A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Post by humbe »

The American Elm must be the fastest growing trees of all time..

The elm's around my driveway here are half a year old.. It's April, and we planted them in October. They sure do look nice..

No wonder forestry is lucrative :/
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I believe John Deere rolled out there 7000 series planters in 75’ or 76’ and there’s one on the hub so that should fit your time frame
humbe

Post by humbe »

Mwal wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:27 am I believe John Deere rolled out there 7000 series planters in 75’ or 76’ and there’s one on the hub so that should fit your time frame
Thanks a bunch.. Will definitively look into that. Think I've located the mod.

To seed the big field of 1.190875 hectares we used 476.350037 liters of seed, so 400 liters/hectares for corn. We forgot to roll after seeding oats and potatoes :/.. Lets remember to roll after corn seeding..

But first.. We had a little project over the winter.. Brenda really wanted to get horses onto the farm, so we have tried to create a little horse pen..

We also lacked a trailer to fetch horses.. And the salesman didn't want to sell us two horses that we could walk/ride over to the farm either for some reason.. But Brenda finally managed to convince the salesman that our cattle trailer would work for the short trip in the outback.

Found no old looking horse trailer.. Considered trying to grab the base game one and remove some branding and muck it up, but to simplify I just hacked the lizard trailer mod here to allow horses too..

The budget for the operation was $8.000 and somehow all that money is gone, but looking at the pen I'm wondering where that money went.. Not in the fencing, not in the bathtub.. And you'd think that basic shack was a bit cheaper. Far less work than building our International tractor for instance. Well well.. If Bud and Brenda spent some of that money out on town I guess that is well deserved anyhow as our lives out here ain't exactly luxurious.

When pulling three rollers, the horsepowers from the International is awesome..

Hmm.. The texture here seems poor for a planter.. Seems they reused the texture for the regular grain seeder, but looking at the planter it should probably make rows more similar to what the potato seeder did..

With $8.000 lost on the horse pen and another $1.000 to buy two horses, our cash balance isn't great.. We need to sell something to get money for seeds and fertilizer for next season at least.. We've got some produce from the greenhouse we can sell at least.. Maybe we need to sell some of the harvest, and not keep it all for animal food. I guess it'll still be a while before we make decent money on egg, wool and milk..
humbe

Post by humbe »

May 1976

In April we have sown corn on the big field and had a hay harvest on the grass field. We ended up with 16.404 liters of hay from the harvest. Though I expect some of it was leftovers from autumn that wasn't picked up then..

A bit sad hay don't seem to rot await, so if we mow and don't pick it up it seems to stand there forever. So to avoid forest being permanently littered with hay since I drove through it with the mower, we've tried to clean up the patches that was left.

Some more animal statistics.. Approaching 12 months here now so we can add them together..
  • A ~8 month old cow eats 177.8 l/month of hay and produce 106.7 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~8 month old sheep eats 50.0 l/month of hay and produce 15.3 l/month of wool.
  • A ~1 month old horse eats 26.6 l/month of hay and drink 7.08 l/month of water.
Giving up on the chicken statistics.. We've now got 7 more, so a total of 21 chickens of 3 different age groups.

Nothing too exciting in neither accounting nor asset report.. Property maintenance bumped another $11.. Probably $10 for the horse pen and $1 in increased maintenance due to older buildings.. Water costs for pens seems to have stabilized on around $62-$64.. Though I expect a further bump once we get more sheep or cows..

So what's the plan going forward?

The thing is, we don't really know what earns good money? So we thought we'd just try a bunch of things and see how profitable various bits are.. We also want to try and use our own products to make more products higher up the chain, and see if we can improve profits that way.. So plans include:
  • Get a feel for milk income and how profitable that is compared to costs of having cows.
  • Get a feel for wool income and how profitable that is.
  • Get a feel for egg incomes.
  • Get a feel for income from horse training.
  • Get a feel for pig raising and selling income.
  • See how much money we can save fertilizing using manure or slurry.
  • See how much money we can earn on manure / slurry in a Biogas plant.
  • Maybe a grain mill to produce our own flour.
  • Maybe sugar mill, oil mill, or something else to make more stuff..
To start of now, we've been trying to produce animal food, and will see what we can make of animals.. Need to get some profits for that before we can move further..
humbe

Post by humbe »

June 1976

We just had fun in May.. In June harvesting seasons start, so we just relaxed for now, apart from taking care of the horses and take a few riding trips..
  • A ~9 month old cow eats 219.4 l/month of hay and produce 130.5 l/month of slurry.
  • A ~9 month old sheep eats 56.3 l/month of hay and produce 20.3 l/month of wool.
  • A ~2 month old horse eats 58.6 l/month of hay and drink 13.8 l/month of water.

June is here and it's finally time to startup the harvester and harvest some barley..

