Spunky Dogg Farms & Forestry

Share your creations with us!
Spunky_Dogg

Re: Spunky Dogg Farms

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Carving out new cornfields.

Hello Spunky fans!

It's been awhile since my last update, but as you can see with the screenshot above, we are hard at work on another project at Spunky Dogg Farms.
We have been carving out a hillside alongside U.S. Route 83 on the outskirts of Raccoon Corners for some new cornfields. We think we can get about four fields out of this location and have spent the past several days logging, mowing and plowing to accomplish this.

With it being nearly summer of Year 2, we are obviously running out of time to accomplish this and we have two of the four fields planted. They have yet to be sprayed with digestate, as we're trying to get our fields completed first. The sawmill is right next door, so long travel times to unload aren't a problem.

Taking a load of logs to the mill to end the day.

Through experimentation, we've found that 82 Studios' new Phoenix tippers comfortably hold 4-meter logs. Depending on how you stack them (no sharp turns! lol), you can get between $20,000 and $22,000 per truckload. I'm sure there's more conventional ways out there to do this, but I just like using those tippers.

In other farm news, our other crops are all planted and growing and our animals are doing well. The chickens have been reproducing like crazy and we're expecting our first calf by next spring.

We have also added two more sellpoints on the northern end of No Man's Land in a spinnery (because I forgot to place one last time) and a manure sell station. That brings the total number of sellpoints to 14 on our version of the map and we could probably get to 15 if I wanted to add a digestate sellpoint.

Plowing the first field.

Other than that, life is good at Spunky Dogg Farms. We've got 83 slots available, which is a good buffer I think for both pallet generation and any interesting mods that come down the pipe.

Hopefully, by our next update our crops will be well on their way to their first harvest. As always, thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Looking good!
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Enjoying this journey, Spunky. I'm glad you didn't give up on it.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Bryan83 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:35 am Enjoying this journey, Spunky. I'm glad you didn't give up on it.
Being a Capricorn, I can't. The Capricorns are well-known for their tenacity. They keep going when most people would have given up 10 miles back. :coolnew: But in all seriousness, thank you. Personally, I feel the decision to try again was a good one as the map has turned out better than the first attempt.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

A new root crops factory has been added to Raccoon Corners.

Hello Spunky fans!

Welcome back and we've got a lot to talk about. First, we have our 15th (and likely last) sellpoint! A new root crops factory has opened up shop on the south end of Raccoon Corners, directly across from Rock Island Bakery. This factory will take both sugarbeets and potatoes and if you look closely, you can see the sellpoint inside the shed.

Not all sheds offer this ability and it was really a trial-and-error to see which ones worked and which ones didn't. I think it comes down to the coding of the individual mod as far as if it will allow this. Nonetheless, it works and I like it. :coolnew:

The outline for Field 4 on Little Roundtop is shown.

In other developments, we are nearing the completion of Field 4 at Little Roundtop, with Fields 1 and 2 progressing nicely with corn and the cotton plants have sprouted in Field 3. This has been this year's summer project for us and I like the symmetry of it. It's a lot different than square fields, but that's OK.

In this screenshot, the area at the top where the equipment is parked will be a parking lot with a shelter. There's a silo nearby too if you look closely in that area. We have high hopes for crop yield in this area as these are some of the largest fields we have.

Our first crop of the year, barley, being harvested.

Meanwhile back at the farm, barley and wheat have come in, giving us our first harvest in Year 2. We also have sugarbeets, corn, soybeans and cotton. We've really pushed hard to get the cotton fields planted and hopefully the weather cooperates for harvest. We lucked out with no snow (just frozen ground) in Year 1, so hopefully the weather plays nice once again.

Overall, things are going good for Spunky Dogg Farms. Once Little Roundup is done, we'll bring the equipment home and start making plans for our big project of Year 3.

As always, thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Looking good, Spunky. You paint a picture that makes it easy to imagine sitting at a cafe in Raccoon Corners, having coffee with the locals and talking farming.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Ditto
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

👏🏻
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Great job as always Spunky!
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

It's harvest time at Spunky Dogg Farms and first up is cotton.

Welcome back Spunky fans!

It's harvest time at Spunky Dogg Farms and at the time of this writing, we've harvested our first cotton field, as well as soybeans, barley and wheat. We've got our second cotton field, both our corn fields and our sugar beet field still to go.

We ended up taking out a $260,000 loan to buy that John Deere cotton baler, so we've got to make up some ground with this harvest. The good news is we feel that our cotton sales may take a significant chunk out of that.

Elsewhere around the farm, we ended up with 18,956 liters of soybeans that netted us $22,719 in profit. Due to the aforementioned loan, we're having to sell our crops right away rather than waiting for the peak time to take them to market. The soybean field wasn't in the best shape, to be honest, for our first harvest and had a mix of patches that withered or failed to germinate.

Hopefully, we can fix that for next year and get closer to our goal of at least 20,000 liters. We have also expanded that field a bit to the northwest to take up what was open space next to the sheep pasture.

Barley was okay, not great. We ended up with 10,365 liters for $5,023 in profit. It's one of our smaller fields right in front of our machine shed, so I'm not too worried about it.

Needed to get our soybeans harvested right away with rain coming soon.

A side project we've been doing while waiting for our crops to mature has been getting our silage done for the year. We've only been able to pile about 175,000 liters of chaff in the bunker due to our attention being diverted on other things, but anything helps toward that loan.

Working from the inside out on silage.

Hopefully in our next update the remainder of our crops will be in and we can release our totals for the first year of harvest. We are also working on a bit of a surprise in regard to what we're doing with our manure, so we hope to be able to talk about that a little bit in the next update.

That's all for now, thanks for reading and see you up the road!
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Great job, Spunky. Don't worry, those crops will come around.

BTW, which excavator mod are you using?

DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Bryan83 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:02 pm Great job, Spunky. Don't worry, those crops will come around.

BTW, which excavator mod are you using?
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Looking good Spunky!
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Thank you both! I've found the Broyt to be the best option for silage. It definitely has the best traction compared to the other excavators I've had. Bucket size leaves a bit to be desired (it's compatible with all Huddig attachments too), but it's a cool machine. I've definitely had the most fun with it among excavators. But, I've always trended older with equipment, but to each their own. I also want to thank you and others who have followed the blog since it began. We're nearing 300 posts and I can't thank you enough.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Please get some shots of the beet harvest interested to see your style and set up. Everything looks good.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

Mwal wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:01 am Please get some shots of the beet harvest interested to see your style and set up. Everything looks good.
Will do! Should be any in-game day now, they're in the final stage of growth.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging