A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Post by humbe »

And we're plowing.. No issue at all running the plow on the Massey, and I'm guessing not on the JD either.. Though not using REA22 Wheels now as it seemed broken for the small tractors..

Or are we? Doesn't seem to count as field work in the statistics. Possibly linked to not seeing stone and field already being in plown state. Also found what looks like a bug with the small fuel tank I bought (from base game). When we buy diesel it pops up as green expense that says Misc, and it does subtract from our account, but it doesn't show up in Misc in the accounting bits.. So the accounting is no longer balanced. Coupled with other stuff, such as buying and selling the field next to us for some terraforming bits showing up in accounting and other stuff to account for, we have to mess around to make the accounting correct :/..

Courseplay didn't want to work on this field. It says blocked by object when turning even though there's nothing there.. And the built in helper didn't wanna either as the field is already plowed. Not that it's needed for these little fields, but nice to test things out..

Also, I notice our small plow has 3 moldboards, but driving across we don't create 3 tracks after them. I guess the texture used for plowed state is for a plow with larger space between the chisels. Seems like the game is plowing up 2 lanes, or 3 if I manage to drive right on top of one so the plow touches outside both sides of it.. But two is more manageable..
Last edited by humbe on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

They’re called moldboards rather than chisels. The texture is probably made for a 16-18” (width of cut) bottom and that plow is probably 12 or 14.

Yeah I may like moldboard plows :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
humbe

Post by humbe »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:51 pm They’re called moldboards rather than chisels. The texture is probably made for a 16-18” (width of cut) bottom and that plow is probably 12 or 14.

Yeah I may like moldboard plows :lol:
Thanks.. Fixed the name above.. I tried to search for the name and found chisel plows was a name and guessed ;D I dunno what to call them in my native tongue either ;D

As to the choice of plow.. I just figured it fit the strength of the small tractors, and looked like it was at least old enough. It's polish, but as I don't know plows, for me it doesn't show ;) And then.. It seems people making American mods are only happy if they are at least 100 feet wide, so gotta use some other stuff too.. ;D
humbe

Post by humbe »

After we were done plowing, we figured we should fertilize the fields a bit. As we have no manure or slurry, we'll use some solid fertilizer.. We got a big bag from the shop a few days ago. 1000 liters for $1920. Our seeder only holds 300 liters so lets hope the bag lasts a while..

What do we name our fields? (Would be really useful if one could put numbers on custom fields to be able to see them on the map.) Lets call the northern front field field 1 (to the left when facing the barn when driving into farm), and the field below it for field 2.

For field 1, we used 29 liters of fertilizer. For field 2 we used 33 liters.. Though I think we had slightly more overlap when driving there.. Trying to use little overlap to reduce waste.. Also trying to get to working speed ahead of turning it on, as otherwise we apply more than needed.. It was pretty hopeless with the plowing. With a working width of 1.1 meters one can't exactly use 1 meter overlap.. A bit easier to have overlap when spraying, but here we are actually saving a decent chunk of money by reducing the overlap. Missing a few spots here and there due to too little overlap would probably be preferable to too much overlap, but we are pedantic about covering the whole field ;)

This thing worked like a charm, and with 6 meter working width and 7 mph working speed it went as a breeze. Only annoying thing is that if I turn on the sprayer too fast driving in from the west, the tractor stops with a warning I can't apply to land I don't own.

Another Lizard branded piece of equipment with unknown origin where I haven't managed to find production year of. I know Amazone came with the Amazone ZL in 1958 with a fairly similar design but dual disc spreaders instead of the pipe in this one, so this one is probably fairly old too.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Fertilizing was quick.. Lets test out the seeder while we're at it..

The barn side door is useful to get a better angle at some of the gear stored here.. The seeder is all too wide to fit well between all the pillars though, so we need to find a better spot for it..

But wait.. We need seeds..

Jumping into the Ford as it's a lot quicker to drive to the shop.. Too fast actually.. Too tempting to drive way too fast around here.. Thankfully the shop was helpful loading some seed bags onto the back. (Superstrength in reality this time around.. Using it once in a while to fix screwups or sometimes like now to speed up things)

The Ford have belts to secure the load back there.. Nice..

This Amazone D1 seeder from 1949 still works well. Field one seems to be 0.37 acres, and we used 30 liters of seed to seed Canola in the field. Field two seems to be 0.39 acres, and we used 16 liters of seed to seed oilseed radish in that field.

Pretty happy with finding a seeder mod for specific historic gear I managed to dig up data on at least. The Amazone D8 in the game is too new.. The D7 actually came in 1972, but the D1 is the only pre-D8 model I found. Of course it's German, but didn't find something similar as a US product. At least it has had plenty of time to get moved to the states since 1949 ;) I have seen some historic JD seeders too, which I'll be taking a look at later. They seemed a bit too big to start of with. Not sure if they exist already or if they are coming. In either case sounds like a likely upgrade.

