A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Post by humbe »

October 1975

A far less hectic month. Our silly accountant think we went $15.536 in the red this month. But $15.000 of that was investment in greenhouse, and a water pipe extension so it's easier to get water to the greenhouse. (After hauling and hauling I figured I'd mount a hydrant next to the greenhouse so I can fill up the tank and empty it into the greenhouse without moving the tank. Silly amounts of water fitting into that thing)

The shop didn't warn me of the greenhouse needing $100 per month in property maintenance.. That's facts we need to learn from our accountant, and which we would have a hard time to figure out if we built multiple things. Monthly maintenance costs are way too hidden. Water costs are up to $26 a month. That's for water into cow and sheep pen, now for a full month. Not much of a worry, though it may increase with the numbers of animals.

Our asset report have a more somber estimation. $ +252 positive this month. We've gained a few products this month, getting us into the positive. It's the greenhouse products doing it. We haven't owned it a month yet, but the $100 monthly upkeep looks to be easy to cover. $630 in those three products alone, and that wasn't a full month either:

Code: Select all

Total products diff:
  Barley: -53.333374
  Diesel: -19.001511
  Hay: -890.370117
  Egg: +5.104167
  Fertilizer: -40.900513
  Lettuce: +183.380829
  Liquid Manure: +440.888870
  Seeds: -77.700012
  Strawberry: +733.523315
  Tomato: +366.761658
  Water: +98815.631348
  Wool: +31.250000
From more detailed measurements, we see that field 2 was 0.155400 hectares big, and that we used 77.700012 liters of seed to seed Barley, meaning we used 500.000077 liters of seed per hectares. So pretty sure the game states that you need 500 liter per hectares of field to seed barley. Stuff that is useful to know ;).

Some learnings from the numbers we're crunching:
  • A ~2 month old cow eats 76.3 l/month of hay and produce 55.1 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~2 month old sheep eats 18.67 l/month of hay and produce 2.083 l/month of wool.
  • A ~2 month old chicken/rooster eats 6.67 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~2 month old chicken produce 0.73 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
  • Seeding barley uses 500 l/hectares of seed.
Didn't expect 2 month old chicks to lay eggs. How can they lay eggs if they are not old enough to reproduce? It did happen though.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Don’t question the CIANTS

No I didn’t make a pun at all :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
humbe

Post by humbe »

We started October with a grass run.. Mowed our grass field, and figured we'd continue on on the other side of the small forest here.. Afterwards we took out the grass roller and rolled to fertilize for next grass harvest..

Goto old grass roller.. Though getting 3 for the farm with the tractors I started with was likely overkill. None of the tractors could pull 3 ;) Picture above shows the used sales add for one of them.

But analyzing the soil, we see that the grass roller only added fertilization to our plowed up grass field. Rolling elsewhere didn't matter..

With plenty of time left in October, we figured, we could use the time to plow up a new field in the meadow on the other side of the forest. That'll be a huge field.. More than an acre for sure..

The International has an impressive turning circle. It can turn on a dime. Tedious job to plow up such a big field with this plow, but we have the time.. If only I had a radio on this thing.. Not that it woulda helped much in this noise... The engine is loud...
humbe

Post by humbe »

The new field ended up as 2.94 acres as far as we can measure it.. More than the rest of our fields put together.. We plowed it up, and it got full of small stones. But we're planning to sow oilseed radish for a 2nd cheap fertilization step, so then we need to cultivate it before sowing our real crops, and that will bring up more stones.. Thus we lime and sow oilseed radish without bothering about the stones yet..

1.190875 hectares according to sowing and spraying statistics. We used 119.087509 liters of seed, meaning we used 100.000008 liters of seed per hectares. Pretty safe to say that the game counts 100 liters of seed per hectares for sowing oilseed radish. We used 4300 liters of lime, or 3610 liters/hectares, though we're overlapping a bit here.. We should do a test run without overlapping to measure what the optimal apply rate is. (probably specific to my fert wagon with it's operation speed and pattern of application.)

Meet the family. My wife Laurie, my son Bud and my youngest, Brenda..

And then there's me..

The Contractor Mod is in beta, and I decided to test it out. Hopefully stable enough for me to use it.. Adds immersion to me.. Now I tab between what family member I'm controlling instead of vehicles. Thus no teleport, but still able to be a bit here and there..

