Starting from Scratch (Or How I Ended Up in Ohio)

Share your creations with us!
JuanDiolosa

Starting from Scratch (Or How I Ended Up in Ohio)

Post by JuanDiolosa »

There I was. Standing in a Casey’s in the middle of Ohio, eating a slice of surprisingly good gas station pizza. I’ve never been to a Casey’s, much less Ohio. We have Love's in Georgia. Anyway, I've never been here - except that one time in high school when me and my buds ‘borrowed’ my dad’s El Camino and drove to Cincinnati to look for Drew Carey’s house. It turns out he lives in Cleveland. And Cincinnati is dang near Kentucky anyway, so it doesn’t count, right?

How’d I get here, you ask? Well, my old scouting buddy Wyatt told me to come to northeast Pennsylvania, since he knew I was looking for work – kind of. His family has a small farm, where they make apple butter in a big copper kettle, and something called scrapple. I love apple butter, and despite my incessant pleading, Wyatt refused to clue me in on what scrapple is. He said it was a surprise. I bet it tastes like apples. It literally has the word apple in it – tasty apple scrapple. He also mentioned something about light work around the farm until I could start making ends meet.

I’m no stranger to a tractor or a heavy machinery, so working with Wyatt’s family should be no sweat. I learned how to drive a grader when I was in the Boy Scouts (before they kicked me out) one summer when we were making a track with ramps for our dirt bikes. That’s the year One-arm Jake cut part of his pinkie off by getting it pulled in between the chain and sprocket while we were working on his bike.

We called him One-arm Jake because he was such a little sissy and acted like his entire arm was cut off instead of the very tip of his pinkie. I ended up getting my First Aid badge that year, too. For future reference, or so says the ER doc, a tourniquet above the elbow is not necessary if the bleeding on a pinkie is able to be staunched by a My Little Pony branded Band-Aid my little sister gave us.

I also helped my Uncle Bryan cut grass in the Confederate cemetery with an old Ford tractor and bush hog. He never let me drive it because he was afraid I’d knock over the headstones. But I watched him use the pedals and levers while we drank cold beer and smoked cigarettes. Can’t be that hard, right?

Road trip! Apple butter and scrapple, here I come. It’s not like I have a job, anyway, as I alluded to earlier. I got fired for no reason from my last place of employment. Apparently, people take issue with uncensored 80’s gangster rap played over the restaurant sound system. One can only take so much of Wilson-Philips, before you just want to come out of your shirt, throw your 40 against the cooler and cut some folks for messing up the salad bar.

I jumped in my beat up primer gray Lizard truck and set off from Colquitt, GA, where the local farmers grow cotton as far as the eye can see (well, as far as the next stand of trees) along with soy beans, corn, and peanuts. I’m leaving this gnat infested corner of Southwest Georgia for the land of milk and honey – apple butter and scrapple… good ole delicious apple scrapple, ya’ll!

Don’t ask me how I ended up in Ohio, instead of Pennsylvania. I think I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque, but here I’m is… Stuck… At Casey’s… In Ohio… No gas for the truck… and broke. That’s right – dead broke. Not even a dollar in my pocket. Who carries cash these days, anyway?

I guess I should have told my girlfriend Ginger that I was headed up to see Wyatt for a few days and I’ll bring her back some apple butter and a bag of tasty apple scrapple. She canceled our joint credit cards, told me something like she was sick of my childish antics, and wished me luck. Whatever. She probably wouldn’t even like the scrapples.

The idea of working on a farm in Pennsylvania seems kind of cool. Ropin’ pigs, drinking moonshine out of a canteen, and riding a horse back to the farmhouse when Wyatt’s grandma rings the triangle on the front porch for supper. Ding ding ding ding! Yinz come an git it! That’s what I imagine her calling out to us, except she don't say the dings. That's the triangle thing she's banging on. Then again, she just might say the dings... for extra emphasis if we are running late, or something.

Mmmm…. A big ole pile of scrapple and apple butter in a bowl just waiting for us to dig in after we ‘warsh’ up. I wonder if they say warsh in Pennsylvania.
JuanDiolosa

Re: Starting from Scratch (Or How I Ended Up in Ohio)

Post by JuanDiolosa »

The gravity of my situation hits me when a cold wind whips through the parking lot. It’s March for crying out loud! Why is the sun so weak here? Back home, its 20 degrees warmer this time of year. I briefly ponder what the difference would be in Celsius, and just as quickly dismiss such nonsensical high level calculations from my thoughts. Like momma used to say, ‘Leave the trigonomics and other maths to the poor kids that can’t afford no calculator’.

And to more pressing matters - I’m almost out of beer, and have only one pack of cigarettes in the glove box of my truck. I walk over to the truck after throwing my pizza container in the parking lot, and nearly jump out of my skin when I see a bright red tractor take the corner off the highway, flattening a sign post, and careen into the parking lot like a bat out of hell.

The driver – some petite wisp of a girl with a sassy pony-tail I might add – over corrects and continues across the parking lot onto a side road, bringing that 15-ton beast up on two wheels. She’s gunna eat it. I just know it. Look out, Miss! Time slows to a crawl as the big red tractor screams across a dirt side road and into the parking lot of what looks to be an egg plant. No, not the purple kind. That would be silly. The white kind. From hens. You know… the Foghorn Leghorn Chicken hens. Crates upon crates of eggs are in the process of being loaded into a warehouse and this monster tractor with an odd red paint job is heading straight for them. This is going to be slightly messy.

At the last minute, Miss Sassy-Pony brings the tractor back down on all four wheels, but crashes into the loading dock, barely missing all those eggs. I’m running toward the egg plant and the chaotic scene of that tractor still in gear spinning its tires, blocked by the main warehouse building. It’s as if Miss Sassy Tail (I can’t decide which name I like best) is trying to demolish the building with that red… Oh, I see it now… CASE IH… With that Case tractor! The engine is at full RPM, spinning on the pavement making a helluva racket and the driver is sitting there like she just didn’t almost kill 43 people and crush a billion eggs to bits.

Miss! Ma’am! Hey, you! Little lady! I’m screaming at the top of my lungs trying to get the attention of Miss Zombie Pony. She must be in full on shock. She’s even got a slightly disturbing half-smirk. Oh, Lawd… she’s done gone re-gressed… sorry, momma says to call them short bus kids, and not re-gressed. Some folk have sensitive skin. I briefly close my eyes and step up on the tractor to open the door. I say a silent prayer she doesn’t go into a fit when she sees me. Them regress kids have some kind of Hulk-strength sometimes.

As soon as I open the cab door and my eyes at the same time, the tractor cuts off and the driver seat is empty. Woah. Miss Smirky-Tail is nowhere to be seen. In the deafening silence after the roar of the engine, I hear the hydraulics giving way, and the ticks and pops of a piece of hard run farm equipment settling back into itself – almost as if it were relieved to be free from the clutches of a re-… short bus person.

The only thing in the cab is a sheaf of papers, which look to be some sort of binding contract for field work nearby. At the top of the first page, I can make out the name of the person contracted for the work. Helper D. Now, what kind of fool name is that? Helper D?
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

JuanDiolosa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 am
Th gravity of my situation hits me :blushnew: when a cold wind whips through the parking lot. It’s March for crying out loud! Why is the sun so weak here? Back home, its 20 degrees warmer this time of year. I briefly ponder what the difference would be in Celsius, and just as quickly dismiss such nonsensical high level calculations from my thoughts. Like momma used to say, ‘Leave the trigonomics and other maths to the poor kids that can’t afford no calculator’.

And to more pressing matters - I’m almost out of beer, and have only one pack of cigarettes in the glove box of my truck. I walk over to the truck after throwing my pizza container in the parking lot, and nearly jump out of my skin when I see a bright red tractor take the corner off the highway, flattening a sign post, and careen into the parking lot like a bat out of hell.

