Spunky Dogg Farms & Forestry

Share your creations with us!
Spunky_Dogg

Re: Spunky Dogg Farms

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

While not technically a sellpoint, "The Orchard" is the newest addition to No Man's Land.

300TH POST CELEBRATION SPECTACULAR!

Welcome back Spunky Fans!

This is the 300th post on this thread and a celebration is in order. Strap yourselves in because we've got a lot to talk about.

It's late Autumn now on Spunky Dogg Farms and the crops are in, the fields are plowed and limed and we are winding down to winter. How did we do in our first harvest in Year 2? Check it out for yourself:

Year 2 Harvest
• Barley - 10,365L ($5,023)
• Cotton - 7 round bales averaging about 2,500L each ($39,077 total)
• Soybeans - 18,956L ($22,719)
• Sugar Beets - 37,485L ($12,820)
• Corn - 30,068L ($13,884)
Total: $93,521

As you can see, oh-so-close to a six-figure harvest. That's our goal for next year to break the six-figure barrier. We've expanded the sugar beet field and have added another one across the road, so I think it's a safe bet we'll beat our numbers in Year 3.

Cotton brought in some big numbers, but the high cost of equipment has us thinking potatoes for next year.

It was a tough decision, but we decided to go with potatoes for Year 3, given the high cost of the cotton harvester and our $260,000 loan. So, we ended up selling the harvester for $620,000, which enabled us to pay back the loan and buy a few other pieces of equipment we've been needing.

It also allowed us to build "The Orchard" along U.S. Route 83 on the northern section of the map next to the spinnery. It's not a sellpoint, per se, but will allow us to generate additional hourly income.

The Orchard has its own "dung heape," where manure from the cow barns is deposited.

I will say for a first-year crop, I'm pleasantly surprised with sugar beets. It definitely takes a lot of them to make a profit, but I'm enjoying them as a root crop.

We're going all-in on sugar beets next year, expanding this field to the road beside the fence and adding another field on the other side of the main road to the farm.

The current layout of the main farm.

As for what's next, we're getting our final grass cutting in for the year in preparation for more silage work during the winter. We are cutting the Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area now and may hit a few more areas before winter sets in. It didn't snow at all during our first year, I wonder if we'll get lucky again this year.

The Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area gets cut twice a year, once in late Spring and again in late Autumn.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Looking good.
Like the Zero turn mower! :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Gonna trade the old JD mower on one of those newer W200 models?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Pretty nice, gotta love the case
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Beautiful job Spunky, I always enjoy reading these. How many hours on the new savegame?
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Bryan83 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm Gonna trade the old JD mower on one of those newer W200 models?
The new W200 is 41 slots on console compared to the old JD mower, which is considerable less than that. I did take a long look at it though :coolnew:
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Dairydeere wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:11 pm Beautiful job Spunky, I always enjoy reading these. How many hours on the new savegame?
I am slightly over 220 on this savegame. I feel like I've been more efficient as far as actual time invested. I know in my first savegame, I was still kinda figuring out the game and how to do stuff, so it feels like I've accomplished more this time in a shorter amount of time.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Phila

Post by Phila »

FAB! Nice use of the MF20 aka MF135 mod...
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

It's late winter and we are back in the woods on No Man's Land.

Hello Spunky fans!

It's been awhile since we last talked and welcome back. It's been a slow-but-steady winter at Spunky Dogg Farms as we near Year 3 of our operations on No Man's Land.

It snowed earlier this winter and the white stuff has stuck around for most of this season. As luck would have it, as soon as we finished plowing and cultivating two new fields, the temperature plunged into the low 20s and froze us out of any further ground work for the remainder of the year.

Despite that, the winter hasn't been entirely uneventful. Six new cows have been born, which has started our milk production operations. That will have an effect on our manure system, which we use to feed the nursery and trees over at The Orchard.

The shorter days have also made it a challenge to get things done as tending to the animals takes up a good portion of the morning and, obviously, leaves us with less daylight to work on any non-farm projects.

As you can see in the screenshot above, we're back in the woods and logging the area that was home to the Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area in Version 1 of Spunky Dogg Farms. I'm not entirely sure of what I will do with this space, but am leaning toward a tree farm.

Collecting grass off one of our two new field locations.

Other than that, it's been the usual washing and winterizing of non-essential equipment to the day-to-day operation of the farm. Spring planting will be here before you know it.

I wish I had more to share with you at this time, but it's about staying busy and keeping the momentum going. I anticipate it will be spring by our next update and, as always, thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Winter is a great time to get caught up on those "neglected projects."

Great update as per usual.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Ditto
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Work on the "War Chest" has begun.

Welcome back Spunky fans!

Sorry for the lack of updates, things have been pretty busy at the day job. We just started Late Spring (Day 9) here on Spunky Dogg Farms and, as you can see in the screenshot above, we have started work on our "War Chest" logging area.
This area is basically where we'll keep logs for eventual sale to pay for new equipment, updated equipment and so forth. For those of you who remember, this is the spot the Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area was in during Version 1 of the farm.
The plan at this point is to load a few trailers with logs and store them out here until needed. We've carved out some logging roads through this patch of forest, which is the largest on No Man's Land, and have created a couple landings to support the heavy equipment.

We leased a D-11 dozer to handle a lot of the dirt work.

I'm not entirely sure how much of the forest we'll clear in Phase 1, but we will return on the back end and plant new trees in the places we've cleared to kind of keep the cycle going in the years ahead.
As far as the farm itself, all our crops have been planted for the year and we're off and running in that process. We're really hoping to break the six-figure dollar mark on yield this year after coming oh-so-close in Year 2.
In non-farm news, I will be getting a PS5 after being a winner of Walmart's "Press and Hold" lottery :lol: so Spunky Dogg Farms will be going next-gen in the months ahead.
As always, thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Looking good.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Awesome work, Spunky.

Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Just another summer day in the woods.

Hello Spunky Fans!

Welcome back for a Labor Day update here at Spunky Dogg Farms. It is now early summer of Year 3 at the farm, and we continue to work on our "War Chest" logging area while waiting for our crops to mature.

Speaking of our crops, the second round of fertilizing has been completed as we hope to reach our goal of a six-figure harvest (money-wise that is). I feel confident we can get there this year, but I'm also a realist.

In other news, I think we finally have the right combination of logging equipment. I've been very indecisive in this area of our business in the past and numerous machines have been bought and sold and bought again to try and find a good fit.

Those who've followed this thread for awhile know I've waited a long time for another dozer option than the hulking D-11 and that came last week with the D6N LGP. In a perfect world, I'd love an additional dozer blade option for this that plows rather than levels (like the D-11), but this will work and I'll put it to good use.

In separate-but-related developments, I'm scheduled to get my new PS5 delivered tomorrow (Wednesday) by the end of the day (fingers crossed). With Farming Simulator 22 coming out in a few short months, I have decided my next-gen gaming experience will start with the new game.

That means I've got a few more months to see how far I can get with FS19 and come up with a worthy explanation to continue the story to the new game. Spunky Dogg Farms will live on, as I've pledged to do, but how that will be represented in FS22 remains to be seen.

In the meantime, thanks for reading and, as always, see you up the road!

Spraying the second round of fertilizer on our crops.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging