Actual tractor controls?

Share your creations with us!
Nitrozeus

Actual tractor controls?

Post by Nitrozeus »

Hi farmers.

Ive been looking at some controller setups for FS22.
Most people use a joystick for camera panning.
My question, in real tractors you use a joystick for tractor and some equipment control. Where the joystick forward and backward motion is used for tractor forward and backward motion. Can the game be setup where i do all the controls from the joystick and use steering for the directions?

Thanks in advance.
humbe

Re: Actual tractor controls?

Post by humbe »

Don't think I understood your question.. But if you've got enough buttons on your joystick you should be able to make it do anything you want with custom key bindings.. Take a backup of your keybindings config file afterwards though, as game patches resets it back to default.. Did at least last time for me with 1.2
Nitrozeus

Post by Nitrozeus »

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry if my post was unclear. Not sire if youve ever ridden in a big tractor (not insulting). But basically what you will have is.

Joystick forward-tractor moves forward.
Joystick back-tractor moves back.
And then some basic controls on the joystick buttons.

I want to build a setup where i only use my steering wheel and joystick to actually drive the tractor.

I hope this helps.
humbe

Post by humbe »

No.. I've never driven a big tractor.. Just old tractors.. With double-clutch and me ending up stopping it to shift gears ;D

I've had issues trying to find a good setup myself. I've got a wheel with paddles, simple forwards/backwards shifter, 6 buttons, 2 pedals, a side-panel with a joystick and a ton of buttons and two joysticks with a whole lot of buttons, so I've been trying to find me a good setup too.. Tried to ask for input on what type of controls would fit where in the real world, but it sounded like it was hard to map to real world, as tractors have so many things here and there to use, are different to each other, and additionally we'll need to map other stuff too, which makes no sense.. Like where to look with your head ;)

You can set break and accelerator to any analog input, so joystick forwards/backwards should be fine..
Nitrozeus

Post by Nitrozeus »

Well i think the best start for me would be to buy one brand tractor throughout and do a setup towards that. When i get a steering wheel/joystick setup i am going to try and map it to the real thing, tractor and combine. But the did simplify the cabin setup alot over the years. More buttons to push but it actually dumbs down the process vs the old era tractors.

Thanks for the reply though!
KrS14

Post by KrS14 »

I think the issue you're going to run into is that you're wanting a momentary control to increase/decrease speed (Like a Fendt would be like). That's not possible in FS currently. It's either you press and hold a button for 100% "acceleration" or you use an axis, like a throttle control that doesn't move back to a center detent.

I do the latter with a T.Flight HOTAS along with pedals as a "gas pedal" when I want to do that.

One way around this I guess would be to have cruise control turned on, and then set the forward/rearward movement of the joystick to increase and decrease the cruise speed, but it would be fiddly to get started with I think.
W1der

Post by W1der »

There is a mod available with this feature as an option ... "Vehicle Control Addon"
Check it out ... you should be able to set it up the way you want it to work.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
KrS14

Post by KrS14 »

The above will work for a non centering axis joystick. I used it in FS19 for along time as I preferred using cruise limits instead of "accelerator" limits.

If you want to have nudge throttle increments as I suspect you do, I don't think this will do that.

But I could be wrong, please let us know if it works out for you or not!
W1der

Post by W1der »

KrS14 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 pm The above will work for a non centering axis joystick. I used it in FS19 for along time as I preferred using cruise limits instead of "accelerator" limits.

If you want to have nudge throttle increments as I suspect you do, I don't think this will do that.

But I could be wrong, please let us know if it works out for you or not!
It has a setting for "keep speed" and an additional setting with this setting where you van use an axis to add / remove speed (basically using gas and break as cruise ctrl regulators but in a more controlled way than the crazy increments you get from using the normal add / remove) ... I think this is what you are referring if I understand you correctly?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
CptCray

Post by CptCray »

Hello. I also wrote a small script for myself to simulate driving with a joystick. It doesn't match your requirements 100% but maybe you have a use for it. I'm still tweaking on it sometimes but I've been playing with the script recently and I'm barely using my pedals since then.

The script uses the games cruise control. So if you move the joystick it will increase/decrease CC depending on how far you push the stick. For me it feels very natural.

https://github.com/JanCraymer/FS22_drivingStick
Nitrozeus

Post by Nitrozeus »

I will try and use joystick for forward/reverse and use ons of the buttons on the joystick to activate cruise control. So far ive been using my mmo mouse which has extra buttons. But i really need a steering wheel and joystick setup.
KrS14

Post by KrS14 »

W1der wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:33 am
It has a setting for "keep speed" and an additional setting with this setting where you van use an axis to add / remove speed (basically using gas and break as cruise ctrl regulators but in a more controlled way than the crazy increments you get from using the normal add / remove) ... I think this is what you are referring if I understand you correctly?
Perfect!!!!!
KrS14

Post by KrS14 »

I absolutely stand corrected.

Vehicle Control Addon is a wonderful thing!! Works quite well. Love the auto head turn as well ;)
W1der

Post by W1der »

I´m glad you got to discover it ... ;)