Financial Statements for FS

Share your creations with us!
SimpleFarmer

Re: Financial Statements for FS

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Yn0z wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 pm However, I think that if we really wanna get technical we should also incorpororate labour productivity
This is entirely true if you were a real life company as well. You would want to know how much your or your employees time is being spent and what you or they are producing as a result. For this information, you as an owner wouldn't turn to the accounting department, you would perhaps go ask HR. If you read a set of financial statements they won't tell you the labor productivity of the workers, as investors don't really care about anything other than Salary Costs, and how they affect the bottom line. These are supposed to be Financial only, and not all-informative of in game progress.
Because everyone's time is of a different value, it is usually a bit of a mixture of how much time:profit and time:enjoyment. I thought to measure time to productivity before, but I think the best measurement is when you have finished said task and see how much you sold said product for, just to ask yourself if it was worth it and it should be pretty apparent. For example, if you just sold a batch of sugar cane, the answer is clearly no.
Yn0z

Post by Yn0z »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm
Yn0z wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 pm However, I think that if we really wanna get technical we should also incorpororate labour productivity
This is entirely true if you were a real life company as well. You would want to know how much your or your employees time is being spent and what you or they are producing as a result. For this information, you as an owner wouldn't turn to the accounting department, you would perhaps go ask HR. If you read a set of financial statements they won't tell you the labor productivity of the workers, as investors don't really care about anything other than Salary Costs, and how they affect the bottom line. These are supposed to be Financial only, and not all-informative of in game progress.
Because everyone's time is of a different value, it is usually a bit of a mixture of how much time:profit and time:enjoyment. I thought to measure time to productivity before, but I think the best measurement is when you have finished said task and see how much you sold said product for, just to ask yourself if it was worth it and it should be pretty apparent. For example, if you just sold a batch of sugar cane, the answer is clearly no.
in short, I agree as there are metrics to this specific element that we need to have in game that aren't yet present like output per employee per hour and then the impact of the market price mechanism when you flood the game is not exact either, all of these aspects would make for an interesting free market model and imply that efficient farming plays a huge roll in the profitability of the farm
Swedish_Contractor

Post by Swedish_Contractor »

Thanks for sharing this SImpleFarmer!

I always try to be realistic with my finances but my excel and financing skills are somewhat lacking. I downloaded your excel sheets and they work great!
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Swedish_Contractor wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm Thanks for sharing this SImpleFarmer!

I always try to be realistic with my finances but my excel and financing skills are somewhat lacking. I downloaded your excel sheets and they work great!
Thanks for the feedback - just a little note: the balance sheet will show as unbalance if you're off of by even 0.01, I will be adding a rounding function but you might want to know that if you are getting an "unbalanced" note.
LewisH

Post by LewisH »

Hi,
I was wondering what the difference between the two links you gave were. Do they do different things? Is it better to use one, compared to the other?
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

LewisH wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:29 pm Hi,
I was wondering what the difference between the two links you gave were. Do they do different things? Is it better to use one, compared to the other?
The second link is for the second year. When you start a new year there are some things that need to happen, like you can't count the income from grain in your silos again. It's already part of the income number from the first year. If it gains or loses value when you sell it to what you thought it would be when you put it in your silo you get gain or loss income.
I haven't checked on those in a long time but theoretically the first link is for your first year and the second for your second and beyond years.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

I was telling my husband yesterday we need financial statements. I'm not good enough at Excel to create it and, further, am not experienced enough in farming to know what is needed. This is great! Thank you.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:55 pm I was telling my husband yesterday we need financial statements. I'm not good enough at Excel to create it and, further, am not experienced enough in farming to know what is needed. This is great! Thank you.
Thanks! I haven't updated these for FS22 yet, I've been too busy preparing real FS's lol. Hoping to be able to open these up soon and see how they're doing. Let me know what errors and issues you face and I'll work on them when I update these!
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Will do. Thanks again.
HerbVick

Post by HerbVick »

Good job SimpleFarmer! I was hoping someone was working a better work around for FS' clunky financials. I tried before, but it only amounted to a checkbook ledger with a running balance, difficult to maintain with ghostly property income, labor and others. I was hoping GIANTS would do an update, more of a running game checkbook ledger that we could pull up a screen all automagically filled in with every transaction up to date. I'd envision even an extra cookie jar account accrued from chickens or from the greenhouses. As a game, it really just needs a transaction log to look back as you go, and once a year net worth statements to compare with past years. The game should show these assets in the worth statement, like depreciated capital on real assets and net worth of farm property. The game could make it simple, but it seems to want to keep you guessing.

I think I would get mileage of the game, if it had a common sense approach to the missing tool in the game, essential in the business of farmers.
iMac 27" Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

HerbVick wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:04 am Good job SimpleFarmer! I was hoping someone was working a better work around for FS' clunky financials.
Thank you! I have been meaning to update these for FS 2022. Since I made these I've switched to PC and have a handy tab to pull the numbers out of the html file. The only problem is they only go back 5 days and the rest of the history... Is gone :shock:
They wouldn't last long in front of the SEC.
GodAtum

Post by GodAtum »

Hi, thanks for your amazing work. Would you mind making a 24 day version as I haven't got a clue how to not break the spreadsheet :biggrin2:

Thank so much!
jokerneverlaughs

Post by jokerneverlaughs »

Thank you! I have been meaning to update these for FS 2022. Since I made these I've switched to PC and have a handy tab to pull the numbers out of the html file. The only problem is they only go back 5 days and the rest of the history... Is gone :shock:
They wouldn't last long in front of the SEC.
Is there any chance of an updated version for FS22? I've been using the previous version you updated for FS19 and have adapted it to make it work for FS22 (implementing productions and whatnots) but it isn't quite working perfectly. It is still a much better than the poorly detailed in game version.
Thanks
razmachaz_69

Post by razmachaz_69 »

Does anyone know why shareholder equity & retained earnings are negatives when i fill it in to start? Surely they should be positive?

It seems those are negs and then the formulas reverse it all to get it to a positive farm value?
razmachaz_69

Post by razmachaz_69 »

Equally, what do I do with buildings which are on a plot of land I buy.

If i buy my starting farm, 200k goes out but there is over 1m in buildings. How do i capture these properly in the sheet? Put purchase price 0 and current value correctly or?