The driver – some petite wisp of a girl with a sassy pony-tail I might add – over corrects and continues across the parking lot onto a side road, bringing that 15-ton beast up on two wheels. She’s gunna eat it. I just know it. Look out, Miss! Time slows to a crawl as the big red tractor screams across a dirt side road and into the parking lot of what looks to be an egg plant. No, not the purple kind. That would be silly. The white kind. From hens. You know… the Foghorn Leghorn Chicken hens. Crates upon crates of eggs are in the process of being loaded into a warehouse and this monster tractor with an odd red paint job is heading straight for them. This is going to be slightly messy.

At the last minute, Miss Sassy-Pony brings the tractor back down on all four wheels, but crashes into the loading dock, barely missing all those eggs. I’m running toward the egg plant and the chaotic scene of that tractor still in gear spinning its tires, blocked by the main warehouse building. It’s as if Miss Sassy Tail (I can’t decide which name I like best) is trying to demolish the building with that red… Oh, I see it now… CASE IH… With that Case tractor! The engine is at full RPM, spinning on the pavement making a helluva racket and the driver is sitting there like she just didn’t almost kill 43 people and crush a billion eggs to bits.

Miss! Ma’am! Hey, you! Little lady! I’m screaming at the top of my lungs trying to get the attention of Miss Zombie Pony. She must be in full on shock. She’s even got a slightly disturbing half-smirk. Oh, Lawd… she’s done gone re-gressed… sorry, momma says to call them short bus kids, and not re-gressed. Some folk have sensitive skin. I briefly close my eyes and step up on the tractor to open the door. I say a silent prayer she doesn’t go into a fit when she sees me. Them regress kids have some kind of Hulk-strength sometimes.

As soon as I open the cab door and my eyes at the same time, the tractor cuts off and the driver seat is empty. Woah. Miss Smirky-Tail is nowhere to be seen. In the deafening silence after the roar of the engine, I hear the hydraulics giving way, and the ticks and pops of a piece of hard run farm equipment settling back into itself – almost as if it were relieved to be free from the clutches of a re-… short bus person.

The only thing in the cab is a sheaf of papers, which look to be some sort of binding contract for field work nearby. At the top of the first page, I can make out the name of the person contracted for the work. Helper D. Now, what kind of fool name is that? Helper D?
what next? :search:
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

Game Settings and Ruleset
Platform: PC
Map: Midwest Horizon
Economy: Hard
Starting cash: 0
Loans: Not allowed
Leasing: Not allowed unless borrowing on contracts
Seasons: 9-day
Crop Destruction: On
Plow: No
Lime: Yes
Weeds: Yes (may change)
Helper Refills: No
Use of contract vehicles: Multiple contract usage only for issuer of contract
Starting vehicle: Lizard Rodeo (bumper + work lights, fan, lift kit, paint) New @ $47150. Edited to .7 dirt/wear, 30k hours and ¼ tank fuel. Repaired to 100%. New adjusted value @ $1414.
Time Scale: Variable, to pass time overnight or whatever other reason I need. Mostly 5-sec, but never more than x1200
Starting Farm: None
Max Workers: 2 + 1 (2 semi-autonomous, and the 1 is just me being lazy)
Worker Wages: 100% if more than just me, otherwise 0%
CoursePlay: Yes, for fieldwork
AutoDrive: Yes, but need to spend time creating the network
Engine upgrades: Must sell vehicle before upgrading engine.
Tractors and Harvesters: Case IH (including prior branding/ownership/partnerships)
Other Vehicles and Implements: First choice must be Case IH, followed by any North American brand. If implement can be bought/serviced at a North American dealership, then it is fair game. Non-NA implements and vehicles may be used if no other choice is available, especially if I can paint it Case Red. Does not apply to tractors or harvesters.
Structures: Try to keep it a North American feel
Cheats: Only as a Save recovery, or game limitation
Reset to Shop: Sure, since there is a consequence
Field Crossings: No. Drive on the roads.
Forestry: Limited scale. No processors or any other heavy forestry equipment
Silos: Single fruit
Subsidies: No
Snow: Don’t eat the yellow kind (Thanks FarmBoss)
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

As I’m standing on the side of the tractor, a crowd of survivors begin to gather around, wiping their brow and exchanging relieved glances at one another. I’m positive they were – every one of them – close to being hamburger meat in the Casey’s parking lot, and they know it! One of the dock workers steps out from behind a box of eggs shaking his head, as if trying to erase the memory of almost becoming an ingredient in an asphalt omelet.

