine before.
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Tut wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 am Well, yes they are good at games. It was totally fine before.
Well I meant most of the laptops. Are you using a pc?
Tut

Post by Tut »

No, a Mac Studio, not a PC.
yorkie

Post by yorkie »

have just tried a studio display it had the same effect made game not playable put 4k monitor back on and is perfect , they are not designed for games