Seasons Mod Thread #2

BigC92

Re: Seasons Mod Thread #2

Post by BigC92 »

Yep, we did the same thing on family farm.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Weasle wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 am Thank you so much. I cant believe i missed that.

So that means harvest at last harvest stage, eg orange, or when wopster says 100. Thanks.
for crop you can harvest it on the yellow stage, the later you leave the closer it becomes to wither, grass is normally harvest when its orange
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

I've got another question about maintenance costs.

The costs for maintaining my combines is always a lot more than for maintaining the tractors. Assuming I leave maintenance until it is actually due (i.e. immediately concluding one year, as soon as the "Maintenance Required" flag comes on), the tractors consistently cost a few hundred dollars and the combines consistently cost a few thousand dollars in maintenance.

Is this intentional?

In my case the tractors and combines are worth approximately the same in resale value, and the combines actually get far fewer annual hours on them than the tractors. I've tried several different tractors and combines on several maps, doing preemptive maintenance and leaving it way past due, and the result is fairly consistently this way.

I'm not bothered about it but I'm curious if it is supposed to work like this.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

^^I think that would be true IRL as well. Lots of things going on in a combine that needs constant attention.^^

I have never noticed honestly. I just repair when they get hard to start.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

DirectCedar wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:00 pm I've got another question about maintenance costs.

The costs for maintaining my combines is always a lot more than for maintaining the tractors. Assuming I leave maintenance until it is actually due (i.e. immediately concluding one year, as soon as the "Maintenance Required" flag comes on), the tractors consistently cost a few hundred dollars and the combines consistently cost a few thousand dollars in maintenance.

Is this intentional?

In my case the tractors and combines are worth approximately the same in resale value, and the combines actually get far fewer annual hours on them than the tractors. I've tried several different tractors and combines on several maps, doing preemptive maintenance and leaving it way past due, and the result is fairly consistently this way.

I'm not bothered about it but I'm curious if it is supposed to work like this.
Yes this is intentional. Maintenance for combines costs more than for tractors. Remember also that it always costs less to do maintenance before it is due than after.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Thanks for verifying that reallogger. I can get behind that logic.

Hey another question for you in this same vein...

Does maintenance cost go up with age or total hours on a machine? i.e. is the regular annual maintenance on a tractor with 100 game hours on it, more than for the same tractor when it is brand new?

I haven't tracked this scientifically but anecdotally it does not appear to.

I ask because the maintenance/resale/old vs. new aspect of the game has always bugged me. Your maintenance system in Seasons is excellent and starts to address this. The original very-slowly-increasing daily upkeep in the vanilla game tried to sort of address this but didn't really. The "problem", in terms of realism, is that equipment never wears out or has any real consequence to getting older. There is never really a reason to replace a machine apart from wanting a bigger one. A tractor with 100 game hours (which would be 5000-15000 equivalent real-life engine hours depending how your seasons or game speed are set) runs and costs pretty much just like it did with 0 hours.

In reality you very definitely can run equipment for 5000-15000+ hours, but the cost of doing so keeps rising steadily as you hit the long maintenance intervals and big components start wearing out. Plus the likelihood of big breakdowns or catastrophic failures keeps rising the older equipment gets. The tradeoff of course to this is that older equipment has a lower capital cost and much lower depreciation than new.

It seems to me that your Seasons maintenance system could really put some teeth to this idea if you wanted to go that way. You already have the very fun breakdown system where it quits in the field when maintenance is overdue and will *hopefully* start again with a few tries :biggrin2: Imagine if engine hours corresponded to an increasing likelihood of serious breakdown, where the old girl just wouldn't start again and you had to hitch on with the tow bar and haul her in to the shop for a $5k or $10k repair plus a 2-day delay before the maintenance status reset? That would be cool, and make you think about the tradeoffs of running old vs new. If the tractor had less than xx hours (say 20) there could still be a small chance of huge breakdown but the actual cost would be covered by warranty and you would only be out the time and hassle of hauling it to the shop. And maybe for warranty the shop gives you another similar loaner tractor to run while yours is being "repaired" (waiting in time-out really :lol: )

Your system could also accommodate a used-equipment-from-the-shop option that people occasionally muse about. You could buy the same tractor with the same options "used" for half the price with 50 hours on it but it would be out of warranty and have higher regular maintenance plus a higher chance of big breakdowns.

