Ranching in Wyoming

Share your creations with us!
Mwal

Ranching in Wyoming

Post by Mwal »

I'm starting a new thread to document my Wyoming ranching playthrough. Hopefully this map brings me as much entertainment and hours as Canfarm did on Fs19, but so far so good. I'm starting out with a ranch I made, not a base premade farm and if you see any mods you're interested in I will do my best to help you track them down, feel free to ask. My playthrough starts out from me buying a ranch from the estate of a deceased family member whom had a very dated set up. I don't really have any rules as I feel rules make the game feel like work which makes me want to quit playing which is defeats the purpose. I will say I do enjoy to play pretty realistically on normal economy (if I'm making money to fast I will likely remove a bunch and switch to hard) and I'm not a fan of cheating money so I don't though from time to time will use mods to correct mistakes and errors. So that said I will start with a few pics of the map and my farms layout of it.

So this is Elk Mountain, you can see my farm just to the north of the three custom fields labeled cp-1, 2, and 3.

Here's another just showing what I own in blue, the two fields to the west are leased, I decided with the bizarre august start I wanted to get some crops right away for raising animals over winter. Rather than leasing I took the loss on buying and selling back the land as a less cheaty way to pay for my crops, I may use this method in the future as a way to lease land without using the leasing mod which isn't working properly for me and can be exploited if you don't have the land for a long time.

Next off I will share a few of of the farmyard, the custom field area (which is halfway through getting worked up) and the pasture across the road where I will be feeding out beef cattle.
The Ranch
The starting field area
The beef pasture

Well that's the basics of what's going on and going to be going on in this blog type thingy. I should have another update to in the next few days and sorry dairydeere, I know I said yesterday but I fell asleep on the couch last night and never got around to finishing this. Also a side note, some things might change or appear out of no where starting out as I'm still learning fs22 and occasionally mods get broken or things just don't work as I want or thought they did, you will see an example of this early on as I made a few changes to my grain storage. Hope you enjoy!
Mwal

Re: Ranching in Wyoming

Post by Mwal »

My first update is going to be the month of august. From here on out I'm going to try monthly updates once the month has concluded.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I bought a ranch in Wyoming from the estate of a dead uncle. I grew tired of living on the road out of a suitcase so I'm going to give settling down and ranching a try. I grew up farming but had only been out to this particular farm a few times while I was a child. The land went for a decent price and anything that's there is mine as well, which makes me think there's nothing there but sh** equipment haha.
Well, it's similar to what I remember, but pictures from the online auction were a touch misleading.
I'll get unloaded, fire up the dirt bike and check it out.
The house and garage
Inside of the house after I've settled in
Horse barn and I've located the rake and haybine
What use to be fields, looks like he really let things go to sh**
There's the barn and one of my kicker racks
Inside the barn, looks like there was a feeding cart inside
Last couple around the hay and machine shed. Looks like the planter is a total loss its completely shot but I know a guy with a 6 row 7000 that sits all cleaned up in the back of a shed as a backup that’s likely willing to sell. The baler and chopper seem to be decent along with the stock chopper and that old drill use to be my dad's when I was a kid, that will need upgrading.
On the back side its tillage equipment a sprayer and a row crop cultivator. Also, two chopper boxes that are really new and a really nice rock wagon.
Well, a semi showed up with the tractor I bought from my dad, and I still haven't found my combine maybe it's in the shop
Nope just a 1086 an old souped up 8n and on the back of it what I can only describe as a Russian mail order potato planter haha, or a tiny piece of junk whichever they sure make a cute pair though.
Well, it's time to go shopping, or pick up what I've been buying locally. I've bought a fertilizer spreader, a new puma tractor its small but it will fit its role for a long time, a new drill, two additional gravity boxes, a roller and manure spreader, and what will be the lifeblood of our operation a brand new bobcat that I also purchased a grapple, forks, bucket, rock bucket, and bale spear for.
What the hell, I found my combine behind the local bar, long story short he was a bit of a drunk who didn't always pay his tab or know when to stop when it came to black jack. Fortunately his debt was pretty small and that combine wasn't worth much to begin with so we worked out a deal.
Now that the fleet is almost complete its time to fire up the Case I bought from dad, hook up the offset disk, and start breaking land and re-establishing some old fields and picking rock.
After that I've worked out deals with a few landowners my uncle was leasing from to continue paying until the first of the year then to end the leases. First field up is a nice chunk of land that's divided into two fields, oats and alfalfa, I'm taking the oats off first. My Brother came down to help out for a bit through fall planting and harvest, so we'll have one helper available from time to time right now.
After a few hickups the combine is running as well as a 50 year old combine can, which is harvesting and planting next years crop all at once haha.
Another note is we plan to rotate more crops, so we put up a couple hopper bottom bins, the small ones by the horse barn were completely shot and nearly rusted through and were in desperate need of replacing fortunately someone was able to get them up by the end of august for me.
Now it's just bailing the straw I did purchase a piece of junk new holland round baler due to low funds and needing to reserve as much for cattle as I can, unfortunately I never took any shot of it in straw but I will have some in the next update when I'm bailing alfalfa.
Last night of August I'll be back in a bit with September's update, thanks for reading!
Latokulma

