Spunky Dogg Farms & Forestry

Share your creations with us!
Dairydeere

Re: Spunky Dogg Farms

Post by Dairydeere »

All we need now is a movie trailer announcing the new saga :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

The end of another day in the wilderness of the Carlton Forest Reserve.

Hello Spunky fans!

An early Merry Christmas to all of you from the Spunky Dogg family.

As we shared in our previous post, there's some exciting developments upcoming for this thread as Spunky Jr. prepares to cut his teeth on the No Man's Land wilderness. A double major in forestry and land management, he feels he's ready for what lies ahead. We'll see, he is a Spunky after all. :biggrin2:

As for the rest of us, we are in mid-summer now of Year 4 and just finished with our second round of fertilizing on our wheat, canola and oat fields. Soybeans, sunflowers and corn are coming along nicely and in the next day or so, we will sell last year's soybean harvest that will give us our Year 3 totals for the year.

As written before in this space, the goal for Y3 was a $100,000 harvest. We think we've beaten that mark, but by how much remains to be seen.

The local DNR office asked us to thin out some of the northern areas of the forest reserve ahead of the fall fire season. Pictured is one of their watch towers.

We've been doing some work for the DNR lately in the forest reserve, thinning out some of the more heavily-forested areas ahead of the fall fire season. We've been averaging between $40,000 and $42,000 a load doing this, so it's provided us some steady income while things are slow on the farm.

Trucks on their way to the sawmill.

We've pulled a lot of wood out of the reserve, and it amazes us how much there still is to cut. We've replanted some of the sections we've cut and have been jumping around to different areas based on the needs of the DNR.

Other than that, life continues to move forward at Spunky Dogg Farms and for that, we are grateful. Thanks as always for reading and have a safe and merry holiday with your loved ones.

And, as always, see you up the road!

Canola getting some fertilizer love.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Government contracts always did overpay. 😄😄

Keep them coming, Spunky.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Looking good!
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

When you see it.

Howdy, howdy, howdy!

Hey folks, Spunky Jr. here to begin my side of this crazy adventure called life. As Pops informed you all previously, I am hitting the ol' dusty trail to begin my own tale in No Man's Land.

We loaded up a Mack truck and trailer with a John Deere 7810 (with front loader attachment) and a New Holland skidsteer (with log grapple) and headed east, picking up a rock picker and a mulcher along the way.

Back in the day, Pops started out with a crew cab truck, gooseneck trailer and a skidsteer and a whole lot of ambition. That ambition became Spunky Dogg Farms, which grew beyond its logging beginnings into a multi-faceted timber and agriculture empire.

And here I am, trying to do the same thing.

Unloading the tools for a new beginning.

The world Pops started off in is a little bit different than the world I now find myself in. The No Man's Land of yesteryear was raw, untamed, barely any trace of civilization. The No Man's Land of today is a little bit nicer. The Bryan Bros. Rock Quarry is in the middle of the map and the Running Deere Sawmill is a short distance away.

There are no official roads, only a couple of scattered logging trails and cow paths, so that problem will need to be solved just as it was during Pops' time.

Carving out the road to the homestead.

I've picked out a home site on a rocky bluff overlooking the main road in. There's an abandoned house trailer that can be salvaged to make a livable space until the time comes to build a proper farmhouse.

Unfortunately, this also meant clearing off the land to make room for the buildings to come. I've sent three loads of logs already (with one waiting) to the sawmill to make planks, which will help with the farmhouse and eventually, the crafting of furniture.

A load of logs ready for the mill. In the background you can see the homesite in progress with the house trailer.

In true desire to follow Pops' footsteps, lumber will be my primary focus to start this adventure. I am planning on getting into agriculture at some point, but that side of it is to be determined.

The Running Deere Sawmill. This site will likely expand in size and complexity with the release of additional logging mods.

That's all for now. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and be prepared for more of my updates in the future.

Catch ya later!
- Spunky Jr.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Good luck, Junior. We'll be looking forward to your new adventures.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

That's some beautiful work you've done there Jr!
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Your presentation is great! You have a super presentation and storytelling talents. I wish there had been something like this on FS 19. I recreated my father's childhood Montana US farm (a sad, desolate place in the late 1920s until 1936 when he joined the military). I used No Man's Land and the actual farm looked almost like an old grainy "vintage" picture we had. Thanks for all the work you put into this.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

The sawmill is up and running and producing planks at a good clip.

