Spunky Dogg Farms & Forestry

Share your creations with us!
Spunky_Dogg

Re: Spunky Dogg Farms

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

EPISODE I: LET'S TURN SOME DIRT!

On the next-to-last day of Autumn, we began construction on bringing increased civilization to No Man's Land, with the largest public works construction project in 60 years made possible through federal matching grants as part of the Rural Reinvestment Act (RRA).

This journal entry covers the construction of Deere Lake in a spot at the bottom of the bluffs south of Spunky Dogg Farms. You'll notice that the screenshots look a bit different this time, as I've been fooling around with Share Factory on PS4. I think the border gives them a more Polaroid feel, but I'm not entirely sold on the look.

In the screenshot above, our staging area is just north of the shop and the toy hauler is serving as the "construction trailer" for this scenario. Given how I'm on console, some sacrifices had to be made due to the slot count, so bear with me.

I wanted to start with the lake for two important reasons: One, because I wanted an additional water source and two, I thought it would make for a really scenic view when put up against the bluffs with the watch tower overlooking the scene.

With any project of this size, in real life or not, you've got to do ground clearing. It's easy to skip grass cutting and go straight to plowing and digging, but I've always had the philosophy of "nothing wasted" and that applies to grass too. In my view, that's free money growing out of the ground in silage and less money I would have to spend to feed my animals.

Is it time consuming to cut and store the grass first? It is, but it's more about a long-term benefit over a short-term inconvenience.

I wish I had kept track, but I think I had accumulated in the ballpark of 60,000 liters of grass during the formation of the lake. Most of it went to the bunker silo, while I kept some in a crop silo for my animals.

After the ground was cleared, then came plowing. This is a large lake and the largest water source on the map thus far. We leased the dozer as it wasn't originally part of the equipment list but its necessity became apparent as the lake project progressed.

In developing the lake, we wanted to make it more than just a complete circle. Lakes are rarely like that in real life, so the edges are not symmetrical. There's also a spot where a boulder sticks out from the lake's surface that I feel gives it some extra charm.

It took us about four in-game days to build the lake, but I'm pretty proud of it. Its placement will make more sense when the entire construction project is complete. Deere Lake also comes with a small parking area complete with picnic tables and an outhouse (that actually produces manure) and a small path to the water's edge where fishing can be done.

The next episode will cover the beginning of road construction and my thoughts there. Thanks for reading and, as always, see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

And so it begins...
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Bryan83 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 am And so it begins...
Yes it does. How long "it" lasts, remains to be seen...
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

EPISODE II: THE BIG FREEZE

Welcome back all!

It's mid-to-late winter now and progress on our construction project on No Man's Land has ground to a near-halt. We managed to plow a section of what will be U.S. Route 83 from 82's Logistics to the main road near the shop, but cold weather set in and the ground froze.

It will probably need one more pass with the grader for each lane before we can start paving. U.S. Route 83 will eventually hook up with Raccoon Corners to the north before extending around the backside of the map.

Despite that setback, we have been able to log a section of State Route 144 where it climbs the ridge above Deere Lake. We have also completed construction on the new Department of Transportation's highway yard, which you can see in the above screenshot. This was made with a combination of different mods and is a basic fenced-in facility consisting of a garage with workshop trigger, a fuel pump, a bunker silo, a single automatic floodlight and a separate bunker for salt storage.

Someone could be able to mod something like this into an actual placeable, but I think it adds to the realism I am trying to portray.

We have also been planting a lot of trees. Our first shipment consisted of eight pallets of 100 saplings each and we've put about half that in the ground thus far. The plan is to reforest a significant portion of the area, so I imagine there will be many more shipments to come.

It is difficult to give an accurate estimate as to how long this project will take, considering work will have to be accomplished around the needs of Spunky Dogg Farms. Spring planting is only a few days away and we are excited for what Year 6 will bring for us.

My apologies for the lack of detail in this update, but frozen ground does tend to put quite a damper on things. Hopefully, there will be more to write about in the next update.

