[KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

MarcusSpinner

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] [FS19] Shadows glitching

Post by MarcusSpinner »

x Lethian x wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:48 pm We are aware of the issue and will see how we can improve this in the future.
Thanks for acknowledging this bug, this is a really problem with a simulator you don't want squire clouds for example or shadows that stutter up and down. I hope you can find the solution to the problem, so the people know you are dedicated to your product and therefore customers!
Xbox One
Spartan086

Post by Spartan086 »

Thanks for having another look at this, I hope you find something that can at least reduce it, keeping my thumbs crossed.
DeValiere01

Post by DeValiere01 »

Interestingly enough for me, when I turned off shadows, my game performance improved massively - solid 60fps and no stuttering or other problems lag wise at all.Not saying this isn't in part my own hardware, but certainly removing the shadows has been a blessing. I can no farm stutter, glitch free.
MarcusSpinner

Post by MarcusSpinner »

DeValiere01 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 am Interestingly enough for me, when I turned off shadows, my game performance improved massively - solid 60fps and no stuttering or other problems lag wise at all.Not saying this isn't in part my own hardware, but certainly removing the shadows has been a blessing. I can no farm stutter, glitch free.
For Xbox it is not possible to turn off shadow. Still thought this problem is not only a console bug but this is also present on pc.
Xbox One
Eep

Post by Eep »

Does increasing shadow map resolution help?

From mapDE.i3d:

Code: Select all

<Light name="sun" translation="6.10352e-05 400 6.10352e-05" rotation="-35.393 51.396 20.8053" objectMask="67043328" nodeId="2262" type="directional" color="1 1 1" emitDiffuse="true" emitSpecular="true" castShadowMap="true" depthMapBias="0.001" depthMapSlopeScaleBias="2" depthMapSlopeClamp="0.001" depthMapResolution="2048" shadowFarDistance="400" shadowExtrusionDistance="320" shadowPerspective="false" numShadowMapSplits="3" shadowMapSplitDistance0="30" shadowMapSplitDistance1="80" shadowMapSplitDistance2="400" shadowMapSplitDistance3="400" decayRate="1" range="10000" scattering="true"/>
depthMapResolution is 2048 but looking at the day-night light cycle I think this is just a "step" effect of the sun moving across the sky. Perhaps some interpolation could be done to blend the light steps?

Another issue of shadows glitching as someone else mentioned shadows disappear at certain camera angles.
Eep

Post by Eep »

x Lethian x wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:48 pm We are aware of the issue and will see how we can improve this in the future.
Still happens in FS19. How could you guys "rework" the game engine lighting but, apparently, not even touch shadows? Still flickering, can't render more than 10 shadow lights, and stepped shadow movement. Come on...
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

Eep wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 am Another issue of shadows glitching as someone else mentioned shadows disappear at certain camera angles.
It seems that this problem is old for 8 or 10 years now?

While they keep limited the number of 10 lights with shadows, we will continue like this until the FS40 or more, YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE LIMIT OF "" 10 SHADOW LIGHTS "" for the vehicles, because as many I am one of the ones that edit the i3d and active the shadows

PUT A DYNAMIC LIGHT IN THE SUN AND THE MOON FOR A FLUID MOVEMENT TO BE SEEN, SO THIS PROBLEM IS ELIMINATED ....

I do not think that it is that hard...
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

Eep wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 am
Another issue of shadows glitching as someone else mentioned shadows disappear at certain camera angles.
I always activated Cast Shadow Map only and the same thing happened.

Activating also Shadowmap Perspective the problem was solved to me, they do not disappear in any angle, now they only disappear when it reaches the limit, I only activate the frontal lights and those of work.

I noticed also that although it is 10 in the conf, really only the GE allows me 5, the Directional that is always and 4 vehicles, no more than that, we must find how to remove that limit.

I also tried and changed the sunlight to spot and the shadows disappear all, and Point also regardless of the settings you make, that is already GE's problem, and the way it handles the lights (Pretty bad for a hundred) hopefully GIANTS solve that problem.
Eep

Post by Eep »

Cool that "shadowMapPerspective" will keep the shadows at all angles. I'm on Christmas vacation but will have to try this when I get back!
Wraith32

Post by Wraith32 »

The shadows are terrible. How on earth do i fix this. I tried setting "ShadowMapPerpesctive=true" but the shadows still glitch and move and update slowly. I am playing with a 1080 Ti with Very high settings and can't make the shadows smooth. Its unplayable like this! :/
Eep

Post by Eep »

Wraith32 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:15 pm The shadows are terrible. How on earth do i fix this. I tried setting "ShadowMapPerpesctive=true" but the shadows still glitch and move and update slowly. I am playing with a 1080 Ti with Very high settings and can't make the shadows smooth. Its unplayable like this! :/
Did you put shadowMapPerspective="true" (case-sensitive and quotes needed) on every spot <light> tag you also have castShadowMap="true" on?
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

OK! This is one thing people are complaining about, that if you stand still and set the game speed higher than 1x, shadows start to change on the object you are looking at and they do not change smoothly.
This issue should be addressed, it should be more smooth or not change so often.

I can move around and play at 1x speed, but i get these shadow flickering and errors (inside red square, see photos) all the time. These are really annoying for me. Only way to get rid of these is to turn shadows off, but this will cause other issues for me. Anybody else have something like that?

Youtube video about flickering also (watch at 4k if possible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFK9PalkhU

The trailer has flickering the upside part of the red back.
Last edited by IceUul on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eep

Post by Eep »

The Photobox links just end up at the main website and the video doesn't show any flickering that I can see...
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Eep wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 pm The Photobox links just end up at the main website and the video doesn't show any flickering that I can see...
I fixed my post.
Eep

Post by Eep »

What red square? Pics look fine to me too (aside from all foliage NOT casting shadows, which can be fixed with the foliage and tree shadows mod).
Last edited by Eep on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.