It sounds like aspects of this idea are probably coming in 19 so I guess we'll see how that shakes out.

Anyway just thinking out loud. Thanks again for the awesome work by Team Realismus. I really admire you guys.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Thanks for very kind words.

Maintenance cost per operating hour increases with total number of operating hours. Maybe it is not very noticable, but the mehanics is there. :) Every type of machinery has it's own custom maintenance cost curve and the system implemented in Seasons is based on RL agricultural machinery maintenance data. You can read more about this in a blog post I wrote some time ago:
https://www.realismusmodding.com/blog/2 ... epair.html

When it comes to other effects than costs there is a lot that can be done, but not in Seasons. Although we have had a lot of discussions and ideas along the lines you describe.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Thefisherj wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am
Weasle wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 am Thank you so much. I cant believe i missed that.

So that means harvest at last harvest stage, eg orange, or when wopster says 100. Thanks.
for crop you can harvest it on the yellow stage, the later you leave the closer it becomes to wither, grass is normally harvest when its orange
See this goes exactly opposite of what Reallogger just said.

So which is it? Can you harvest on yellow on seasons? I got 4 blobs of yellow *(first harvest stage), on the map, but it is not 100 percent full growth per wopster. So do you get more waiting it to get to the last harvest stage? Can you harvest on yellow?

The mod creator says its final growth stage, but people saying yellow.

Can I get a clear answer?

Thanks,
TallPaul003

Post by TallPaul003 »

You can harvest on yellow, but you'll get a better yield at the final stage from what I've found. Best way is to try it, check the crop growth % with your wopstr
FS17 on XBone
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Grain crops are only harvestable at the very last growth stage in seasons. In vanilla they are harvestable at 5,6 and 7. Seasons = only 7.

This means they are displayed with darkest orange colour in the overview screen and the Wopstr tells you 100% growth. In other words there is only one harvestable stage.

Seasons does not in any way affect yield.
TallPaul003

Post by TallPaul003 »

I stand corrected! Sorry, I got mixed up with my maps
FS17 on XBone
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Its not. I have Barley and Canola showing 68 to 70 percent growth, but it is in the Yellow stage.

I fast forwarded to 120x, and it gets to 100 at darkest orange.

So from what the modder is telling me is accurate.

Remember this is grain crops I am talking about. Not sugar beets, not grass, not potatoes.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

:!:
Last edited by Weasle on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Deleted. Because my question will never get answered anyway. I will just harvest whenever.
Last edited by Weasle on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

I do not use many mods. DLC and default seasons. This is on Lone Oak, so unsure why it is happening. But it is. The bulk of my space is used on maps. I do not use many mods.

I'm just going to do a test maybe. Try to harvest on yellow. Then wait for it to get 100 percent and at Orange to see if my yields change.

Its annoying because everyone is giving me conflicting information.

"- Crops are only harvestable in the final growth state, except for poplar, oilseedradish, sugarbeet and potato."

Everyone else "I harvest in yellow"

Well my yellow = height of crop is not fully grown, unless the above.

Wait a second, see this says harvest in yellow so goes against what it is even saying above.

"- Once a non-root crop reaches the first harvestable stage according to the growth overview in the esc menu, it is ready to harvest. This is the final harvestable stage."

The first harvest-able stage is yellow.

But how is it the final harvest-able stage when it continues to grow to 100 percent at Dark orange, the last stage before withering and you can harvest at orange also.

"## Mod conflicts
Do not load multiple map mods. Only load the map you are using!"

I do not believe this is a thing on console. It only loads the map the save is on. Say lone oak, does not try to load, West coast etc. Or is this saying I cannot have other maps even downloaded.
Last edited by Weasle on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.