Thanks for reading and as always, see you up the road!
Last edited by Spunky_Dogg on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Great update!
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

DEERE317 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:27 am Great update!
Deere Lake is named after you, or at least your forum name. Route 83 is named after Bryan83 and I'm trying to think of something to name after Mwal.

I'm kinda happy with how things are going. It's almost like making a map in real-time with machines.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I'm flattered to be honored in such a way. Thank you.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Bryan83 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm I'm flattered to be honored in such a way. Thank you.
You've been a loyal follower (a thousand thanks for that) and I'm the type of person who believes loyalty should be rewarded.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Bryan83 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm I'm flattered to be honored in such a way. Thank you.
Same. Quite unexpected.

Spunky, would you be interested in a free Great Plains seeder? I got one from Tylercheesy for assisting his farm after a tornado and have no use for it.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 am

EPISODE II: THE BIG FREEZE

Welcome back all!

It's mid-to-late winter now and progress on our construction project on No Man's Land has ground to a near-halt. We managed to plow a section of what will be U.S. Route 83 from 82's Logistics to the main road near the shop, but cold weather set in and the ground froze.

It will probably need one more pass with the grader for each lane before we can start paving. U.S. Route 83 will eventually hook up with Raccoon Corners to the north before extending around the backside of the map.

Despite that setback, we have been able to log a section of State Route 144 where it climbs the ridge above Deere Lake. We have also completed construction on the new Department of Transportation's highway yard, which you can see in the above screenshot. This was made with a combination of different mods and is a basic fenced-in facility consisting of a garage with workshop trigger, a fuel pump, a bunker silo, a single automatic floodlight and a separate bunker for salt storage.

Someone could be able to mod something like this into an actual placeable, but I think it adds to the realism I am trying to portray.

We have also been planting a lot of trees. Our first shipment consisted of eight pallets of 100 saplings each and we've put about half that in the ground thus far. The plan is to reforest a significant portion of the area, so I imagine there will be many more shipments to come.

It is difficult to give an accurate estimate as to how long this project will take, considering work will have to be accomplished around the needs of Spunky Dogg Farms. Spring planting is only a few days away and we are excited for what Year 6 will bring for us.

My apologies for the lack of detail in this update, but frozen ground does tend to put quite a damper on things. Hopefully, there will be more to write about in the next update.

Thanks for reading and as always, see you up the road!
That is awesome. The yard definitely beats the transfer yard placeable on the ModHub
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

DEERE317 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 pm Same. Quite unexpected.

Spunky, would you be interested in a free Great Plains seeder? I got one from Tylercheesy for assisting his farm after a tornado and have no use for it.
Honestly, we got a new seeder just this winter, but if you send me a picture of it I'll take a look at it. Thank you for the generous offer. We obviously haven't planted anything with this yet, but I'm also a guy who likes having options. :biggrin2:
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 pm Same. Quite unexpected.

Honestly, we got a new seeder just this winter, but if you send me a picture of it I'll take a look at it. Thank you for the generous offer. We obviously haven't planted anything with this yet, but I'm also a guy who likes having options. :biggrin2:
About to send Pm.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 pm
Deere Lake is named after you, or at least your forum name. Route 83 is named after Bryan83 and I'm trying to think of something to name after Mwal.

I'm kinda happy with how things are going. It's almost like making a map in real-time with machines.
Wow, thanks spunky! I’m not picky either, you can name the dump or a lift station after me, I’m a construction worker so it won’t hurt my feelings haha.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:36 am

Wow, thanks spunky! I’m not picky either, you can name the dump or a lift station after me, I’m a construction worker so it won’t hurt my feelings haha.
Maybe a forestry tool shop in town? I want to say that your name reminds me of either some type of forestry hand tool or wood working tool.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Mwal wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:36 am

Is your screen name short for something? I'm trying to be creative with Mwal and it's a little bit difficult.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging