A second chance - Yet another farm blog - Where noone else dared to farm

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: A second chance - Yet another farm blog - Where noone else dared to farm

Post by humbe »

And now our investment has arrived.

This'll make a ton of difference. The cutter will simplify logging considerably, not to mention add much needed safety, the stump cutter should hopefully be easier to operate, and with the timber runner we can haul more logs at a time, and a bit longer logs if we want to.

There's so many buttons here.. I guess I should have read that instruction manual.. What does this button do?

The Case manage to haul a full load, but it is struggling, even on flat terrain. Wonder how it'll be when we starting getting into the hills here. The snow ain't helping though. It kills traction, and makes it very dangerous to drive fast. Whomever figured logging was a good winter activity?

We just had to try the Ford too.. We expected it not working, as it should have little traction compared to the tractor, but it could drag the timber runner much faster than the Case. It quickly got dangerous though. Breaking was virtually hopeless, not being helped by using a dolly.
This is not the default Scorpion King, but the one from this mod: http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/p ... v1-0-fs19/ Especially the "Gripping radius increased by the cutting head" sounded promising as I've had issues trying to get the default cutting head to attach. I manually edited money to pay full price for it though, not the half price in the mod. It seems to be working well.

The Timber Runner isn't the default either. I'm "cheating" with an autoload variant http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/f ... v1-0-fs19/ If I had a good joystick setup I'd go for trying to operate a crane, but with a mouse, loading the timber hasn't been enjoyable yet. Testing out autoload here to see if I like it better. Found no autoload timber truck that has any kind of crane included and possibly some animation as it loads logs though. If it had an animation and a crane it would feel less like cheating.

The stump grinder is from here: http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/s ... v1-0-fs19/. I have no experience in logging or what gear is good to use, so experimenting a bit. Looks to simplify removing stumps by having a decent working width.

Not sure what log length to use. With the Scorpion King above I can cut up to 12m logs, and that would fit the Timber Runner, but I expect I will get better prices for a bit shorter logs. The autoload bit seems to always put logs in the middle, so 6m won't allow me two behind each other unless I load manually. I guess I might just set it to 8m which is the max of the regular scorpion king and close to the length I sold earlier for which I know price is good.
Last edited by humbe on Fri May 29, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

humbe wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 am We just had to try the Ford too.. We expected it not working, as it should have little traction compared to the tractor, but it could drag the timber runner much faster than the Case. It quickly got dangerous though. Breaking was virtually hopeless, not being helped by using a dolly.
Is that the F250? I tried downloading and using that but got a ton of shader errors in my log that was causing FPS drops.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Not to be annoying or anything, but would it be an idea to use the Giants image server?
All the pics you upload in here don't load for me =)
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
humbe

Post by humbe »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:49 pm ...
Is that the F250? I tried downloading and using that but got a ton of shader errors in my log that was causing FPS drops.
Nope.. It's a 1972 Ford F100 Bumpside

http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/1 ... v1-0-fs19/
Last edited by humbe on Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Alagos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:57 pm Not to be annoying or anything, but would it be an idea to use the Giants image server?

Oh.. Nobody else have said anything so I assumed it was working fine.. Went to an anonymous proxy out on the internet, and seemed to be working from there too.. They're hosted on my personal webserver and I've mounted it's drive as a drive on the computer I play, so I can basically just take screenshot and save it to the webhost directly, so it makes it very simple for me to upload images.

I'll see if I can give giants image server a try. I agree it is nice to have them hosted with the forum. I haven't tried it, but I assumed it was more hassle to get the pictures in there..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Alagos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:57 pm Not to be annoying or anything, but would it be an idea to use the Giants image server?

Thanks for telling me.. Didn't know that was a potential issue. What happens when you try to look at one of the images from my server? Timeout? DNS issue? If you see a failure I would be interested to know what it is..

Trying to move to image server now.. Will try to use it going forwards. It was nice and simple to use at least :) Any limit to how many pictures I can stuff in there and how long they will last? Will they last as long as the thread I'm linking them from?

Trying to update older posts moving from current and backwards.. 75 images to go :/..

There.. Done.. All images in this thread is now on giants server. I'll leave my old Ravenport game thread as is though. Fuzzed about why you can't view images from my web server. Sounds strange to me..
Last edited by humbe on Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I could view them, but I'm on my phone don't know if that matters.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

I wasn't seeing any images at all, or links to click on. Just a nice icon with the word 'image' as in something went wrong with loading the images. Kind of weird that it's 'just' me.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Yeah, I could view all the images just fine on PC or phone :confusednew:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
humbe

Post by humbe »

Had to test out the new awesome Scorpion King so we went hacking and slashing in the forest and we are laying it to waste..

It's not all flat though. Towards the end of the forest there's a pretty steep slope. The steepness itself is an issue. Logs keep rolling down on us or onto other trees we haven't cut yet. And we're having traction issues due to the snow and steepness combination. Not sure if tracks would have helped, but if we don't manage I think we'll just wait for the snow to disappear instead..