What a great harvester.. Turns easily, process quickly and got a sizable grain storage.. 2491 liters of barley and 11280 liters of straw.

Or 16.041 liters per hectares. We didn't mulch, but we did roll, so assuming that was a 97.5% bonus that's 8122 liters/hectares base yield.. But I'm expecting a bit more rounded number as the correct result. If the gain was actually 98% as listed, it is 8101.52, which is pretty close to 8100.. Or if the real value is 8100, the bonus was + 98.0371%.. Thus I guess the real barley base yield is 8100, and it's just the calculation that rounds of a bit so the result don't get close to as exact as the values stored in the savefile seems to indicate.

For the straw it was 72.636 liters/hectares, that makes 36.685 liters base yield if that also has the 98% bonus.

Once we found the JD harvester mod, it was pretty much a given for this '75 US scenario.. It was a huge download of 205 MB or so, but I had the space and it has been working beautifully so far. The Vistula looks really cool, but firstly it's eastern european.. Secondly, it was useless with the REA mods enabled.. And thirdly, Detourist just used it in his setup ;) The Fahr seemed like a better choice, but then again it's german so the JD seemed to fit like a glove.. It seems a bit too good though. If I got the biggest header, the JD T560 seems like a marginal upgrade, and that sounds a bit wrong.. Thus I'll be keeping to the smallest version I think.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Stuffing all the straw to the cows.. It hardly registers in the pen.. Seems like it can store tons of straw..

But I'm guessing it's just a huge possible straw storage in there, but still the conversion rate of straw to manure will likely take a bit of time to process what straw we put in there.. We've soon got oats to harvest too though, so more straw incoming..

Hmm.. A field harvested, and it would be fun to get to 100% yield gain to measure, but did mulching happen in 1975? Any old mulcher existing in game?

Could this IH 60 Crop Chopper be fairly old? Looks a bit old here at least: Image

Or what about the SALEK MUL-1000 that came in the game? It's tiny and needs little power at least.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Not sure when it was made but probably could fudge it to work as something similar was probably available by ‘75. (And most implement lines with the exception of planting, harvesting, and big ticket tillage can last decades without much of any change.)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
humbe

Post by humbe »

DEERE317 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:29 pm Not sure when it was made but probably could fudge it to work as something similar was probably available by ‘75. (And most implement lines with the exception of planting, harvesting, and big ticket tillage can last decades without much of any change.)
Decided to skip mulching for now.. Can't afford new equipment anyhow ;).. And the IH mod above requires too much power for my tractors, and fakes the working width to be bigger than the equipment which is already a wide mulcher compared to what else is available...

In July, canola and oats are ready for harvesting too. Got 1434 liters of canola of field 1 and 2740 liters of oats from field 5.

Field 1 is 0.1517 hectares so given 1434.180786 liters of canola that is 9454 liters/hectares. If we had 98% improvement there, base yield should be 4775 liters/hectares. Expected a bit rounder number, so not sure if that is correct.. But should hopefully be close at least.. (Crop destruction is on, so I might have destroyed something)

Field 5 is 0.304275 hectares, so given 2740.910156 liters of oats that is 9008 liters/hectares. Here field wasn't even fertilized though. Got a free fertilization layer from the grass mowing, but no grass where there was bushes.. So we'll do a better calculation next time around.. But looks to be somewhere around 4800 liters/hectares base yield.

We got 21.714,285156 liters of straw from field 5, which should correspond to around 37k liters/hectares base yield.. Will recheck when I have same bonus across the whole field..

First I thought it would be easy to drive correctly, with good view of the entire header in front, but with all the dust from the canola, it is hard to see anything ;) I guess the shade from the trees doesn't help things either..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Hmm.. Think I hit a bug.. Decided to stuff all the straw I could fit into the cow barn.. But once I had like 12k straw left, and filled up another 8150 liters in the barn, seeing it had 4k left, when I emptied the trailer in the cow pen, the pen went from 24k to 32k of straw.. All is fine.. But then the barn went back up to 12k straw left too.. And when I went to the barn and filled another 8150 liters of straw into the trailer, the cow shed was back to having 24k of straw!!

I don't understand what is happening there, but for now, it doesn't seem like my straw has disappeared though..

After harvesting, we decided to cultivate, roll and seed oilseed for a cheap fertilization step. We also had a grass harvest to do.. That grass field is starting to annoy me. It's small and curvy so we are turning all the time.. I'm getting carsick working it.. And then we rolled the grassfield after harvest too of course..

We also needed to feed the animals.. So it might be a bit tricky to see exactly how much hay has been eaten this month as we moved hay to pens at the same time as we got more hay.. I guess we should done one of them first, and saved the game, so I could diff before and after..