Whew! That must be one tough tractor, because there’s not a scratch on it from where young Miss Hulk-Tail ran into the loading dock. Case! That must be some sort of engineering magic at work. I saw Uncle Bryan run over dead pole cat once with his old Ford, and it dang near broke the axle, and tore a set of hydraulics from their fittings.

A commotion near the back of the crowd catches my attention and I see a stocky auburn haired fella pushing his way through towards the wrecked out tractor.

“Helper D! Ich hab jetzt echt die nase voll!” he yelled shaking a fist in my direction. Ole boy was looking at me as he shouted some more Romulan or Kzinti curses, and coming closer by the second as he pushed people out of his way.

The weird thing… his face was all peeled back like little staples were holding his skin around his eyes in place, and he had a mouth like the Jack Nicholson Joker. Holy smokes! This guy could be a villain in the next Batman.

JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

As he approached, I stepped down off the tractor, feeling the reassuring pressure of my in-band holster concealing my 1911U 45, and squared off against Joker – just in case he felt a little froggy. When he got a little closer, I decided to take a different approach, seeings how I was new around these parts. Not to mention several witnesses. I’ve only got 7 rounds, and my extra magazines were in my truck, 100 yards away.

I put my hand up in the Vulcan style, and said, “Sa da tay, my main daimie.” As I did so, I turned a little toward the sun to let its light catch my belt buckle.

That stopped him dead in his tracks. He looked me up and down in Joker surprise, and seemed to calm somewhat only a moment later. He answered back in perfect English, “Sine your piddy on the runny kine.” and showed me his own belt buckle.

And we both shouted in unison, “Sepatown!”

That was the beginning of a great friendship that would last a lifetime.

“Hello, friend.” He said cordially. “They call me Holzman. Dieter Holzman. I own a few parcels of land around here, and it looks like you’re standing on one of my tractors. Any idea of where the Helper operating it ran off to?”

I briefly relay what transpired just before he arrived, including the sudden disappearance of the driver.

“Oh, ho!” he exclaims. “When I first came on scene I thought you were the driver, Helper D. I contracted a Helper to ‘help’ me finish up with some field work just down the road, and before I paid out, I asked that my tractor be ferried over to the dealership for some maintenance. I guess the complex instructions confused the poor Helper and it wrecked out. They have tendency to do that, you know.”

I nodded in agreement, but I was lost after the first two words, my eyes glazing.

“Look,” he said, “If you’re up for it, and can handle heavy farm equipment, I could use a real ‘Helper’. The models they are pushing out these days from the factory aren’t really that smart, you know?”

Slow blink.

I come around, a little. “Sure! I grew up on a cotton farm in South Georgia driving combines, tractors, excavators, and all sorts of things”, I fibbed. “And I sure could use some work, right now.”

“Perfect,” Dieter stated, his unnerving smile growing even larger.

We shook hands and he explained what needed to be done in one of his fields, how long I have to do it, and what equipment he has ready for me to use. He also gave me an idea of what he’d pay for the job - which is what I was most interested in.

Easy peasy. Wait. Hol'up, a sec. What kind of tractor is this? Lawd Jesus, hep me. It's got Celsius on the displays.

JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

You know that scene in the Matrix, where Neo wakes up from a download of skills, and he realizes he knows Kung-Fu?

Climbing into the Steyr 6300, and taking hold of the joystick - for just a split second - I suddenly knew how to operate it. The knowledge did not come in a flash of light or color, or by stepping into some other reality. I just knew the entire operational procedures of the tractor and what applications it can be used for. Not flawlessly, mind you, like Neo and his Kung-Fu - but well enough.

