Farming Simulator 19 : Dedicated Server

coolfarmer

Farming Simulator 19 : Dedicated Server

Post by coolfarmer »

Hello guys!

Just a simple question, on FS17 when you want to run a dedicated server you need to buy a second copy of the game, I just want to know if the same behavior will by applied on FS19?

Personally I hope that the answer is no. Every game I buy on Steam come with their dedicated server (ex.: ARK Survival, Space Engineers, ECO Survival and a lot more). Farming Simulator is the exception and honestly it's pretty bad to ask to your costumers to buy another copy of your game just to run a dedicated server.

My 2 cents! :hi:
Thanks.
Earnest Pea

Re: Farming Simulator 19 : Dedicated Server

Post by Earnest Pea »

I don't think the devs have said anything about that yet. Almost everything we know so far is listed here: https://www.yesmods.com/farming-simulat ... -features/
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

All they list was the PC specs is all, nothing really said about dedicated server for fs19
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Not expecting a change, it's not weird either, in my eyes. you are essentially running 2 game copies, when you have a dedicated server and play yourself.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
coolfarmer

Post by coolfarmer »

Alagos wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 am Not expecting a change, it's not weird either, in my eyes. you are essentially running 2 game copies, when you have a dedicated server and play yourself.
Go say that to ALL other games on Steam where you can have a dedicated server. Files to run it are included in the base price, you don't have to buy twice the game.

Not expecting a change, it's not weird either
This is the proof that you have never run a dedicated server on other game. Imagine you should buy twice every game you want to run a server. Counter-Strike, ARK : Survival (66$), Space Engineers, Astroneers, ECO AND many other popular game. Buying twice the game is just a stupid behavior to make more easy money.

I don't think the devs have said anything about that yet. Almost everything we know so far is listed here: https://www.yesmods.com/farming-simulat ... -features/
I know that the dev have said anything on that, this is why I ask the question and hope a community manager will see my post.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

coolfarmer wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 pm I know that the dev have said anything on that, this is why I ask the question and hope a community manager will see my post.
The point is, they've talked about everything that they're ready to talk about. If there is something they haven't mentioned, its because either its not happening or they're still working on it. If they're still working on it, they won't be sure if that feature will be ready at release time, so they don't tell us.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

@coolfarmer, most of those games are twice as expensive on release.
Now, try again, thanks.

>>Rules<<
coolfarmer

Post by coolfarmer »

Alagos wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 pm @coolfarmer, most of those games are twice as expensive on release.
Now, try again, thanks.
What? Nope lol ARK was 23$ on release (dedicated sever included). Space Engineers was 20$. ECO is actually ~35$.
Farming Simulator 19 is 45$ and files to run a server are not included, it's a steal.

Name me one other game where you have to pay a extra copy to run a server! :lol:
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Your atleast mixing something up, FS is 35$ (usd), but honestly, I don't really care much about any of this, it is how it is, accept it...

>>Rules<<
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Alagos wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 am Not expecting a change, it's not weird either, in my eyes. you are essentially running 2 game copies, when you have a dedicated server and play yourself.
The only catch in your logic is that other games have offered headless server executables for years. The server executable need only work from the command line and would be useless for any purpose other than hosting players on other computers with the full game.

That’s how networked multiplayer got it’s start; first on LANs (usually hidden at companies and universities) and LAN parties, then little known internet severs (still often hidden on company and university networks and servers), then server search engines in the games. All those games managed to make (loads of) money and the server executable was just “free” on the disk if you wanted it or available for download. It wasn’t until the game companies decided they could charge for that, too, that the big commercial servers came along.

Anyway, as far as I’m concerned, I’d be willing to pay a little extra for a server “dlc”. (I think the did that on earlier versions of FS.) All I’d want it for would be to set up a server for me and my kids on my home network. (It’s just not practical for me to pay for a hosting service, given the limited time we have to play.)
TankerWar

Post by TankerWar »

I love how when people post a question that others have to start an argument with it. All that was asked was if information was released about FS19 requiring a second copy for dedicated servers. What happens then is other people come on and start arguing about how there is nothing wrong with what the company is doing and how other games out there that have the dedicated servers come with them are really expensive games. That is funny because while the game itself might be only $35 what about all the dlc you have to purchase a second time if you want to play those on your server? Looking at FS17 that's close to $100 and you have to do that twice.

I have no issue paying extra to run a dedicated server but to have to pay full price for the basic game and the dlc a second time is overboard and I will agree it is a cheesy way for the company to squeeze out more money when they already get it through their dlc. The other issue I have with paying this extra money for the game and all the dlc is the fact that Giants can't fix the Steam support for dedicated servers. Looking at posts that go all the way back to 2016 for FS17 about how people are having issues with the dedicated server resource monitor not working with the Steam version of the game. I'm sorry but if you require people to purchase a second copy to run a dedicated server then you should make sure it all works the way it should. 2018 now and still no fix.

Again, I myself have played other games that have dlc you have to purchase to play multiplayer or to do dedicated servers and while I still feel it's a cheap way to make money, I don't mind doing it. To have to purchase $100+ when I've already done that once just to run a dedicated server is a bit of overkill. I get that this might be acceptable years ago as someone was mentioning the lan parties and times changing, but that's just it, times are changing and Giants need to realize that they are left behind by not allowing dedicated support without a second copy. Just because you have done it in the past and it works doesn't mean you should just continue doing it. At some point people will start calling it a cash cow.

I personally hope that FS19 does include the dedicated support without the second copy and that Steam versions work like they should. At the very least though, I do not want to have to repurchase all the dlc a second time to run a server. With Cattle and Crops out there, I hope this pushes Giants to realize that others are jumping into the genre and that if you have a choice to buy once compared to having to buy multiple copies, people may abandon ship and go to the other game.
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

Not really a fact, cause game you buy for running a dedicated server is unplayable. It's more like a "service" running in the background and is NOT a playable licence. Or - it *is* playable, but then won't work as a dedicated server with the web-services etc (web gui for administering the server). It's either to be run playable, or as a dedicated (non playable) server.
twowildandcrazy

Post by twowildandcrazy »

hey im with him on why should we buy more then one copy to run a server cause all the server dose is track the moment of players it not a full game and i all so own 4 servers that i do host a lot games on and so far farm sim is the only one that i have to buy more then 1 copy to run it
twowildandcrazy

Post by twowildandcrazy »

if you own the server as far as i know yes you have to buy a copy to host a headless server if your going to rent one no you do not have to buy a copy to host the headless server
MBlazerGuy

Post by MBlazerGuy »

I also agree 100% that we should not have to buy an additional copy of the game to run a Dedicated server.

I have a spare PC running in my basement that's on 24x7, and have run dedicated servers for Ark Survival, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, Assetto Corsa, and have never had to purchase a 2nd copy. (and have never had the need to rent hardware)

I did have to buy 2 copies of Farm Sim 2017. (So already "thanks" for that!)
Plus, you can't buy 2 copies of the same game under the same Steam account, so you have to set up a 2nd account just for this as well.

The fun part about running the server, even if it's only for yourself, is that you can farm in real time, without time accelerating, and know that the fields keep growing, when you're off line.
Doug