Green Hectares - A new farmer buys a farm and starts his retirement

Share your creations with us!
CaptGoodvibes

Green Hectares - A new farmer buys a farm and starts his retirement

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

My wife is making me do this blog. She says I don't have enough friends.

I'm a retired engineer and saved a little dough to follow my dream, a farm. My wife is happy about it as long as she can have chickens.

I haven't found a farm yet but I know I want to keep it small and personal. I have seen big American farms up close, and that doesn't look like retirement

So I'm shopping for a farm. I prefer England because I'm not multilingual. I want to use cheap equipment so I can also buy a sailboat.

Some of the farms I've checked out have some dealbreakers.

I checked out a dairy in Purbeck Valley but the cow barn was hard to navigate and I had concerns about the lack of a water source. There were a couple other things that bugged me like a timewarp I experienced but that's another story.

I looked at Sandy Bay Farms, which is for sale, and it looked pretty good, but I could tell I was going to get tired of the view because it never changes. Nothing ever gets in the way of the view forcing me to focus up close. I had the long view when I was living in the desert and I'm up for a change.

I have a leased farm right now so I can get used to the equipment but everyone speaks a different language. It's the Old Stream Farm. I love it. If only the local tongue didn't sound so angry all the time...

I'll keep looking and let you all know when I settle down.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
CaptGoodvibes

Re: Green Hectares - A new farmer buys a farm and starts his retirement

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

I found a local online discussion in the UK where a lot of farmers have seen and worked on a lot of farms that are currently for sale. I asked them to suggest which ones they liked the most out of a short list I presented. Maybe there will be a clear winner. One of the farms I saw was in Oregon, USA, and the pics look nice, but it's probably just a red herring.

They seem to be enamored with a clifftop farm several hours drive Southwest of London. They make a solid case.

I'll let you know...
PS4
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

The man that is leasing his old stream farm to me has made me an incredible offer. He has two other farms and if I manage them, I can get this farm for a song.
PS4
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 pm Have you saw this map? https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Thats a logging map :this:
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s a small farming map as well, sounded like they were looking for something small with a nice environment
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 pm Have you saw this map? https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Hi, yes, thanks.

I think I've settled on Little Norton for my English map.

So far, only two nits to pick:
1. Fuel tank at cow farm cannot be filled... yet. SOLVED: https://forum.giants-software.com/view ... 301707#top
2. Silage bunkers have metal fencing around the top that grab my loading wagon rear hatch and flip my tractor... three times so far.

I tried and failed on all the OxygenDavid maps... again. Always something I saw as a dealbreaker...
PS4