While Laurie finish up seeding field 2 (default helper works well for seeding there), we decided to roll field 1. It was a quick job with the cambridge rollers.

We got 3 rollers of the above type used. Only showing the for sales add for one of the three, but others probably were fairly comparably priced.
humbe

Post by humbe »

DEERE317 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:42 am Very interesting world building/back story!
EUROFARMER22 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:35 am Hey mate, good luck with your new adventure *thumbsup*
I'll be watching your progress.
Thanks guys.. Got too busy playing and forgot to respond.. But I do really appreciate the feedback :D

The two front fields are now pretty much sorted for now. We're testing our various bits, so the oilseed radish field will have to wait for it to grow up.. The canola field we need to fertilize another level, but it should probably wait a month, as we already applied one layer (Technically, I think it works to put on the other layer immediately as we seeded afterwards but no rush anyhow).

Bud (my son) tells me he feels underused.. He's been doing some chores, but with me and Laurie hogging the iron, he can't help with the field work and as he so correct remarks, the backyard is bigger than the front yard, and it's already late August.

I tell him, that if he finds a fairly cheap tractor in decent condition, he can buy it. At maximum $3.000. He went out to search, and boy were we surprised when he came back.. Granted he went a little bit above budget, but he got this powerhouse of a tractor..

A 1965 Internation Harvest 1206.. With a massive 120 hp. Feels strange sitting so high up though ;) I get to test it mowing some grass in the background.. Bud's happy he can join the train pulling the forage wagon in the Massey..

If you look in the picture above you see there's a tree or two on the actual field over there.. I guess next thing to buy is a chainsaw ;D..
humbe

Post by humbe »

We got this old chainsaw from the shop so we could clear out the two trees that were on the fields here, and a third that was really close..

$500 the seller wanted for this thing. Installed the lumberjack mod so we could get rid of the stumps without having some new fancy machinery. Might be hard with just the chainsaw, but we have handtools in the barn we can use for small stumps.

We've completed mowing the backyard.. Not every inch, but the majority.. We thus have quite a bit of hay stored away now. The fields back here are ready to be prepared for next sowing, and we have enough hay to feed sheep, so maybe we should get some.. But now to a good nights sleep after a hard day of work...
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

He found a heck of a deal on that 1206!
https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tracto ... -1206.html
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s been interesting so far. You might wanna check this guy out, he has a drill and a few other things that should fit your time period or will coming up shortly just scroll the page most the releases are around Christmas
https://m.facebook.com/100063478902609/
humbe

Post by humbe »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:57 pm He found a heck of a deal on that 1206!
https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tracto ... -1206.html
Ah.. Tractor data has original prices too.. I've just used it to look up when they were sold, and verify that mod had correct hp.. The mod I used lists the starting price at $7.300 for some reason. And that should be inflation adjusted in game too.. But a lot of work to try and correct prices of everything in the game, so let's just say I got a good deal.. It is 10 years old ;D

If only mods could have both release year and correct price in the mod, some other mod could do inflation calculations and make sure only what should be available, is available in the shop...

Mwal wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:05 am It’s been interesting so far. You might wanna check this guy out, he has a drill and a few other things that should fit your time period or will coming up shortly just scroll the page most the releases are around Christmas

https://m.facebook.com/100063478902609/
Thanks for the links.. I scrolled down and found the hay tedder I wanted to get working, but alas that was FS19. The FS22 version I found elsewhere didn't work for me. Probably a simplistic conversion attempt.

The plow in there looks like a winner ;).. Looks like there may be mower upgrades there too.. Or at least alternatives. And a nice looking drill too.. And link to other modders.. I'll check it out.. Thanks for the link..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Fetching the first two Holstein calves to the farm.. Nice to be able to watch them in the mirror to ensure they stay calm during the trip.. Probably going to buy a few more. Getting milk this year would be nice, but much higher investment to get adult cows, so think we'll start of with calves only.

The mirrors on the JD 1630 glitch now and then showing something totally different.. Usually work though..

And we're hauling some sheep to the farm too while we're at it.. The animal trailer isn't big, but it works at least.. But I must admit, the capacity on the trailer is a contributing factor to buying few animals, and letting them breed on the farm to fill up the pens ;D

Just a small, simple unbranded animal trailer. I found no animal trailer that could take horses that didn't look brand new though..

We ended up with 8 cows and 15 sheep.. All youngsters, so to begin with they will not produce anything for us..

