A small growing farm

Share your creations with us!
Mwal

A small growing farm

Post by Mwal »

I decided I would give this a go on a map that really keeps my attention, Canfarm, and will undoubtedly continue to until the game is done. I won't be as regular as some or bring as much content but I will try to bring at least something a month. To start I will try to build you an idea of what's going on with some map shots and a small phot tour of the farm and the town. The top picture I lead off with is the starting farm with the fields in view being around 100 of 220 acres of tillable I'm starting with.
Above is a picture of the starting farm on the map, with everything being fertilized, fields showing blue in this shot are all mine, the 100 acres I spoke of with the exception of furthest right blue field. Its currently not owned by me.
This shows the other three fields I own making up the remaining 120 acres. Field 16, 13, and "19" as I call the self made hay field to the east of 13.
The next few pictures will be a tour of the farm and town.

Farm Grain Storage

The Farm Feedlot with the potato washer and sheds in the background

A pair of shots from the shed to give an idea of the equipment I will be starting with

The shop where the maintenance and repairs will happen

The CO-OP I will be getting my seed and fertilizer from

The Root Crop Factory

Lastly a nice overhead view of the town.

This is just kind of a set up of what's to come. There is more to the map and I will explain the logistics and locations of things in the future as they become relevant. I'm going for the farmer in the expansion period type of playthrough. Its my favorite time to play the game and it could very well be my last playthrough on my favorite farm sim map to date. Hopefully anyone reading enjoys!
Mwal

Re: A small growing farm

Post by Mwal »

Its early spring and things are just getting started for the year. Previously this farm has been a small hobby farm mostly just feeding out steers but lately I have been attempting to expand to a bigger operation. Early this year I bought a new challenger mt743 to add to my Mt685, old Massey, and my 8230. Getting into a bigger arable farm I also bought the 75 acre field "16". Recently I also bought a STX 530 and a 60 Ft. amity drill at an auction in the hopes to pick up a large chunk of land over winter for next season. If we cant make it work its going to be a tough pill to swallow as the only reason we bought the high hour stx was to have a machine that could pull the drill we definitely don't need for only 200 acres, so it will mostly sit throughout the year if we cant add something large land wise. Half my focus is root crops, specifically potatoes. Speaking of which today the seed potatoes were delivered and promptly planted while my brother drilled in some wheat and canola. Outside of that it was just some early morning tillage with myself in the case, and my brother in the 743. When one gets free labor he should always give them the good tractor. Next time I will be planting some sugar beets.

I'm off and rolling with some early morning tillage
Working ground getting ready to plant some potatoes
Working in some fertilizer before drilling in some canola
Setting up and planting spuds
The previously mentioned new to me stx quad and amity drill, drilling in wheat
Finishing canola up into the evening
Ready to plant some sugar beets!
El_Nino_NL

Post by El_Nino_NL »

Nice read! Looking forward to the adventures ahead.

Only thing I didn't understood was, "small growing farm". Sounds to me you already have quite a large farm ;-)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

El_Nino_NL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:34 pm Nice read! Looking forward to the adventures ahead.

Only thing I didn't understood was, "small growing farm". Sounds to me you already have quite a large farm ;-)
Thank you and thanks for reading, we’re equipment heavy but not on land, where I’m from 200 acres is a hobby farm, the end goal is to own the whole map which should put me in the 1500-2000 acres, average size where I’m from but plenty big for farm sim.
El_Nino_NL

Post by El_Nino_NL »

Mwal wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm
El_Nino_NL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:34 pm Nice read! Looking forward to the adventures ahead.