We had a little liquidity crisis.. Only money enough to pay for this months property maintenance and a bit more.. We need to sell something. We decided to sell all the greenhouse products we've created until now.. Prices are best in winter, but people want their strawberries fresh I bet..

The train yard seemed to pay a decent price for it.. $10.644 acquired for selling the goods. That should pay for running costs for quite a while, but we're quite a bit away from having money to invest into something new.. Looking at what grains we have gotten from harvest, it's something to feed the animals, but it's not much to talk about in income terms.. But the fields are small too.. I guess we should calculate a bit to see what the profit is per hectares or something..

I believed the number shown on top of seasonal fluctuations screen was the best price we've seen, but when looking at it, I see that it is the base price of the product in game that is shown.. Basically the average price over time. Looks like the train yard keeps having prices close to the average.. I might not have enough data points, but looks like that one fluctuates far less than the others here..

Oh.. And I love the free terraforming mod.. Where I notice I keep driving I'm altering the terrain from grass to dirt tracks and so on.. Trying to keep the environment looking like it should after my use.. I wouldn't bother much with that if I had to pay hard earned dollars to do it..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Hmm.. Got a little tired of doing monthly reports all the time, and I'm guessing it's not all too interesting for you guys either, so I'll let'em go until I find something a bit more interesting than daily numbers..

August has hit, and Laurie has the pleasure of testing out the potato harvesting machine.. Awesome.. What they don't make a machine for nowadays.. I thought people was picking potatoes by hand... (I have actually done that myself in the late 80s in Norway, though I don't know if a machine might have taken most of it up automatically first and we were just hired to get leftovers.. Sadly not an option in game.)

We had to pay $1.000 for some brand new narrow wheels, so the JD could drive between the rows. Don't want to destroy the potatoes before we can harvest them. Only tractor we have that we found narrows for, so there we go.. (With crop destruction on, that kills the yield drastically, driving over them in front)

What's more sad though, is that the potato harvester don't have storage for potatoes, so it just drops them on the ground. Don't know of a loading wagon kind of thing that can handle potatoes, so I think we'll have to scoop the potatoes up with a front loader afterwards.. That'll be some work..

I initially thought I was a bit screwed with no '75 or earlier haulm topper, but turns out this machine harvest the potatoes without cutting of the tops first.. Yay.. This looks the part.. Though it's Eastern European.. Lizard branded, but mod name says Agromet-Pionier Z609 and that is an actual brand.. Saw it listed used sale in RL as Inna Z609/2 in a 1975 model, so confirmed old enough at least..
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Anything branded international should be pre 1985 before they were bought out
humbe

Post by humbe »

I found a shovel mod, and a $10 shovel actually works to load potatoes.. Laurie had a go and almost loaded a 1000 liters into the trailer.. It helps that the shovel could fit an unrealistic 100 liters of potatoes in one go..

Still it gets tedious though, especially as it's hard to control the spade with the mouse.. So a front loader seems like a better option..

It'll still be quite a few 1000 liter bucket loads to fill though.. And the trailer only take 3500 liter to boot.. This'll take a while ;)

Wonder if there's any option to picking up the potatoes in a simpler way.. There's a long way up to a huge self-drive potato harvester, so would be nice with something in the middle so I could use the potato harvester I have, but simplify getting the potatoes off the ground somehow..

All in all, we ended up with 39547 liters of potatoes. We should have food on the dinner table for a while..

I think field 4 with potatoes was 0.1303 hectares.. So with a yield of 39547.621094 liters of potatoes that is 303.512 liters per hectares. Here also we had varying bonus due to grass fertilization step not covering it all, but base yield should then be around 150-160k. I guess we'll measure in more details later.
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

Very nice. Keep going.
I have a question, where you found the shovel mod?
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD
humbe

Post by humbe »

EUROFARMER22 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:36 am Very nice. Keep going.
I have a question, where you found the shovel mod?
I'm using this one: Polish Shovel (kingmods.net)

After a busy summer, we decided to go on a family vacation.. Get some inspiration from elsewhere.

Actually rented a rural house in Denmark, which is basically all farming country apart from a few trees put up to shield from the wind.. Got to see my first square baler in action just outside the window. The farmer had some sort of small, flat trailer behind his Krone baler, that fit 3 square bales next to each other sideways.. Somehow he managed to get bales thrown out of baler moved sideways, so he could drop 3 and 3, and then he came back to haul them out, he had a special front loader spike with 2 low and 2 high spikes, and he put the bales on top of each other and put 3 bales onto his flatbed trailer at the same time. Some bigger farming equipment to see down there than what I'm used to back home.

So what's up for the rest of August? We have to decide whether to plant any Canola this year, and if so do it.. That's all left for this month I think... Let's see if we can get the machinery started up again..
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

Thank you for the shovel link.
By the way, who made those nice LEGO creations?
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD