Shadows disappear at certain camera angles

Eep

Shadows disappear at certain camera angles

Post by Eep »

- PC
- Vehicle/Object: Lights (spot) with castShadowMap="true" and vehicles and objects that receive shadows
- Issue: At certain camera angles shadows will disappear and reappear--see pics below
- Single-player
- Steps to reproduce: The game limits shadow lights to 10 (even if game.xml <maxNumShadowLights> is more). I have set my vehicle (in its I3D file) to have its spot lights cast shadow maps. The below pictures have the F8 development console command active to show how many shadow lights are being rendered in the scene and never goes above 10 in either picture yet, in the second picture, the shadows are gone because the camera angle has shifted slightly. The shadows should render at all camera angles if the scene does not have more than 10 cast shadows. It would also be nice to be able to increase this limit as it seems arbitrary and obsolete giving current graphics technology can easily handle more than 10 shadow lights.
- Does it happen on a standard map without mods yes/no: no (or haven't noticed)

Camera angle altered slightly:
Eep

Re: Shadows disappear at certain camera angles

Post by Eep »

More on this: apparently if there are more than 10 spot lights rendered in a scene, ALL shadows are usually (not always) completely removed. It's weird...
Eep

Post by Eep »

Also, apparently, this is an old bug dating to at least FS 2009. 10 years later you might wanna fix it already, eh Giants? It's a bad shadow technique!
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

At least I will continue giving tantrum, until it is resolved