This could had gone way worse, but luckily the Scorpion King kept together and we could get it back up by using the crane. I did get a serious tumble and a headache though.

I don't think we'll dare try to get into these areas with an underpowered tractor and the Timber Runner, so wondering a bit what to do there. In either case, we might wait for snow to disappear before trying to transport the logs on the slope.

This is something entirely different than operating a chainsaw. It's a bit tricky to get the processing head to clamp down on the bottom of the trunk, but once it's there, everything else is fairly automatic. On the flatland I wiggled the machine a bit using the steering wheel to get the head into the right position, while on the slope we rather moved the arm due to traction issues. Just moving the arm seemed a bit trickier though.
Would have been cool to have joysticks to operate the crane here. Crane operation in multiple dimensions with a mouse is tedious, but trying to use wheel to turn a bit sideways I could mostly steer the crane either up and down to get the the right position, so I didn't have to mess with all dimensions all the time.

I think this modded edition is a bit simpler to clamp down on the trunks than the original, but it can just be a feeling.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Top priority, we need to sow crops next year, we want to fertilize it, we need fuel to drive vehicles and we'd like lime to lime fields when necessary, so we need to fill up consumables. Everything should exist at the border shop, and if we get a hold of that old manager, we might be able to get him to open it a bit for us if we're buying big, but while he has a gas station, and there's also one in the settlement, we really don't have a decent way of transporting fuel to our tank. We call up Stephen to hear about the gas station at the settlement, and manage to dig up who refills that when needed. We call them up to hear if they can drive on and fill up our tank too.

It turns out they can. For a fee of $1.000 per truck round-trip, they can not only sell us fuel, but also fertilizer, seeds and lime. Not having to bother with that old manager again, we just order a refill of all of it.

A few weeks later they show up one by one:

The fuel driver was a big pi** of all the snow that made it slippery to drive and said it better be no snow next time we call, but I tell him that summer might not be any better with the muddy roads around here.

That's quite a lot of seed and lime bags. We could have ordered bulk, but this way we got both in one truck round-trip, and we can use the pickup to haul bags to the field to cut down on refill times if we want to. Might reconsider some time later if we get tools with bigger storage capacity.

Ordered lime bulk. Need quite a lot of it when we start using it.

All in all the tab looks like this:

Code: Select all

Fuel - 8.055 liters                   $ 8.055
         - Transportation fee             $ 1.000
    Seed/Fertilizer - 10.000 l seed       $ 9.000
                    - 10.000 l fertilizer $19.200
                    - Transportation fee  $ 1.000
    Lime - 59.000 liter                   $10.620
         - Transporation fee              $ 1.000
    ---------------------------------------------
    Total                                 $49.875
    =============================================
In practice, we bought all these trucks and equipment, edited savegame to set farmid 0 on them so they're not listed in my garage and edited savegame to deduct correct value of the tab above.

I've found no way of filling up my fuel tank other than through some big fuel trailer, and it made no sense to buy a big tanker to do it, so I came up with this approach. A real life alternative not implemented in game. Not sure if transportation fees make sense, but looks good enough to me, and is way more than the expenses I'd get from hauling it from the shop.

Also, sadly a lot of the old equipment only works to fill up from big bags, so not daring to fill bulk seed and fertilizer yet, until I see that it works with the next equipment we end up with, and that it holds enough to not have to drive around with refill on pickup.
humbe

Post by humbe »

The new forest plot is chopped down and sold. Tree stumps remain, as the snow is covering most of them. Sounds like a tedious job when spring gets here. Now we count around $1.5 million dollars in the bank. Getting all the logs down from the slope was tedious work, but we managed at the end, largely helped by the fact that the logs skid downward just as much as our tractor did trying to get to them, so starting on top, we got some logs and sent others further down.

We had another family council to talk about what to do with all the money. Me and Kent are eager to invest in the farm, while mom and Ira wants to move back home and retire farming alltogether. Dad is in between. He would like to continue farming, but don't want to put all eggs in one basket. After all, our farm is currently small, and we don't really need large new equipment to handle it. And we have no clue what circumstance might occur a year from now, so having some safety would be good.

For now, we agreed that dad should take a trip around the area and see if he can find some equipment to make farming a bit more bearable, but try to keep expenses down. Apart from that we'll use some money to buy a bit of land to extend to, but otherwise save the rest in a savings account for rainy days if everything goes haywire.

The list of wanted upgrades is long. Some highlights:

A better harvester option. A self-propelled harvester that harvest in front so it's easier to harvest without destroying crop would be great. Bigger grain storage in it is really wanted too, and a bigger working width would also be nice. Probably just buying Stephen's old Bizon for now. It's cheap, and it'll do for the fields we currently have, and when we do get noticeable bigger we're not taking a massive hit by replacing it with a better one.

