A few observations on playing for the first time (Xbox)

RogsR35UK

A few observations on playing for the first time (Xbox)

Post by RogsR35UK »

I have played FS15 and FS17 so expected this to be somewhat intuitive. Not so far!

That DLC Mahindra is more or less uncontrollable at speed... I rolled it. Finding how to Reset it proved difficult due to the “Improved” Menu System. Is there an option to make the steering less sensitive? I’ll probably stick to the John Deere for getting around as it is slower on top speed.

I eventually gave up on the owned farm start option as I’d taken a contract but had no idea what I was supposed to do. Taking stuff from the Dairy to the Spanish Mansion. I think I did find the Spanish Mansion!

Deleting that first save, I went for the plenty of funds (middle option on starting) which had a loan included in the starting money which struck me as odd. The next issue was buying some fields as there seemed no way to do so, certainly no handy icon to use. Makes life difficult to say the least. How do you buy a field?

I presume the extortionate running costs from FS17 have been replaced by the need to repair the vehicles occasionally.

Running on my old Xbox One came up with the inevitable occasional stutter when moving.

I expect things wil become easier when I get used to the new menu system. At least the farming side hasn’t changed.

I presume we will be getting some non-articulated trucks to carry crops in via the Mods.
Guil

Re: A few observations on playing for the first time (Xbox)

Post by Guil »

From what I have seen all the transport missions require you to move a pallet from A to B.

You don't buy fields anymore, you buy and sell land, press the left analog stick while looking at the map and the land you own comes up green. Highlight other parcels of land and press A I think and it will highlight it blue and tell you the cost, you can sell your land in the same way.
RogsR35UK

Post by RogsR35UK »

After a further session on the PS4 (yes I have the game on both platforms!), I figured out the reset thing and also that land purchasing, thanks for your response.

It would make life a bit easier if the cursor could be moved relative to the map, rather than moving the map until the cursor is over what you are interested in.

On the New Farmer option, I sold all the tractors (having one seemed a more sensible option) and bought the Fendt 511. Sold the combine and header to buy one with a wider header, as fitting a wider header (not excessively wide) to the starter machine resulted in a serious lack of speed. I also sold the buildings as they were just for decoration, so that I could have a decent balance to work the starter farm.

With the Farm Manager option it was a matter of choosing starter land with a crop that could be harvested with a “standard” header. There was a field of Oats with 100% Fertilizing so that seemed a good place to start.

I think I am more or less used to the new in game menus now, which should make life easier.

I discovered that Gold Valtra DLC this morning (Xbox). There appeared to be a Limited Edition Mahindra on PS4 but it looked to be a buy it option, though it wasn’t actually available.
Lindydanny

Post by Lindydanny »

The stutter in frame rates is disturbing. I really hope that issue gets patched. Also, the shadow effects create a lot of shimmer and rapid texture swapping. I figure that is adding to a lot of the frame rate issues.

I agree that the Manhindra is just too fast. I feel like it is the same issue from FS17 where going has requires extremely tiny control inputs or you flip.

Also, the invert axis only works first person which is disorienting.

It's not "unplayable", but I really hope these issues get resolved.
Florish

Post by Florish »

And how exactually do i reset equipment on consoles ?? Ps4 :)
Digital farmer from the Netherlands
- FS17/19 on PS4
- FS22 on PS5
Lindydanny

Post by Lindydanny »

You have to select the equipment to reset from the map by hovering the courser over it and pushing one of the thumb sticks down (don't remember which). An icon should pop up and give you options at the bottom of the screen.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Careful when you reset tractors. Apparently your fuel tank empties.
Skunkworks

Post by Skunkworks »

The controlling at speed is something I had mentioned a few times already, I wish Giants will take a look at addressing this. Vehicles at high speed becomes unctrollable.
RogsR35UK

Post by RogsR35UK »

I want to see that nice mod stump grinder which in FS17 was great for removing unwanted trees (I found that there was far too much hassle trying to load trimmed logs onto a trailer). I usually went for a front loader on a tractor as the log grip was fixed.

What happened to all the placeables that generated extra income? There seems a serious lack of Beehives, Solar Panels or Wind Turbines.

Nice to see the South American Map. Downside to that is that 20% of the Mod Space is now gone. Why couldn’t it have been made a game upgrade, so that it didn’t impact on space?

Some of the fields do seem to be blessed with some closely planted trees which could make life interesting for a Hire Worker... I’ll have to wait for a stump grinder, the one that looks like a roller. Has anyone tried the Hire Worker option yet?

I must say that I find the graphic (standard Xbox One at least) a downgrade over FS17. The colours do seem a bit vivid. I am not sure they were much better on my standard PS4.

I noticed on some fields the ground seemed very rough. Nice to see the drivers seat has working suspension! Also the rail lines seemed somewhat extreme when delivering some grain to the Port.