With the mod one should be able to ride-along in vehicles that can have passengers.. Sadly my Ford F100 isn't working with passenger yet. Maybe due to the Ford mod itself, or due to ContractorMod still in beta.. Hmm.. Think there was some instructions for FS19 as to how to modify a vehicle to add passenger support.. But not looking into that yet. Still possible for one of the characters to use the visit functionality on map, so rather than riding along to the shop if we buy a new vehicle, I'll just visit it and fetch the vehicle for now.

Now, when I use a hired helper, it'll be the family member I'm currently using in the vehicle that will just stay on as the helper, and I just tab to another character while another is automated. And then it makes a bit more sense that I've turned off helper wages. They're family invested in the farm themselves.. And forced kid labor ;D
humbe

Post by humbe »

We cut down two a bit larger trees to make room for the new field.. Supervising loading the trunks onto our logging trailer..

We needed a tool to for our front loader to lift it.. But we seem to be missing a pallet fork, which we will need more than a logging fork, so hoping that would work out too, we bought a pallet fork (One from JD 1630 mod) for $800.

Not ideal, and a bit tricky to get underneath the trunk, but it worked.

Ah.. So much more lively with characters in the picture.. I just love the Contractor mod ;D... Thanks Yumi for making it happen ;D Will test out passenger config for the Ford soonish.. Seems I can add some config to Contractor mod settings.

Also used the Measure mod to measure a log size of 6 meters.. Hoping that's a good size for the trunk to be useful to make planks so we can make some money of it.. Had to be careful as alt-right click triggers Lumberjack superstrength kick if I'm targeting something when I try to use the Measure mod ;)

And another unbranded, generic piece of equipment that should fit 1975 too..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Oh.. And another important piece of equipment..

Without the weight on the back of the tractor, we could not haul this big trunk in the air.. The weight looks pretty symmetrical, but it only seems to attach to the 3-point in one way.. So we messed a bit the wrong way before we got it attached..

Also, this is not an image in movement.. The log was actually staying on the fork at that angle. I guess this is annoying people into forestry, but for me, at least in this simple case things worked ok.. Granted, I could see there was 5-10 cm of space between the log and the pallet fork if I switched to the right angle to inspect, and it's sticking to the fork more than it should, but all in all, I can do some forestry without getting annoyed about it.. (And superstrength is useful to fix issues if something goes totally haywire. Used to use separate superstrength mod, but now that I've tested Lumberjack mode that is much better, as I don't have superstrength enabled normally.. Meaning if I misclick when trying to manhandle something I can manhandle, I don't throw a vehicle in the air or something as a mistake.. I have not so fond memories of a Calmsden incident where I was stacking small bales manually, and then misclicked and clicked the bale trailer and threw it in the air with all the bales going here and there ;)

What can this haul of logs be worth I wonder? Laurie drives it down to the south sawmill.. Woah.. $4.981 That's a lot.. (Way more than I expected on hard economy at least.. My first logs sold in FS22)

Anything else we should get done in October? Nothing springs to mind.. Though I guess we could always plant some trees or cut down some if we want to...
humbe

Post by humbe »

We decided to plant some trees here and there.. See if we could make a nice entrance to the farm surrounded by trees.. A couple by the sheep pen, and thickened the forest between our eastern fields a bit.. While we were all surprised as to how much money we made from the few trees we delivered to the sawmill, we decided we'd keep going on the farm and not focus on the forestry bits..

In FS19 there was a mod for hand planting saplings that I liked, that sadly isn't available in FS22 as far as I've found.. The Damcon PL-10 is the oldest piece of equipment for planting trees that I've found. Damcon was founded in 1969 but I suspect this machine is too new.. But haven't been able to dig up when it was first sold. Either way, it was possible to plant trees back in 1975 too, and without any confirmed older option available, I'll just use this one..

I pretty much ruined my hard start in No Mans Land in FS19 by forestry.. Trying to optimize income per game time, it is the obvious choice, as you can cut down all the trees on the map in one game year if you make long enough seasons. And the income pays for buying up all the plots and way more..

Not gonna do that this time.. Have to put down some rules.. So I'll try to:
  • Not cut down trees that exist in the map to begin with.. Just a few trees here and there if they are in the way of making a field or building something.
  • Can plant some trees ourselves to cut down later, but max cut down 50 trees a year.

humbe

Post by humbe »

Got the Ford configured for passengers ;D.. And made a little notice in the ContractorMod thread for others to follow if they want.. Now we can drive each other around if we need to pick up or sell a vehicle ;)

Our grass field looks a bit sad, especially after grass rolling..