Post by Latokulma »

Nice story and pictures. I will read this in the future too!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Latokulma wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm Nice story and pictures. I will read this in the future too!
Thank you!
Pafarmer

Post by Pafarmer »

Very interesting! I’ll be following your journey!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Pafarmer wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 pm Very interesting! I’ll be following your journey!
Thanks!
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Glad I decided to check the Community Corner sub forum, I just about missed this! Love the starting place, the backdrop of the high plains is a great place for a cattle ranch. *thumbsup*
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Dairydeere wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:48 pm Glad I decided to check the Community Corner sub forum, I just about missed this! Love the starting place, the backdrop of the high plains is a great place for a cattle ranch. *thumbsup*
Thank you and I’m glad you found it. It truly is a beautiful map and the ability to remove many of the original buildings really fits my play style quite well. Expect to see a few mods you recognize as well, starting with that New Holland chopper in the shed, in the next update
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Septembers here! It starts out with baling alfalfa. We filled the dairy barn with small squares and the monoslope attached to the horse barn with round bales.
Immediately following haying, we got cracking on winter wheat, oats, and planting some alfalfa. The Co-Op came to put fertilizer down and to and we put down lime afterwards then started seeding
I had conned my brother into coming down and staying for a bit to help me get through fall haying, harvest, and planting. He decided it sounded like a nice break and between him and my dad we were able to be planting and chopping silage at the same time.
Until the tranny went to **** on the 1086, It's not worth fixing to me it was the tractor I was planning on replacing first anyway and with a laundry list of other things wrong I decide to take it in and get what I can for it.
10,000, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought. The reason I chose the dealer I did was they had this 7140 on the lot. It's a bit smaller than what I was originally planning to trade for, but it will work fine for now.
With the tractor switch around were stuck with just chopping until the new 7140 is ready for us.
It shows up for the last day and we use it to pull chopper boxes and it seems like a good tractor that should suit us well.
The remainder of September finishes out with our crops poking out of the ground and our alfalfa shooting up like I might get a cutting towards the end of October. Only other news besides that is we're going to have to borrow more money for our cattle now after spending 60,000 on a tractor but other than that September finishes quietly, see you in October.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Ooh.. Had missed this report.. Lotsa nice pictures ;).. Have fun..

Some questions if you have time ;)

How much of that small bale handling is manual? Looks like your baler shoots the bales into the trailer there.. Do they get automatically onto the lift to the loft in some way? Or are you manhandling them both at the bottom and on the top of the lift, and to move them when you need to use them? I tried small bales on Calmsden but all the manual handling got to me eventually.. But I never figured how to get my baler to dump the bales into a trailer either, so I had to run around to gather them..

And what's the small animal feed cart? Is it a TMR mixer fit for small bales only?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Well I guess whenever I get back onto FS the farm will have to look at adding to the fleet… I may or may not like old 86’s :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

humbe wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:01 am Ooh.. Had missed this report.. Lotsa nice pictures ;).. Have fun..

Some questions if you have time ;)

How much of that small bale handling is manual? Looks like your baler shoots the bales into the trailer there.. Do they get automatically onto the lift to the loft in some way? Or are you manhandling them both at the bottom and on the top of the lift, and to move them when you need to use them? I tried small bales on Calmsden but all the manual handling got to me eventually.. But I never figured how to get my baler to dump the bales into a trailer either, so I had to run around to gather them..

And what's the small animal feed cart? Is it a TMR mixer fit for small bales only?
It’s all manual, i put about half the load on the elevator then stack it then go back down send the other half up then stack and get another load baled. The baler is from rooster mods, same place the rotary hoe in your thread came from. It has a thrower to be used on a kicker rack which is what we did when I was growing up except we had a kicker baler. Rooster also has an autoload hay rack which should pick them up if you don’t use the thrower option on the deere baler. The feed cart is a tmr mixer. It fills with corn silage out of my stave silo which unloads into my barn, and a I throw in couple bales of hay from my hayloft. It’s just meant for small operators to be able to use a powered tmr mixer in a barn that isn’t made for a tractor. I believe that one’s from jmf modding
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

DEERE317 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:25 am Well I guess whenever I get back onto FS the farm will have to look at adding to the fleet… I may or may not like old 86’s :lol:
Haha. Something isn’t quite right with the shifting in that particular mod, it struggles with implements that much smaller tractors can pull easily so I wrote it off. Unfortunately I did it in game right before JCL released their 86 series which is flipping epic so there’s a chance an 86 might make it back into the lineup, it’s one in a handful of my favorite tractors
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:07 am
DEERE317 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:25 am Well I guess whenever I get back onto FS the farm will have to look at adding to the fleet… I may or may not like old 86’s :lol:
Haha. Something isn’t quite right with the shifting in that particular mod, it struggles with implements that much smaller tractors can pull easily so I wrote it off. Unfortunately I did it in game right before JCL released their 86 series which is flipping epic so there’s a chance an 86 might make it back into the lineup, it’s one in a handful of my favorite tractors
It helps I’m still playing FS19 cause I’m cheap so everything is a CVT :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.