[KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

Wraith32

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

Post by Wraith32 »

IceUul wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 pm OK! This is one thing people are complaining about, that if you stand still and set the game speed higher than 1x, shadows start to change on the object you are looking at and they do not change smoothly.
This issue should be addressed, it should be more smooth or not change so often.

I can move around and play at 1x speed, but i get these shadow flickering and errors (inside red square, see photos) all the time. These are really annoying for me. Only way to get rid of these is to turn shadows off, but this will cause other issues for me. Anybody else have something like that?

Youtube video about flickering also (watch at 4k if possible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFK9PalkhU

The trailer has flickering the upside part of the red back.
Hey. I'm not sure i'll check after dinner tonight. Can you list me which lines and which values need changing? Thanks.
Eep

Post by Eep »

IceUul wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 pm Youtube video about flickering also (watch at 4k if possible):

That isn't flickering but the streetlight shadow moving over the trailer...
Wraith32

Post by Wraith32 »

IceUul wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 pm OK! This is one thing people are complaining about, that if you stand still and set the game speed higher than 1x, shadows start to change on the object you are looking at and they do not change smoothly.
This issue should be addressed, it should be more smooth or not change so often.

I can move around and play at 1x speed, but i get these shadow flickering and errors (inside red square, see photos) all the time. These are really annoying for me. Only way to get rid of these is to turn shadows off, but this will cause other issues for me. Anybody else have something like that?

Youtube video about flickering also (watch at 4k if possible):

How many do we have to change. There are castShadowMap="true" and shadowPerspective="true" and there are loads of them throughout the mapDE file. Do we change them all ?
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Eep wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:12 pm What red square? Pics look fine to me too (aside from all foliage casting shadows, which can be done with the foliage and tree shadows mod).
I installed this mod and things seems better now, but still has some shadow flickering, i made few 4k videos
to show what i am meaning, i think it is the same shadow glitching?

First video, look at the rim, there are no trees or foliage around the tractor, map is estancia lapacho, first i play with
120x speed, then 5x speed, this flickering is visually annoying to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1OJpYz0CM
Next video, felsbrunn map, early morning, made near default farm house location, first i run 5x speed, then 120x speed. Visual
lines and flickering on the tipper side. Funny that only the equipment has these issues, i do not see them on buildings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEJ_E_pcTY
The last video i made is when i drive around with the tractor, there are flickering and diagonal lines top of the rear window, they
move as fast i drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J785zKhLRQ

Ok, i understand there is some flickering also in real life, but this looks unrealistic and the diagonal lines are not real at all.
Eep

Post by Eep »

Shadow movement from sun/moon (directional lights) is in steps for some reason. Supposedly Giants is aware of this but FS has been like this since at least FS 2009.

Not sure if it's in this thread but someone tried changing the sun/moon light to spot (which have smooth-moving shadows) but it didn't work right. I'm away from my gaming computer so I can't test this.

Higher shadowmap resolution may also help and I think shadowmap angle or perspective someone also mentioned in this or another thread.
Eep

Post by Eep »

I'm back at my gaming PC and put shadowPerspective="true" (not shadowMapPerspective="true") into every spotlight of my test vehicle (a New Holland T6 tractor) and every spotlight in mapUS.i3d that casts shadows but I still get flickering at certain camera angles so not sure what KCHARRO did but it doesn't work for me. As he mentioned in a previous post, using debug F8, when the scene has more than 10 shadow lights, the Giants Engine only renderes 5 shadow lights (1 directional--sun/moon--and 4 spot) at a time. As soon as there are 11+ shadow lights in the scene, ALL shadows are removed from the scene. Lame...
Unknownerr

Post by Unknownerr »

Maybe higher resolution shadows will make it less noticeable.
Cryogenix001

Post by Cryogenix001 »

Any chance of an update from giants on this one?
LawnBoyDude91

Post by LawnBoyDude91 »

Really? Just the shadows??? No the issues are really a mountain load.

Day light is way too bright. Night is too dark and comes way too fast.

Everything looks like it is made of plastic (too shiny and too much saturation and contrast).

Biggest issues I see easily vs FS17.

No warmth tone shading. Should be warmer color tone in the morning, balance to neutral throughout the day. And cool off by sunset to a bluish hue at night.

Shadows are way out of wack.

Pretty bad when this graphics system from focus is a piece of garbage.
michele1048

Post by michele1048 »

from this engine you can not have effects that only a new engine can give. many things this engine does not support and has been exploited to the max
LawnBoyDude91

Post by LawnBoyDude91 »

Then Giants is stuck with FS19 being a load of stuff. And as far as I have seen and heard. It is not gonna get many mods that support good scripts. Also found out the best maps from FS17 (Lone Oak Farm) are not gonna get an FS19 reboot as a ton of the folders and files from FS17 were scrapped and the new ones in place have made expanded borders views become extinct.
LawnBoyDude91

Post by LawnBoyDude91 »

I forsee either Giants having to push a 2GB system update. Or be forced to push swallow the loss and losing a lot of fans. I blame the executives for calling the game a simulator with it being more of an arcade sand box game.
ozcomz

Post by ozcomz »

I just had to reply to this post to show the quantity of people this issue effects. The game is unplayable the way it is. Much appreciated for looking into this issue. We were all hyped about better graphics but the shadow ruins any effect the better graphics have. I paid money for this game and can't even play it. I'm sticking to 17 for now. Looking forward to the fix.

Maybe a mod that replaces the dynamic shadows with static ones would be a good option. I would DEFINITELY dl that mod. Then anyone who likes them the way they are can keep them. This would satisfy everyone Thoughts?
Richard Dower

Post by Richard Dower »

This needs to be fixed! +1
MarcusSpinner

Post by MarcusSpinner »

The shadow is still bugged? Haven't touch the game since release because GIANTS is not smart enough to recognize that this bug is not accetapble.
Xbox One