The patches of hay I left, due to not bothering to pick up every little bit with the forage wagon are very visible.. Some kind of rake would be nice, so the forage wagon has an easier time to get at all the hay..

Considering buying this rotary rake we saw commercial for in this years May number..

Ich.. Hard to dig up information on release years and what existed when.. The pottinger mod above there, looks to still be sold today, or close to, and is probably too new for 1975, but the 1975 article shows an IH rake that looks pretty darn similar. I think I'm gonna play that the Pottinger rake is the IH version and allow it to be bought in the game.. Looks like one could basically rebrand the mod and maybe bend the fork bits inwards a bit, and you'd have a decent representation of the IH No.10 rake.

Edit: Later I found link to https://farmingsimulator22mods.com/1978 ... v1-0-fs22/ which is at least a 1978 rake to look forward to. I've also seen designs like this JD 660 rake, but not found as mod: Image that I at least see for sale in auctions as '75 models.
Last edited by humbe on Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humbe

Post by humbe »

November 1975

The year is going towards an end. November has hit.. Lets crunch some more numbers..

Our accountant says we're $1.002 up after selling wood, and this time he looks right.. Looking at our asset report we can dig up that:
  • A ~3 month old cow eats 86.9 l/month of hay and produce 59.1 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~3 month old sheep eats 26.8 l/month of hay and produce 3.33 l/month of wool.
  • A ~3 month old chicken/rooster eats 5.83 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~3 month old chicken produce 2.33 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
Strangely enough, the chickens ate less this month.. But other than that it seems the animal numbers are rising with animal age. We paid $32 in water costs this month, up from $26 last month, so water costs seems to rise with animal age too. Production costs in the greenhouse is up from $4 to $6 this month, but I see the greenhouse has produced more this month to. Is greenhouse production rising over time too, or is it season dependent or something? I also see property maintenance is up to 268 from 267, so there seems to be some factor that you're paying more for older buildings.

Strangely enough, the water/production costs don't match up with the statistics in the savegames. My asset report, reports that statistics show that water costs have been $21 and production costs $3.9.. But it's correct in property maintenance.

We got 84.000 liters of hay in our October grass harvest. Exactly 12 full forage wagon loads.. At which time we stopped bothering to pickup the remaining dots here and there..

Up $10.251 it calculates. Income from hay harvest, wood selling and greenhouse.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Noooooooooo !!!!

It seems due to us not rolling the small stones back into the field, cultivating now brings up medium sized stones.. And thus rolling no longer works, and we need to empty the field for stones using a stone picker.. Unless there's some other strange reason why I didn't get small stones cultivating as I did on the other fields that had no stones to begin with..

This'll be a darn annoying lesson, so no way are we not rolling small stones into the ground again before we find an easy way to get rid of larger stones..

Urk.. Covering the entire field with a front loader attachment.. This'll be hell..
humbe

Post by humbe »

At least our rock picking attachment worked better than expected.. Was scared we'd have work for this all winter through, but we'll manage in November at least..

It can fit 570 liters of rock.. (A bit disappointed shop then doesn't say 0.57 m3. I guess the salesman rounded upwards) Sadly our trailer reached it weight limit after adding 1000 liters of rock, so we'll have to empty it while it still looks empty..

Unbranded stone bucket. I have no idea what year it was made, but using front loaders to throw stones in is something that's been done here for ages at least.. Though with people walking besides the tractor, picking up and throwing the stones into the loader, or the farmer jumping out of the vehicle to pickup a stone when he sees it.. But doesn't scale well with the massive amount of stones turned up in FS22.

At least tech and year wise, looks a lot more 1975 than the stone pickers you can buy in base game.

Being mounted in the front, it is much easier to steer the tractor to pick up the stones, so one doesn't need to cover the entire field. Maybe covering half of it is enough. Only issue is that the point you need to hit to pick up the stones is sometimes at the left end side and sometimes at the right end side of the group of rocks shown, so some rocks you don't pick up even though you feel you drive over 90% of them.
humbe

Post by humbe »

December 1975

December is here.. Activity have been low in November. Just cultivating, stone picking and rolling the new field after the oilseed radish'es came.. Don't really think the final rolling did anything but mark the field as "seedbed".. Think it does nothing in game, but something some farmers do in real life, so there's a transition there for them to match if they want

The low activity can be seen in the accounting numbers too. Lets give a full report of what's in the accounting bits now that we've got data from august to now..

The harvest income is from our "stone harvest" ;D

So cash balance is negative last month, but what about our assets?

We're in plus, due to the greenhouse giving ~$990 worth of products this month, and the so called stone harvest. No pallet spawned in the green house yet though.. Wonder if it may be because I'm using a mod to create bigger pallets, so I don't get so many and approach max pallet count.

Continuing animal statistics:
  • A ~4 month old cow eats 118.4 l/month of hay and produce 77.5 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~4 month old sheep eats 41.3 l/month of hay and produce 6.25 l/month of wool.
  • A ~4 month old chicken/rooster eats 6.46 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~4 month old chicken produce 3.65 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
humbe

Post by humbe »

I guess I went a bit overboard with the greenhouse water.. It seems to consume around 1550 liters of water per month, which seems sane.. Issue just seems to be the insanely large water tank and the seemingly broken water tank fill level bar..

Deciding not to do any more forestry, but lazy around in the winter, we're just gonna pass time until March now that all fields are ready, unless we need to tend to the animals.. With few animals in the pen compared to the max sizes, the food will last a while so we think not..

January 1976

After an entire month of just idling outside, lets see if all the numbers match up.. Accounting says zero vehicle running costs, so I guess it is just repair costs and not hidden per month costs too. Water costs continue to rice. $58 this month.

As there's little data now, lets present the full report I have from my asset calculations:

The per placeable statistics I use to see how much food the various animals eat.. Given 8 cows, 15 sheep, 1 rooster and 7 hens still, we have
  • A ~5 month old cow eats 140.6 l/month of hay and produce 91.8 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~5 month old sheep eats 53.0 l/month of hay and produce 8.82 l/month of wool.
  • A ~5 month old chicken/rooster eats 6.46 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~5 month old chicken produce 6.27 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
February 1976

Nothing happened here either.. Will continue animal statistics, so I can try to calculate how much feed and produce I can expect for first full year with the animal..
  • A ~6 month old cow eats 147.1 l/month of hay and produce 89.6 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~6 month old sheep eats 58.3 l/month of hay and produce 9.72 l/month of wool.
  • A ~6 month old chicken/rooster eats 5.83 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~6 month old chicken produce 6.76 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)

Got some nice snow in February.. And boy have the trees we planted a couple of months ago grown.. Looks very nice.. Though the branches looks low to drive through. I guess I might need to trim them a bit..

Not snowing through the roof of the barn, but there's snow inside nevertheless.. Has it blown in through the open doors? Maybe I should try to keep them shut.. It hasn't blown into our garage or cow pen at least..

March 1976
  • A ~7 month old cow eats 161.2 l/month of hay and produce 99.0 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~7 month old sheep eats 56.3 l/month of hay and produce 11.25 l/month of wool.
  • A ~7 month old chicken/rooster eats 5.63 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same)
  • A ~7 month old chicken produce 7.83 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
We now also got 7 new chicks. Meaning we can no longer just divide the barley used among 8 to find food usage.. A bit tempting to sell the newborns just so we can keep statistics for longer.. But boring for the game.. As we have statistics for what they should eat at lower ages, maybe we can just compensate with what is known.. (Assuming it is static, not depending on time of year or what not. But with the depth of stuff elsewhere, I'm guessing it's just a constant amount based on animal age)
humbe

Post by humbe »

Brenda is testing out the potato sowing machine..

Also the go to old potato seeder. Czechoslovakian brand if I'm correct. Have no idea when it was made, but looks old enough at least.
humbe

Post by humbe »

After finishing seeding potatoes we seeded oats in field 5.. Then we sailed onto April..

April 1976
  • A ~8 month old cow eats 173.9 l/month of hay and produce 105.4 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~8 month old sheep eats 54.2 l/month of hay and produce 13.7 l/month of wool.
  • A ~8 month old chicken/rooster eats 7.75 l/month of barley. (Assuming roosters and chickens eat the same, trying to deduct what we think newborns eat)
  • A ~8 month old chicken produce 7.88 l/month of eggs. (Assuming roosters don't produce ;)
Winter is all done.. Grass is ready to be harvested, and it's time to sow corn on the big new field (field 6)

This'll take a while with the little planter on the big field..

Another generic unbranded piece of unknown origin. Looks old enough at least, possibly a bit too old.. But think (or hope) there might be something to dig up here that might be an upgrade before we get into modern times.