Howdy, folks!

It's Junior again. Pops is still working on the next update on his end (he's not as tech-savvy as I am), so I figured I'd give y'all an update on how things are going on my end of it.

We got the sawmill up and going and have a furniture maker nearby that helps keep the transportation costs down. The challenging part of it is the sawmill is producing pallets of planks at an almost 4-to-1 ratio compared to pallets of furniture. That's causing some storage concerns, but we're looking at striking a deal with another furniture manufacturer to try and even things out.

We've starting building some infrastructure (roads and whatnot). Not a lot, but enough to get goods to town and move materials to where they need to be. This is something we'll be working on more often in the future, but it's slow, steady progress right now.

Clearing off the top of Bunker Hill.

In other news, we cleared off the top of Bunker Hill that overlooks the sawmill. We plan to grow poplars on it to support the woodchips side of the business.

That's all for now! Sorry for the short update, but we've been concentrating on getting the sawmill in line that we haven't had a chance to work on much else. Hopefully that will change for our next update.

We've set aside an area next to the sawmill for a tree farm.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

too cute! I love your saga. I can't get the hang of logging controls. I just showed your post to my husband he started singing to Leonard Cohen's "Halleluiah" the following:

I walked right down to the creek,
It was full of toads,
I heard them squeak.
This game it seems ain't for the weak,
And yet it fills my life with lots of playtime.

I think he is making fun of us. Of course, Rocket League is educational.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 pm too cute! I love your saga. I can't get the hang of logging controls. I just showed your post to my husband he started singing to Leonard Cohen's "Halleluiah" the following:

I walked right down to the creek,
It was full of toads,
I heard them squeak.
This game it seems ain't for the weak,
And yet it fills my life with lots of playtime.

I think he is making fun of us. Of course, Rocket League is educational.
The logging controls are an acquired taste, like a fine wine. Once you get the hang of them and get in a rhythm, it gets much easier. Of course, I'm still doing things by hand with a chainsaw while I wait for Giants to whittle down the backlog of mods awaiting testing.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Nice going, Junior. Your a chip off the old man's block.

Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Taking the beans to town with Old Red.

Hello Spunky fans!

I know Junior's been flooding the thread a bit lately with his adventures, and while he gets his rugged good looks and boyish charm from me he can't load a log truck like I can, lol.

We have taken our beans to town, which gives us the final totals of our Year 3 harvest as we are now getting ready to harvest our wheat and canola in Year 4. As you can see, we had no problem clearing $100,000 and got within sniffing distance of $200,000. This allowed us to pay off $130,000 in farm debt and put us in good position for another (hopefully) successful year.

Year 3 Harvest:
• Wheat (12,239L) - Chicken feed
• Barley (8,975L) - Chicken feed
• Canola (17,661L) - $23,551
• Oats (9,595L) - $11,720
• Corn (31,532L) - $27,817
• Soybeans (19,198L) - $42,639
• Potatoes (???L) - $49,799
• Sugarbeets (138,064L) - $37,864

Harvest total for Year 3: $193,390

We continue to harvest logs out of the Carlton Forest Reserve and turned in another $45,000+ worth of profit on a recent truckload. We're in the process of moving some of our equipment to a new site within the Reserve called Shorty's Creek.

It's strange not having Junior here, but he's well on his way and as parent, that's what you hope for. I will say this, however, no one can push your buttons like family can.

Junior wishes he could load like this.

All-in-all, life is pretty good for us right now. If it ever stops raining, we'll harvest our wheat for the year. Since last year went to the chickens, we'll be selling our wheat this year. The new goal is $200,000 for Year 4, wish us luck.

See you up the road!
-Spunky (AKA The Old Man, Pops, Daddio, whatever nickname of the week Junior comes up with, sheesh)

The amber waves of grain.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Way to go on those earnings. I bet next year you hit $250,000.

Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Teaser tease of what's been happening around the No Man's Land world. Just a tease :)
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging