[KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

this_is_gav

[KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

Post by this_is_gav »

- PC/Mac/PS4/XB1: PC
- Game version: 1.1.0.0
- Vehicle/Tool/Model/Object: All. Fendt 511 in example.
- Issue: Shadows glitching continuously. Worse at 5x or 15x. So distracting it's unplayable at 15x or higher. High and very high graphics presets are better, but medium preset is particularly bad. 120x looks like a disco! Not just vehicles but all objects (eg foliage, trees, buildings).
- Single- or Multiplayer: Single player
- Steps to reproduce: Start game as New Farmer on Felsbrun and tab into the Fendt with the cultivator. All vehicles are the same to some degree though.
- Does it happen on a standard map without mods yes/no: Standard map, no mods.

Video recorded at 5x on the medium setting: https://youtu.be/is4HfaZszh8

Edited to add log file:
log.txt
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
JAMD15

Re: [FS19] Shadows glitching

Post by JAMD15 »

- PC/Mac/PS4/XB1: PC
- Game version: 1.1.0.0
- Vehicle/Tool/Model/Object: All
- Issue: Shadows glitching continuously.
- Single- or Multiplayer: Single player
- Steps to reproduce: Start game as New Farmer
- Does it happen on a standard map without mods yes/no: Standard map, no mods.

My problem looks the same as previous posters utube vid.
Attachments
log.txt
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

It may or may not be related, but I noticed a similar glitch with tree shadows. They appear and disappear as I pan my field of view. (As in when I turn my head.). It’s not as distracting as the plant shadows glitching on their own (as described above and which I also experience) but it is pretty annoying.

Just a thought, but it is almost as if the shadow rendering is (sometimes?) incorrectly referring to the camera position or perspective instead of the light source.

(If this turns out to be two separate problems, I’ll reproduce and make a separate topic.)
x3SGTEx

Post by x3SGTEx »

Also seeing this issue. On PC.
Twitch-https://m.twitch.tv/straightlinegaming_/profile
Twitter-https://mobile.twitter.com/slg_twitch
Specs-
Console- PS4 Pro
Gaming PC- Cooler Master pro 5 w/ ML240L | i7-7700K @5ghz | ASUS Prime z270-K | Asus GTX1080Ti Strix OC 11GB | HyperX 16GB ddr4 | Corsair RM750x gold+ | crucial 500GB ssd/WD 2TB hdd
Logitech G29 w/ H-shifter
Logitech T.Flight Hotas 4
Modified DS4 to joystick controller
x Lethian x
Former GIANTS employee

Post by x Lethian x »

Hi guys!

Aye, that's the way our engine renders the shadow movements....not much we can do here for now I'm afraid :( It's not a bug per se - it's the expected shadow behaviour we currently have implemented in the game.
How to report a BUG | How to post a log file | How to upload images
x3SGTEx

Re: [WON'T FIX] [FS19] Shadows glitching

Post by x3SGTEx »

Good lord.... and when you guys were creating this game with that engine you all agreed that this is how shadows should be? Who are you trying to convince? You or yourself.
Twitch-https://m.twitch.tv/straightlinegaming_/profile
Twitter-https://mobile.twitter.com/slg_twitch
Specs-
Console- PS4 Pro
Gaming PC- Cooler Master pro 5 w/ ML240L | i7-7700K @5ghz | ASUS Prime z270-K | Asus GTX1080Ti Strix OC 11GB | HyperX 16GB ddr4 | Corsair RM750x gold+ | crucial 500GB ssd/WD 2TB hdd
Logitech G29 w/ H-shifter
Logitech T.Flight Hotas 4
Modified DS4 to joystick controller
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

This is by design? Wow. I'd go as far as saying it's borderline unplayable at anything other than 1x speed. It's shockingly bad!

At 30x, 60x and 120x it's particularly awful. It's not just the tractor - every visible 3D object does this (it's just easiest to show with a vehicle)!

DeValiere01

Post by DeValiere01 »

First time posting here on the forums, big fan of FS17. Also encountering the glitching shadows - and the fact "it's just the way it is" is a disgraceful attitude from Giants. It ruins the game for me. Will be giving a negative review on Steam for this reason.

EDIT: Scratch that, asking for a refund. :sadnew:
Last edited by DeValiere01 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlD MrD

Post by OlD MrD »

Also seeing this on Xbox, it really is VERY annoying and present all the time. (Most notable on trees)

This needs to be fixed it’s bad enough to give you eye strain!!

I would rather have shadows turned off than this current setting.

I would also add Steps to reproduce
1 Load into Ravenport
2 Don’t move
3 set time scale to 5x or above
4 Join the shadow disco !!

Really that passed testing??
Farming Simulator 15/17/19/22 on SeriesX & PC
Current tractor : Case IH 1455 XL
Current Map : Old Stream Farm
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

I would also like to add that this issue should be fixed. The quality of the game with the shadows glitching is not good at all. I would seriously look into this. I would not be surprised if this is one of the causes for the stuttering I am experiencing.
catheadbiscuit

Post by catheadbiscuit »

x Lethian x wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm Hi guys!

Aye, that's the way our engine renders the shadow movements....not much we can do here for now I'm afraid :( It's not a bug per se - it's the expected shadow behaviour we currently have implemented in the game.
From what have observed, the game engine redraws asset shadows every 10 seconds @ 1x. This appears to scale evenly up to a redraw every 83ms @ 120x (I'm just eyeballing this, may not be entirely accurate). Why not redraw every 15 minutes @ 1x? That would scale to 7.5 seconds @ 120x, which would be very tolerable in my opinion. Then again, I'm almost never at 120x.

I like how the sun and moon move smoothly across the sky in-game, and appreciate that the light source is probably bound to them for realism. That being said, is unbinding the light source from the sun/moon and moving it along the same track in fewer increments a possibility? I would prefer slightly incorrect shadow length in regards to the sun's/moon's elevation angle if it meant lowering the rate that the shadows are drawn.

I find the "expected shadow behavior" to be especially unpleasing in an otherwise visually stunning game. I won't go so far as to call it game-breaking, but it's close. I'm not a game developer, and perhaps I am vastly underestimating the magnitude of what I am asking for here, but I would at the very least like to see Giants open to further discussion on this topic. I find the apparent finality of that [WON'T FIX] stamp disturbing.

EDIT: :hmm: I feel like an *$#%§* for just now realizing I could turn shadows off. This makes me a bit happier, but would still like to play with shadows that don't flicker. I'm a have my cake and eat it too kind of guy.
Hulkster

Post by Hulkster »

Won't fix, wow that's bad.
Even my spectrum 48k didn't jump that bad.
Mace71

Post by Mace71 »

What?! It's SUPPOSED to be that way?!
No way can I play with that strobing going on, it's just awful. You need to change this!
Memran

Post by Memran »

Won't fix?! Really? *thumbsdown*

It looks terrible! I have to turn shadows off to prevent headaches/eyestrain. :frown:
Mace71

Post by Mace71 »

catheadbiscuit wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 am

From what have observed, the game engine redraws asset shadows every 10 seconds @ 1x. This appears to scale evenly up to a redraw every 83ms @ 120x (I'm just eyeballing this, may not be entirely accurate). Why not redraw every 15 minutes @ 1x? That would scale to 7.5 seconds @ 120x, which would be very tolerable in my opinion. Then again, I'm almost never at 120x.

I like how the sun and moon move smoothly across the sky in-game, and appreciate that the light source is probably bound to them for realism. That being said, is unbinding the light source from the sun/moon and moving it along the same track in fewer increments a possibility? I would prefer slightly incorrect shadow length in regards to the sun's/moon's elevation angle if it meant lowering the rate that the shadows are drawn.

I find the "expected shadow behavior" to be especially unpleasing in an otherwise visually stunning game. I won't go so far as to call it game-breaking, but it's close. I'm not a game developer, and perhaps I am vastly underestimating the magnitude of what I am asking for here, but I would at the very least like to see Giants open to further discussion on this topic. I find the apparent finality of that [WON'T FIX] stamp disturbing.

EDIT: :hmm: I feel like an *$#%§* for just now realizing I could turn shadows off. This makes me a bit happier, but would still like to play with shadows that don't flicker. I'm a have my cake and eat it too kind of guy.
Shadows off looks horrible though and unrealistic. Did this happen on the Youtubers who were streaming before release? I don't remember seeing it there...