A better seeder. One with considerably more than 100 liter seed storage, and hopefully a wider working width. Ideally one that also cultivates, but getting a separate improved cultivator also works.

A bigger lime spreader. A lime spreader with 600 liter capacity is way too small. While 600 liter is doable for a fertilizer, it would be nice with a bigger one there too.

A bigger mower. Would be nice with a bit wider working width for the mower, and also one that still has curtains so grass doesn't fly everywhere.

A sprayer. The family is tired of raking weeds away. We need a sprayer to more easily be able to kill of the weeds. Stephen's got some old ones, so if we get any of those working, I guess that'll do for now.

Washing gear. And last, mom is tired of looking at all our muddy gear. We need some gear to be able to wash our vehicles and tools, and if we have money to spare, it would be good to fix some of those botched paint jobs too.
Setting aside a good chunk of the money we earned from logging might save this save from just moving straight to new gear I've used before. Lets see if I can still breathe some life into this savegame even though money came in at an alarming rate..
humbe

Post by humbe »

There's a demand for milk I hear, and we've got some stored up. A bit over 8.000 liters worth of it. Sadly our milk wagon only take 2.000 liters at a time. Hope we've washed it well enough on the inside.

8.227 liters of milk in total, and $8.224 for it. Not bad. And we were holding out for the first 8.000 liters thinking that was the capacity of the milk wagon, but no :).. I guess we should sell it a bit more often so it's kept fresh.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Me and Kent have been talking about what dad is likely to show up with.

Kent is pretty sure he'll show up with some John Deere tractor.. He may say he wants to save money, but he's a big fan. Finally as February is nearing end, we get a call he's on the way.

Interesting.. We see a fertilizer wagon, a seeder and a mower. All the gear looks fairly modern, but they aren't big models, so I'm guessing he found them reasonably cheap. Strange to see gear not full of dirt :)..
humbe

Post by humbe »

The seeder is a Kuhn Espro 3000. It has a 3m working width which is a 50% upgrade on the Hassia, but the big changes is that it need no prior cultivation to seed, and it can store 2500 liters of seed. A x25 increase. Wow. It also have a higher max working speed. 18 kph instead of 15. This'll be a nice upgrade. It does state that it requires 110 hp, but I think our Case tractor can pull it without too much issues, just potentially a bit slower than the max operating speed. We could try to boost the Case's engine too though. They wanted a $45.000 for it, but we're not that easy to trick. I see the Väderstad Spirit R 300S is superior with 2800 liter seed storage and otherwise on par for all other parameters, so we bargained the price down to $28.000. It's used after all, so we shouldn't need to pay more than a new superior piece of equipment.

The mower is a John Deere HX15 Flex-Wing Rotary Cutter. It's got a 4.6m working width, which is more than twice the 1.8m we had from our old rotten mower. It also has a minor upped max working speed at 20 instead of 19 kph. It requires 50 hp which is doable for both the old MF and our Case, and the price of $12.500 sounds fair enough.

The fertilizer wagon, a Bruns MBA 12000, can spread both lime and fertilizer, and has an 8.000 liter capacity. More than x12 of the old D028 bucket we were using. It states that it has a 24m working width. We'll see if that matches up when we start to use it. Max working speed is 20 kph, up from 15 from our old one. It's not cheap though, as we payed $24.500 for it. But still considerably cheaper (and considerably smaller) than the popular Bredal models.
John Deere HX15 Batwing Mower v1.0 FS19 http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/j ... v1-0-fs19/
Looks a bit different than the other mowers I've seen. Thought I'd find something a bit different than the default in game ones. Was also looking at a New Holland 116 Haybine model which looked a bit older, and conveniently also functioned as a windrower at the same time, but ended up with this one.

Bruns MBA 12000 https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... _id=141139
I didn't find that many options between the old bucket I had and the in game Bredal K105 which could spread lime. This seemed like a good one.

Kuhn Espro 3000 v1.0.0.0 FS19 http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/k ... -0-0-fs19/
I had a hard time figuring out what to bring in here. I first figured I'd bring in the John Deere 8350 http://www.farmingsimulator19mods.com/j ... -0-1-fs19/ but it's 6m wide and won't fit below our bulk seed storage silo, which I'd like to be able to use at some point. The options were more limited looking at seeders that doesn't need cultivation. Found some interesting ones, but went for this one to get some seed storage. Was also considering getting a front cultivator instead, but testing it out, I found that the front cultivator screws up the parts of the fields I've already sown if I don't drive perfect with no overlap, and that sounds like a dealbreaker. I was also considering getting a seeder and a cultivator, to drive separately, but ultimately ended up on this one.

Was also considering just going for the base game Väderstad spirit R 300S which is virtually identical, or the AgroMAsz Salvis 3800 which adds on ability to fertilize for about the same price with a massive tank, but felt a mod one that I haven't checked out before fitted the scenario. While I haven't pinpointed the location of the scenario, I'm thinking Kuhn sounds more like something they would sell there than AgroMasz, though what do I know :)