Thank you and thanks for reading, we’re equipment heavy but not on land, where I’m from 200 acres is a hobby farm, the end goal is to own the whole map which should put me in the 1500-2000 acres, average size where I’m from but plenty big for farm sim.
That explains.
I'm from The Netherlands, our whole country is probably around 2000 acres :lol:
No idea what the farm sizes are here. I live in the city.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Some time has passed in game since my last update and its finally time with enough taking place to do a little update. I left off about to start planting beets on the 4th day of spring. No issues planting beets, got about 25 acres planted with my 8 row Kinze in an afternoon.
Did a little weed control on a few fields, didn't really take any good shots besides this one of me filling the sprayer, my apologies
After that it was quiet for a few days then on the 8th of spring the weather looked good so I decided to get a little jump start on haying by mowing some ditches and small meadows around the farm before the seeded fields were ready for first cutting.
Unfortunately the next morning I was woke by a surprise thunderstorm that dumped a huge amount of rain
So I didn't do a whole lot besides finally finding a buyer for the stx, it’s a bit of a lemon and and it’s just getting to expensive to repair for a tractor that just pulls a drill. That was hauled out along with my old case after picking up a 95E at an auction. The 95E will do the job of both and it’s a tractor previously known to me so Im more confident in its condition. The J.I. case was sold reasonably to my brother so it might make an occasional appearance here and there when I’m short a tractor. I Also bought a new grain trailer.
Rented a trailer to haul her home.
The grain trailer
The rain finally stopped with enough of a window to dry so we can try to rake and bale. Unfortunately the hay looks like **** after all the rain.
Its garbage barely worth the fuel to rake and would have been left if I didn't desperately need hay before my beef cattle come on the 4th of summer.
Then as if it hasn't gone bad enough, another unexpected rain shower blows in and here we go again
Well after much cussing and a rushed finish I have 11 8000 liter big bales in the shed which is considerably less than the 25 originally expected.
the next day the rest of the hay is ready to go and the weather looks really promising, I have 2 and a half days of good drying weather so I get after it cutting, I'm hoping for 50 bales
By afternoon of the next day she's ready to go
Tough to find good help sometimes
We ended up getting 73 bales off the two fields. That's great I was hoping for 50 plus the 25 that got rained on and actually ended up with 84 when you add the 11 that will probably spontaneously combust. Next time we will be hauling bales, doing a little spraying, and the canola and wheat harvest so we can get our beans and silage corn in the ground.
Last edited by Mwal on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I'm back and head on into early summer small grain harvest! Before we get into that I have a few shots of bale pickup and hauling immediately following last time I updated.
The small grain harvest is here which consists of winter canola, winter wheat, and spring barley a bit after. First off is canola. Winter canola is in a rotation with double crop corn and sugar beets. The total harvested of canola was 500,000 liters
Refilling wrap while bailing canola straw, ended up with 299 8000 liter bales of canola straw
After Combining the canola it was time for wheat. The total harvested wheat was 80,500
Raking and bailing wheat straw
Now that the straw is off its time to work and plant the field
Last Is the barley harvest which along with the wheat will be planted into double crop beans. Our barley total was the least at 30,500
A good sign, corn is up
Total wheat and barley straw will be 172 8000 liter bales
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

I'm really loving the pictorial here and you've got some impressive yield numbers. I don't have any fields near the size of yours. How long do they take to harvest?
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:27 pm I'm really loving the pictorial here and you've got some impressive yield numbers. I don't have any fields near the size of yours. How long do they take to harvest?
I believe it was around twelve hours to do all the small grains which is about 3/4 of the farm. I will double check the hours on my combine though next time I play. Can farm is a 4x map so it gives me a big area to farm. A lot of my enjoyment comes from trying to run somewhat realistically and I’m fine with playing for four hours on a Sunday night with auto drive bringing me gravity boxes and just getting through one field or maybe only part of one.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Just found this thread, I really like the storyline you have going here! It took 20 minutes for my internet to load the pictures, and you had me hooked until the bottom of the page :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Thanks! I have crappy internet, you should see how long it takes to upload them haha
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Mwal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:43 pm Thanks! I have crappy internet, you should see how long it takes to upload them haha
That was at the back of my mind; I kept thinking "This man is dedicated" lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Spunky_Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:27 pm I'm really loving the pictorial here and you've got some impressive yield numbers. I don't have any fields near the size of yours. How long do they take to harvest?
11.5 hours was the total
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Mwal wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:18 am
11.5 hours was the total
11.5 hours seems a long time :shock:
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Kind of a longer update as I had some time to play and was able to make good progress. Right off the bat I had beans to plant and spent a bit of time planting and packing beans.
Bought 200 head of beef cattle which keeps me busy on slow days. They are limousines and I plan to sell them off in early spring.
Bought some tanks off an auction which will allow me to use my step deck as a tender trailer.
Beans came up, doing a little weed control
Pulling Potato Equipment out and getting it ready for harvest
Started in on second crop hay
The first field I wrapped as silage, I ended up with 25 8,000 liter bales
The rest of the fields will be baled as hay
Fall rolled in and potatoes are ready to harvest and silage is ready to chop almost immediately, as the hay dries I will start on spuds and silage
The Grand total on potatoes was 550,000 liters
Potatoes are finished now on to silage to chopping, got some free drivers (some with their own tractors) in the form a my brother, dad, uncle, and my daughter
The silage totals will be in my next update and all that I have left to share is that the potato washer is up and running and one bit of news.
Here's the potato washing setup
The news is that I purchased field 2. Its about 55 acers of tillable and 15 acres of meadow and slough
You can see my green marker and that's in a field just west of my farmyard, Field 2 is straight north a couple miles away and will serve as a good rotation field with 16 for winter canola corn and sugar beets. I borrowed 400,000 for the land and will have to pay the load off now once income starts coming in over winter. The field was seeded into sunflowers when I purchased it so in the next update one of the tasks will be harvesting the sunflowers off the field, hope you enjoy reading and see ya next time.