Supported Resolutions ? ? ?

Guil

Re: Supported Resolutions ? ? ?

Post by Guil »

HC1Gunner wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:33 pm
Guil wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 pm Did you not bother to read the reply from bassaddict or you just chose to ignore it?
That has nothing to do with the "supersampling mode" from Sony that he is running with his PS4 Pro. And the last I knew the PS4 did not run a Windows OS, and bassaddict's reply has nothing to do with RODHA's reply.
My reply was in reference to you saying giants didn't bother to reply to you, you got an answer so I'm not sure what else you want.
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

RODHA, what do you mean with 4k with more detail settings? The settings are the same as with the normal 1080p settings, except for the higher resolution (which means a sharper image with less aliasing).
For performance reasons, we either support a higher resolution or higher quality settings (like larger draw distances). Or you just choose the regular quality with low resolution to get a more stable framerate, especially with more demanding savegames.

Supersampling and downsampling are basically the same. The two terminologies just come from the way how you look at the solution:
Supersampling: For each shown pixel on the TV, we calculate multiple pixels and then merge it into 1 pixel.
Downsampling: We render at a high resolution and then scale it down to the TV resolution.
But in the end its both the same, we calculate more pixels than what the TV can show. Although you might think this is useless, it actually can improve the image quality quite a lot. It won't be as sharp as the with a 4k TV, but it can be much better than the regular 1080p image. This is because we can capture much more small-scale details with the internal 4k resolution than with the 1080p resolution, which can be preserved to a certain degree when scaled to 1080p. Also it helps a lot to reduce aliasing artifacts.

For PC, as already pointed out by Bassaddict, we support any resolution that the GPU/OS reports to be supporting that is larger than 640x480 and has aspect ratio bigger than 1 (ie. no portrait). This includes support for extreme aspect ratios like 21:9 with 3440 x 1440. If you manually edit the xml file, you can use any resolution you like in windowed mode. This has been like this since 2008. We only improved the menu/hud rendering for these aspect ratios over the years.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Call it ar** kissing but I love when giants post in threads like this explaining things in very simple terms.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

First of all thank you very much for the response and explanation :hi:

I agree with Guil on the fact that your explanations on different topics and issues shed light over a lot of wrong assumptions.

In all the videos and articles I came across, it is being referred as "higher graphic settings" or something similar to that. As I wrote in my posts, the process is explained as the image is being processed in a higher resolution (1440P or 2160P) with higher detail than downscaled to 1080P. However, none of those documentations/videos except one was referring to Farming Simulator specifically. They were general information explaining how PS4 Pro handles the issue and how its extra GPU power is utilized by developers.

That one particular video was a review on FS17 performance on PS4 Pro. And it was explaining the similar things. However, that video also mentioned that you were really quick on responding the integration of supersampling feature and updated the game well before almost every other major title and this gave me the clue that you are on top of it and making necessary adjustments which also gave me the hope that may be we can get better graphics without using the supersampling. Which I thought might be possible if you can add additional graphic settings for PS4 Pro.

However, after reading your post, I understand that what is referred as "higher graphic settings" is actually the better graphics you achieve with higher resolution.

And I also understand that you want to keep your method instead of giving the control to the player because making wrong adjustmenst on additional graphic settings can cause problems on the hardware which Sony and Microsoft don't want to deal with.

Of course if I have not completely misunderstood what you meant :confusednew:
PS5 / FS22
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Lol, same here Guil, but your saying that since i play on PS4, 1080p, you can make it better? Am i reading it right? Im not to technical with TV's.
Jade Finch

Post by Jade Finch »

Stegei wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:15 amwe support any resolution that [...] has aspect ratio bigger than 1 (ie. no portrait).
Any chance of portrait support in the future?