I needed beer. Or seven.

As I confidently started the tractor and attached the cultivator, my new found friend and benefactor flashed a knowing smile my way and disappeared into the crowd of people still gawking at the scene of the accident.

Woah. Kung-Fu, indeed.

Okay, let's pull out the contract and take a look at the GPS coordinates of the field entrance. After putting the closest address into my iPhone, I plotted a route that would take me to the north to a smallish field tucked away behind a stand of trees and bordering a creek.

Dieter owns this property, and there is a house located there. Maybe he's got something to drink in the fridge. Let's check it out, son. Hopefully, someone is home. Or let's not hope. If ya'll know what I mean.

Here I am pulling up to the property. The field is located just beyond the house and marked 71 on the map.

FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

FSarndrone wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 pm
JuanDiolosa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 am
Th gravity of my situation hits me :blushnew: when a cold wind whips through the parking lot. It’s March for crying out loud! Why is the sun so weak here? Back home, its 20 degrees warmer this time of year. I briefly ponder what the difference would be in Celsius, and just as quickly dismiss such nonsensical high level calculations from my thoughts. Like momma used to say, ‘Leave the trigonomics and other maths to the poor kids that can’t afford no calculator’.

what next? :search:
Again please :blushnew:
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

As I pull into the driveway, I notice the house is not in use. There are cobwebs covering the entry, and the lawn looks unkempt. In fact, as I pass by the utility entrance, I do not see a meter. Oh, well. So much for a cold one. Let's get to it, there's work to be done, and new skills to try out.

I steer the Steyr (say that five times fast) past the empty garages and field in dire need of work, then onto the path leading back through the woods toward the field I am hired to cultivate.
The ground here is pretty soggy, but the tractor just moves through it with zero issue despite pulling 6 and a half tons of cultivator, eventually emerging into the work area.
I drive the perimeter of the field just to make sure I'm not going to run over anything (or anyone), and to check the clearance of the tree line and embankment down to the creek.
Satisfied with the field edges, I plot an initial circular course as a sort of quasi-headland area followed by few straight rows on the interior.
Christ on the Cross! The racket those dang crows are making is driving me batty. I swear if I get the chance, I'm going to cultivate the entire herd. Murder the murder, if you will.
Devil birds is what mama calls them. Straight up Satan's Little Helpers.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

👍🏻👏🏻
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

The fieldwork didn't take very long at all, especially since I oddly seemed to have a fairly good grasp of how to actually work the equipment. Sure, there were periods of time when I got nervous following the track I plotted, especially near the creek bed, but for the most part, it was a mind numbingly simple operation.
Finishing up the field, my iPhone beeps a notification and I pull up the message to see a list of available contracts and my current agreement with Dieter. Apparently, he has wired me the promised amount, and it is waiting for transfer to my bank account. How in the world does he know my bank account information?

Hold on a sec. I don't have a bank account! The Internal Revenue Service seized all that two years ago for unpaid taxes, on top of the state court ordering restitution to a so-called 'professional' Chinese Karaoke singer and her Chihuahua... well, those are stories for another time.

Slow blink.

Hm. What's going on here? Creepy. Well, I hope the government isn't tracking this account.
Almost 700 big ones! Yessir! It's Miller Time. I'm almost out of cigarettes, too. Let's get this tractor back to the dealership.

COLLECT!

No sooner did I press the button I found myself free-falling toward the ground, the cab of the tractor fading into nothingness. Luckily, I land in the soil I just worked and was only slightly hurt. What the hell? This place is straight out of Twilight Zone. What in the world is going on?
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

This has got to be the best way to describe what FS19 contracts would be like IRL. I am definitely following this thread :lol: :biggrin2:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

👏🏻 Yeah this one is excellent
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

OT: I hope you guys don't mind the irreverence or non-politically correct delivery. It takes every ounce of strength in my soul not to say retard. :)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s fine my wife has refined me some but I work in construction so I hear much worse on a daily basis haha