Spunky Dogg Farms & Forestry

Share your creations with us!
DEERE317

Re: Spunky Dogg Farms

Post by DEERE317 »

No mention of the new excavator we can see that you acquired? :zunge:
Great progress!
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Great news as always, Spunky.

Just out of curiosity, is that bridge some kind of mod, or how did you make that?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Bryan83 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:11 am Great news as always, Spunky.

Just out of curiosity, is that bridge some kind of mod, or how did you make that?
That's a placeable on No Mans Land, two of them put together actually

Spunky, this is amazing. Just truly amazing. I enjoy reading this thread, anticipating what great project you will tackle next. I can't stop saying thank you for making us involved in this *thumbsup*
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

First of all, thank you all for reading. It's awesome to have great friends such as you all.

Now, on to the questions, lol.

As to the excavator, it's funny you mention that as I was thinking today that I should really do an equipment tour so you all can see what I'm using to do this. So, I will get that done.

As to the bridges, as Dairydeere pointed out, they're a placeable that comes with NML. They cost 1 slot each on console, so they're very affordable.

I truly lucked out on the placement in that the game will let me place them side-by-side as the highway is too wide for just one of them. It definitely turned out better than I hoped as I wanted one for each lane.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

EPISODE IV: HARDHATS AND HEADACHES

Welcome back all!

We are in mid-Spring now and we have just finished pouring the first section of U.S. Route 83 from the main road with concrete. As you can see above, motorists traveling north and south will have their own turn lanes onto the highway. We are also planning on planting trees in the median after we get it mowed.

My apologies for the jaggedness of the roadway edges. Since I'm doing this with the landscaping tool, I'm trying the best I can. I am anticipating we will complete pouring of the rest of the road from the bridge over Copperhead Creek to 82's Logistics to the north in the next in-game day.

I also promised I would include an equipment tour with this update, which is below. I also found a new way of loading logs with a telehandler, using a little bit of mod magic. :biggrin2:

This is probably one of our most versatile pieces of equipment on the logging side. A New Holland 180-55 with what I'm calling the Ax Men conversion (Pepe978 front lifter + dozer attachment by CSZ equipment pack + forestry mulcher on the rear linkage). This is the mini-dozer I've been wanting for awhile, just done in a different way.

With 180 HP, she qualifies as a medium-size tractor. She won't plow in the traditional sense with that blade, but she'll push snow, she'll push logs and will also level chaff in the silage bunkers. The forestry mulcher does what its name suggests it does and sometimes you have to raise it and lower it directly onto the stumps to get it to work.

Our 280HP Massey Ferguson tractor with the TT-80 subsoiler "road grader." Again, not having a traditional road grader on console means adjustments have to be made. You have to be focused to be accurate when plowing roads, but with a plow-and-cultivator in one, it suffices on the role play side of things.

I've gone back-and-forth regarding whether or not I want to keep the grader after we're done, but that will depend on the slot count situation.

Pretty much any project of the type we're working on requires a crawler loader and a dump truck. The dump truck is actually a Hulk+ truck with an IT runner configuration and separate tipper bed. The bucket on the loader is not the one that comes with it, that's a separate mod with a capacity of 6,500 liters and frankly, looks pretty good on it.

The loading wagon is something we brought along for grass collection because, as I've noted before in this space, nothing's wasted.

As was pointed out recently, I've gone with Pepe978's Komatsu excavator/processor combo. To be honest, it feels a little bit underpowered compared to the Hitachi, which is 52 HP LESS than the Komatsu, and has some issues with hills. Still, when you're on console you have to keep a watchful eye on the slot count and the Hitachi (when factoring in the cost of all the attachments) is a bigger hit in that department.

Our tree planter and mower. I know an update came out for the mower today, which will turn it into the mulcher it was originally designed to do, but I've decided not to update it as it works just fine for us as a mower.

I've mentioned it before, but the toy hauler is serving as the "construction trailer" for this project. When we're done, I'll be selling it (again, slot count issues).

And finally, our coup de grace, is this telehandler/log lifter combo. This took some work to make it work how I wanted it. What you're looking at is a telehandler with a telehandler-to-wheel loader adapter attachment (thanks CSZ equipment!) + NMC's crane arm + the crane traverse mod that just came out.

The end result is no longer a need for the double-claw that's been part of our logging operations from the start. No worrying about logs slipping out of the claw when you make sharp turns and stacking is so much easier. The best, so far, I've been able to fit in the traverse is four logs at a time, which isn't bad.

The key here is you have to get the traverse pretty close to the logs to make the tension straps work, but it does work. A pro tip for the telehandler is when you buy it, put the largest amount of weight (I think it's 1,200) on the back because as we all know, logs are heavy.

But, it works and it works well. Console doesn't have a traditional crane, so once again it's doing the best with what we have. *thumbsup*

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Adapt, improvise and overcome. Great work as usual, Spunky.

By the way, I just finished my harvest, so I'm fueling up the TLX 2020 with my new camper, and I'm heading out to the Fort Donaldson Recreation Area for vacation.

Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:31 am

EPISODE IV: HARDHATS AND HEADACHES

Welcome back all!

We are in mid-Spring now and we have just finished pouring the first section of U.S. Route 83 from the main road with concrete. As you can see above, motorists traveling north and south will have their own turn lanes onto the highway. We are also planning on planting trees in the median after we get it mowed.

My apologies for the jaggedness of the roadway edges. Since I'm doing this with the landscaping tool, I'm trying the best I can. I am anticipating we will complete pouring of the rest of the road from the bridge over Copperhead Creek to 82's Logistics to the north in the next in-game day.

I also promised I would include an equipment tour with this update, which is below. I also found a new way of loading logs with a telehandler, using a little bit of mod magic. :biggrin2:

This is probably one of our most versatile pieces of equipment on the logging side. A New Holland 180-55 with what I'm calling the Ax Men conversion (Pepe978 front lifter + dozer attachment by CSZ equipment pack + forestry mulcher on the rear linkage). This is the mini-dozer I've been wanting for awhile, just done in a different way.

With 180 HP, she qualifies as a medium-size tractor. She won't plow in the traditional sense with that blade, but she'll push snow, she'll push logs and will also level chaff in the silage bunkers. The forestry mulcher does what its name suggests it does and sometimes you have to raise it and lower it directly onto the stumps to get it to work.

Our 280HP Massey Ferguson tractor with the TT-80 subsoiler "road grader." Again, not having a traditional road grader on console means adjustments have to be made. You have to be focused to be accurate when plowing roads, but with a plow-and-cultivator in one, it suffices on the role play side of things.

I've gone back-and-forth regarding whether or not I want to keep the grader after we're done, but that will depend on the slot count situation.

Pretty much any project of the type we're working on requires a crawler loader and a dump truck. The dump truck is actually a Hulk+ truck with an IT runner configuration and separate tipper bed. The bucket on the loader is not the one that comes with it, that's a separate mod with a capacity of 6,500 liters and frankly, looks pretty good on it.

The loading wagon is something we brought along for grass collection because, as I've noted before in this space, nothing's wasted.

As was pointed out recently, I've gone with Pepe978's Komatsu excavator/processor combo. To be honest, it feels a little bit underpowered compared to the Hitachi, which is 52 HP LESS than the Komatsu, and has some issues with hills. Still, when you're on console you have to keep a watchful eye on the slot count and the Hitachi (when factoring in the cost of all the attachments) is a bigger hit in that department.

Our tree planter and mower. I know an update came out for the mower today, which will turn it into the mulcher it was originally designed to do, but I've decided not to update it as it works just fine for us as a mower.

I've mentioned it before, but the toy hauler is serving as the "construction trailer" for this project. When we're done, I'll be selling it (again, slot count issues).

And finally, our coup de grace, is this telehandler/log lifter combo. This took some work to make it work how I wanted it. What you're looking at is a telehandler with a telehandler-to-wheel loader adapter attachment (thanks CSZ equipment!) + NMC's crane arm + the crane traverse mod that just came out.

The end result is no longer a need for the double-claw that's been part of our logging operations from the start. No worrying about logs slipping out of the claw when you make sharp turns and stacking is so much easier. The best, so far, I've been able to fit in the traverse is four logs at a time, which isn't bad.

The key here is you have to get the traverse pretty close to the logs to make the tension straps work, but it does work. A pro tip for the telehandler is when you buy it, put the largest amount of weight (I think it's 1,200) on the back because as we all know, logs are heavy.

But, it works and it works well. Console doesn't have a traditional crane, so once again it's doing the best with what we have. *thumbsup*

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and see you up the road!
I saw a very similar tactic to this used by FarmSimGuy with a big bag lifter, and it is ingenious! Glad to see logs aren't a pain anymore lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Looks good spunky, I have a few comments for ya from an operator. Don’t worry about the disc, it fits the bill perfectly, we have at least 5 nearly identical to that and a bunch of bigger wisheks. We pull them with pretty good sized 4wd tractors so you can get some air into wet ground without getting stuck. You need em for mixing/scarifying/drying and even weed control/beating up sod chunks. You could even get a small 3pt one and spread straw when your done and do some crimping for erosion control. I also wanted to to send a link to this https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019, with a laser you should be able to grade a road top with this, I dunno how blue topping would go but its at least close to a blade, wasn’t sure if you missed it or not or had a reason you’re not using it but I figured I would make sure. Lastly my experience with komatsu is best described as meh, the line about it being gutless was funny, you would swear you ran em too haha.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Bryan83 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:21 am Adapt, improvise and overcome. Great work as usual, Spunky.

By the way, I just finished my harvest, so I'm fueling up the TLX 2020 with my new camper, and I'm heading out to the Fort Donaldson Recreation Area for vacation.

Of all the things I've made on No Man's Land thus far, Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area is my crowning achievement. Named after WWI flying ace John Owen Donaldson (if you read his bio, you'll see the connection to no man's land), it's just such a departure from the agricultural side of the game that I love it. You can camp, you can theoretically fish, you can swim and I have plans to add hiking trails to it as well.

I really want to make NML a place where you can live, work and play. In hindsight, I almost wish I built it after my current project was done just because of the slot count issue, but it truly is something I'm proud of.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

A section of freshly-poured U.S. Route 83 as viewed from the Little Roundtop watch tower. The road to the north entrance to Spunky Dogg Farms is at left, with 82's Logistics at center. The highway continues to stretch off into the distance.

EPISODE V: WASHOUT

Hello Spunky fans! Welcome back to our continuing series on the construction of No Man's Land through the Rural Reinvestment Act (RRA).

We're in late Spring now and it's been a bit of a rainy past couple of days. While that has made it tough to work on our road projects, the time has allowed us an opportunity to tackle some to-do items at the farm.

Late last winter, we erected a new potato barn (isn't that a restaurant somewhere?) that will allow us to process our potatoes in-house instead of at 82's Logistics. 82's Logistics will still transport them to the market, this will just cut out one extra step.

It took a bit of finagling to get the equipment to fit in the right place. We brought in the telehandler to haul in the sorting equipment from the shop and used our Massey Ferguson to place the conveyor belt.

As you can see, the plan is to open the north door, dump the potatoes into the hopper, which will deposit them onto the conveyor belt that leads to the processor. We'll then take the filled pallets out the side door with our skidsteer. In theory, this should work, but we've got to wait until our potatoes come in to test it.

Our attention has also been spent elsewhere, such as finishing the old logging camp at the edge of Deere Lake. Once the trees grow, this should be a really cool area. It's got a woodchips sellpoint there (I personally try not to build a town or gathering place without some sort of sellpoint as I feel I need to have a reason to visit the place).

Speaking of Deere Lake, here is the view from the new Deere Lake Overlook, which can be accessed via a turn-off spot along State Route 144. A nice spot to stop and cook a meal and spend some quality social time.

As far as actual road construction news, we have mowed the remainder of the route of U.S. 83. The road has been poured with concrete as far as the Fort Donaldson State Recreation Area, but it has been plowed to Raccoon Corners further north.

Continuing my philosophy of "nothing wasted," we've also been collecting the grass we've been mowing, splitting it between the silo at the farm and the bunker silo at Highway District 13. I've honestly lost count of the amount of grass we've collected, but it's easily in the six figures.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading and, as always, see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Great progress!
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Always great to see what's new!

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Nice to see US 83 coming along so well.

Mwal

Post by Mwal »

👏🏻
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

I just happened to see this on the testing list today:

[PS4|XB1] NMC Road Scraper

Wait, what? Could it be true? :shock:

You know I'll be all over this like a starving man on a Christmas ham if it is what I hope it is. :biggrin2:
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging