Volume Fading When Zooming Away

Oddbob

Volume Fading When Zooming Away

Post by Oddbob »

Why was this implemented? No one wants to have to adjust their volume when they choose to either zoom in or zoom out the camera while being in a vehicle! It is horrible! You set it where you want when zoomed out, and then you get out, and the volume is now blaring your ears off.
Stonecutter

Re: Volume Fading When Zooming Away

Post by Stonecutter »

Oddbob wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am Why was this implemented?
Possibly because that's how it's been implemented in the real world.
Oddbob

Post by Oddbob »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 am
HUH!
Pict

Post by Pict »

If you stand next to a tractor with it's engine running and look through a zoom lens, does the volume of the tractor change if you zoom in or out? No, of course not.

Volume of the tractor in the real world changes when your distance increases or decreases from it, not when you zoom in or out with your camera lens.

In FS19 the volume of the tractor is linked to both your distance from it and the zoom of the camera and that is just not what we are used to either in the real world or in games like Farming simulator, FS17 for example.
Oddbob

Post by Oddbob »

Pict wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 am
If you stand next to a tractor with it's engine running and look through a zoom lens, does the volume of the tractor change if you zoom in or out? No, of course not.

Volume of the tractor in the real world changes when your distance increases or decreases from it, not when you zoom in or out with your camera lens.

In FS19 the volume of the tractor is linked to both your distance from it and the zoom of the camera and that is just not what we are used to either in the real world or in games like Farming simulator, FS17 for example.
Yes, thank you!
Stonecutter

Post by Stonecutter »

Pict wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 am

So we should never hear the tractors than? Because when you have the camera pulled all the way back, that's 0X zoom.
Decker_MMIV

Post by Decker_MMIV »

Oddbob wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am No one wants to have to adjust their volume when they choose to either zoom in or zoom out the camera while being in a vehicle!
I do like it, oddly enough. :confusednew:

When controlling a vehicle and switching to 3rd person / outside view, when the camera is close to the vehicle the engine noise/sound is quite loud to me, even when I have set the in-game configuration of vehicles sound volume down to 10-20%.

Too bad that there does not seem to be individual sound volume settings for the 'inside' and 'outside' vehicle cameras.
Pict

Post by Pict »

Decker_MMIV wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:19 pm I do like it, oddly enough. :confusednew:
I'm sure the "sound engineer" who produced it likes it too, so at least your not alone :)

Do you like the way in which you can hear birds and dogs inside your tractor cab that has magically filtered out the sound of your engine, but lets you hear the AI traffic engines with perfect clarity?

Do you also like the fact that you can still hear the birds, dogs & AI traffic outside your tractor when zoomed out to the point where your tractor engine is no longer audible.

I don't like the FS19 sounds at all and this part is the small part of the problem. The sounds in FS are now so bad turning the volume all the way down has become a viable option.
Oddbob

Post by Oddbob »

Decker_MMIV wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:19 pm
Oddbob wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am No one wants to have to adjust their volume when they choose to either zoom in or zoom out the camera while being in a vehicle!
I do like it, oddly enough. :confusednew:

When controlling a vehicle and switching to 3rd person / outside view, when the camera is close to the vehicle the engine noise/sound is quite loud to me, even when I have set the in-game configuration of vehicles sound volume down to 10-20%.

Too bad that there does not seem to be individual sound volume settings for the 'inside' and 'outside' vehicle cameras.
Can I ask why you like this? Honest question?

If you want to drive zoomed far out, you need to have your volume very loud to hear the tractor nicely, and then when you want to drive zoomed outside cab, but closer, the volume is now insanely loud, forcing you to adjust your volume constantly depending on what view you want. Why does anyone want to have to adjust the volume constantly? This was never an issue in any of the other games, and I never once heard anyone, complain about the lack of times getting to adjust their volume!

In real life if you walk away from a tractor/machine of course you would hear the tractor less and less the further you got away from it. However this is not you walking away from a tractor, this is you choosing to zoom a camera away from the action to see more, because this is a video game, and driving vehicles in video games, is much easier zoomed out, plus you want to see your equipment.
Decker_MMIV

Post by Decker_MMIV »

Oddbob wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 am [..] when you want to drive zoomed outside cab, but closer, the volume is now insanely loud, [..]
Well yes, that is probably why I "like" the way that the vehicle's sound gets lower the further I zoom out/away from the vehicle.

Because "it fixes the immediate problem when using the outside-vehicle-camera where sound being too loud when close up." :hmm:

I do agree that the outside engine noise is quite loud, when outside and close to the vehicle. So that might be the cause why I have set 'vehicle volume' down to 10%-20%... which then muffles the sound too much when being inside the cabin :-? - Perhaps the percentage change in sound volume is too great between the inside and outside cameras?

Pict wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm Do you like the way in which you can hear birds and dogs inside your tractor cab that has magically filtered out the sound of your engine, but lets you hear the AI traffic engines with perfect clarity?
Now you say that, I haven't really though about those other non-repetitious sounds; birds and NPC traffic (have not bought dog yet).

So I did a quick test, turned all volume sliders up to 100%, and took a drive in a tractor around the map, turning engine off/on at places, switching camera between inside and outside, and this time took note of which audio-tracks that changed in loudness.

The environment sounds (birds, wind, waterfall) do get muffled when in-cabin. - The NPC traffic is a bit more difficult for me to tell when that audio source is moving. Though when its non-moving (when blocking the NPC), there apparently are no volume change when switching vehicle camera.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

The outside camera doesn't zoom. If it zoomed, then the FOV would change. But the FOV doesn't change. The camera pulls away. which is completely different. That is why you get to look down on the roofs of buildings. If you pull away from something it gets quieter. Which is why for most people the sound in-game seems quite natural the way it is.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Pict wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 am If you stand next to a tractor with it's engine running and look through a zoom lens, does the volume of the tractor change if you zoom in or out? No, of course not.
I had never thought of it like that, but that's makes a boatload of sense. I personally like the volume reducing when zooming out, but I wish it weren't so drastic. It's hard to tell if a tractor is running or if an implement just turned on or off or is running.
Playing on PC