At these numbers we can actually count them all in the pen. A bit annoyed in my last game where I'm supposed to have 200 sheep, but I could only count like 15-20 or something.. Also heard there was a map not on the modhub, Hof Bergmann, which have made animal changes so you see calves as smaller animals.. That would be awesome to get in as a mod for any map. Would be really cool to visually see when births have happened by seeing the youngsters in the pen.

The chicken pen sure looks empty.. But we are not able to produce our own chicken food before next year.. The shop tries to peddle chicken food for $1.500 for 1000 liters.. Insane prices.. But chicken food is just grains isn't it? I can buy barley from the farmers market for $783 per 1000 liters.. Still twice as much as I'm likely to be able to sell barley for, but a lot closer.. We decided to buy 1000 liters, a rooster and 7 chicks to get going, so we'll get some eggs next year at least.

We used a fill limit mod to be able to shop exactly 1000 liters. Useful little mod. We also found this chicken transport cage mod, which allows us to buy chickens at the animal shop rather than just teleport them into the pen. Nice.

The Ford generally looks nice, but a bit sad the inside mirror shows nothing at all, and the reflecting surface that I guess is the glove compartment, shows what seems to be a darkened image of the road or something, as it scrolls past at speed. There's no other view directions possible either. I can't peek left/right (VCA setting) as I can in other vehicles, and if I change to reverse (VCA setting), I don't see backwards.. So pretty much forced an external camera view when driving it in close quarters..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Moving on to the 3 fields in the backyard.. The guitar shaped field in the middle, we'll call field 3.. I think we'll use that as a grass field, but prepare it well this first time. We plow it up, apply 751 liters of lime to it and used 60 liters of seed to sow grass. It seems to be 0.50 acres large.

Our smallest field, next to the cow shed, looks to be around 0.32 acres. We'll call it field 4. We used 457 lime on that one.. We planted oilseed radish on it, using 13 liters of seed.

Our biggest field, on the east edge of the farm, we'll call field 5. It looks to be 0.75 acres, and we used 1024 liters of lime on it. Not a fitting time to seed what we want yet, so we seeded oilseed radish on this one too.. 30 liters of seed used.

Lastly, we're rolling over the fields, and we should be done with fieldwork for August I think.. Or I guess we should take a fertilizer pass over the grass field first.. Said and done.. 45 liters of solid fertilizer applied.

With Bud's help, the work went well.. Three fields with oilseed radish which should prove for a cheap fertilizer, and we can consider what to sow. I'm guessing we'll sow barley on one of them as chicken food. The other two will likely wait until spring. Considering testing out potatoes and oat.. With oat, maybe we can get some horses, and potatoes will make us close to self-sufficient food wise.. And if might want bacon in the future, and some potatoes to feed pigs would be good ;)
humbe

Post by humbe »

After a lot of work in August, the farm is brushed up.. Fields are prepared, pens have animals, and the farm is looking alive again.. Good work everyone.. Something else than the initial overgrown state.

September, 1975

As September hits, lets start with looking at the current state of the farm.. Let's start with what we got from our accountant:

(Accounting from in game from two screen shots put together. Minus some 0$ posts in the middle. Shoulda been some functionality to remove the zero posts so one hopefully could see all in one screen)

Not much of a job by the accountant.. Firstly, the report lacks any kind of asset reporting.. It just adds money in and out during the month.. Secondly, it shows a lot of uninteresting values, while hiding interesting values together.. For instance, the Misc post shows the 450.000 we got from the gold we found, but deducts cost for the 5.000 liters of diesel we bought to fill the tank. (Which we payed an overprice for.. We bought it for $1.375/l but pump price at shop shows $1.25/l.. I guess the rest is fee to get it here) The lime cost is hidden in Misc and possibly some more.

The $391 for vehicle maintenance at least contains our manual repairs we have done.. However, the figure runs a bit high.. (I suspect there's some price / time baked in here too). We will see next month whether this value seems to hide something else.

Only the property cost and the water cost we know will come every month, so we don't seem to lose much per month..

But lets look at something more interesting.. The asset report we created ourselves:

Now.. Where does these numbers come from? (The savegame data of course;)

The bank deposit is obvious.. Just in more detail..

Our buildings are valued at $120.550 which seems low as we bought buildings for $228.625. Checking with the officials, the reason is funny.. For some reason, the 3 watchtowers and 5 electricity huts in the vicinity is actually listed to belong to us.. And the towers are valued at $-15.000 each and the huts at $-14.000 each.. So removing those from the equation the building value is $235.550. But that is high.. Looking further at the list, there's 2 fence singletons and 3 light residential buildings also assigned to us worth $7.100.. Deducting that, we're at $228.450.. The difference of $175 was probably to prepare the surface the buildings are built on to be flat and perfect, and thus one time expenses that doesn't increase the value of the building. (farmId="1" set on some stuff in the map that should likely be set to farmId="0")

The accounting report doesn't split between vehicles and equipment. Further split than that could be useful too.. But in our asset report, we total $98.706 for vehicles and equipment, while accounting states $92.131. The Ford F100 is also in the asset report, worth $4486, leaving a diff of $2.089. We believe is a bug in the asset report (My asset report calculates worth as the initial price plus the price of the additional configuration bits that cost money, but then buying used gear, it seems the initial price (which is the rebated price) might also include the cost of some configuration one otherwise would need to buy, and then my report adds that cost a second time to calculate total cost)

I see we have a bug in the asset report.. The fertilizer and seed bags are listed to be worth content as if full, so that's 3.720 too much. It's also counting our Ford F100, valued at $4486. That makes a diff of $2089 I can't make heads or tails of.

The more interesting bits is the products.
  • Of the 1000 liter barley we bought for the chicken, they have eaten almost 22 liters.
  • The total amount we have of hay (Drygrass_windrow) hides what have been eaten in the total, but we know we filled the sheep pen once with 8150 liters, and the cow pen twice with the same amount. The sheep pen now has 8109.375 liters of hay, and the cow pen has 16126.666992 liters of hay. Not that interesting numbers now that we've only had the animals for a little time, but will be useful to track how much they eat monthly.
Hopefully we'll be able to use the asset report to track interesting bits month for month and hopefully be able to get a decent picture of where we make the most money.
humbe

Post by humbe »

There is nothing like early morning dew.. We get up at 06:00 to start cultivating the fields.. There's no time better than now ;) (Especially in one-day seasons ;) Using 1 day season as there's no weather issues to make hay in FS22, and to be able to fast forward through the winter a bit faster. We'll allow ourselves to use any time speed we want to counter for the single day.)

Testing our cultivator for the first time.. It works well enough. These fields must have been very well picked for stones before, because we find no stones while cultivating field 2.. But then we find them cultivating field 5 ;D.. I guess field 2 might still be of as we went back and forth painting there.. Guessing field 1 and 2 will get stones too, but might need another field transitions first.

For the cultivator, it's another unbranded thing that I'm guessing uses tech that was in use in 1975.. Fits the small tractor strength and seems like a basic thing.. Following Mwal's link to Scooter's mod, I found link to other US mod makers too.. Might be able to dig up a US cultivator upgrade from there at some point :)

As we now get stone, but they are small, we're going to continue to roll the stones down into the ground afterwards..
humbe

Post by humbe »

After finishing cultivating all the fields with oilseed radish, I grabbed the International and figured I'd do a quick roll to get the small stones down into the field again.. But it's so dark in the morning.. Lets turn up the lights.. Where's the light switch? Does it have any lights? Any lights at all? No!! Haha.. I guess I better reserve this machine for daytime use. Watching where the stones were and where I had already rolled was hellish in the morning light..

Laurie takes up seeding barley in field 2 in the morning, after I finished cultivated and went in for breakfast.. It sure looks nice in the morning..

But after rolling again after seeding, we have done all we need on our fields for September.. Our grass field will get another harvest in October I think, but the rest of the fields don't need anything done before spring I believe.. Planning to seed potatoes and oats on the two remaining fields.

Seeing from last months accounting, we don't have a lot of running costs, nor do we have any income at all, apart from the gold I found last month. But seeing that we have the money, we figured we'd get a greenhouse. That will improve our daily grub and can probably make us a small but steady income. So we bought a greenhouse, which was shipped here in modules, and some guys put it up in no time.

As our sheep and cow sheds are connected to water pipes, we haven't gotten to use our water trailer yet, but here goes.. It's a massive trailer able to haul a ton of water (1000 liter) at a time.. I'm guessing one haul to the greenhouse should fill it nicely.. Hmm.. But no.. Can you venture a guess as to how many trips we need to take to fill the greenhouse water supply?

The goto water trailer that looks old.. Too old though. I bet something similar to the Joskin Aquatrans 7300 S still existed in 1975.. But that just leaves us with a possible upgrade ;).. I think there's mods with trailers like the Joskin just without the branding too..

My first time testing greenhouses, but how much water can fit in that thing? We did 100 hauls.. 100!! And still the water gauge doesn't seem to have moved at all.

Is that gauge broken? Or am I expected to fill 10 million liters of water into that greenhouse? If I don't miscalculate 8 million liters of water is a 20x20x20 meter container. Did the guys mount a totally massive watertank underground here?.. I'm baffled..

Hmm.. So what's next? A grass harvest in October. More sowing in March.. But other than that?

I guess we should consider whether to check out the rest of our land plot.. Should we try to plow up another field? Or maybe plant some trees? Or cut down a few? Let's think it over... I originally planned to leave that for later years, focusing on getting the farm up and running to begin with.. But seems like we have spare time over the winter at least..