Plough versus Subsoiler

Shoddyfrog

Plough versus Subsoiler

Post by Shoddyfrog »

If I can buy a subsoiler that is same cost and horsepower requirement as a plough but has a wider working width, why buy a plough? What is the difference between them?
bojanh66

Re: Plough versus Subsoiler

Post by bojanh66 »

Plough can create new field, thats the only difference.
Other than that, use subsoiler, you will finish field work much faster cause of wider working width.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Wish they would allow the subsoilers to create fields. Those plows are a pain to use.
Shoddyfrog

Post by Shoddyfrog »

Great thankyou.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

garyst wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:55 pm Wish they would allow the subsoilers to create fields. Those plows are a pain to use.
+1, the Weba 6m was my go to field creating tool in FS17.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

I look forward to a new straight plow via mod.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

bojanh66 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:49 pm Plough can create new field, thats the only difference.
Other than that, use subsoiler, you will finish field work much faster cause of wider working width.
Oh dear. Once again it appears there is a missed opportunity to add some some very interesting yet simple realism. In real life ploughs and subsoilers are quite different machines with quite different purposes. Using them interchangeably to do the same thing in the game is, well, silly :blushnew:
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

Well, try to think about it from a gameplay perspective. They are both employed to loosen/turn soil deeper down than cultivators. So, in that sense, while the machines themselves are different and employed differently, I actually agree with the implementation from a gameplay perspective. Need to strike a balance between reality and ease of access/use. You shouldn't need to be a farmer to understand and enjoy the game :)
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

cmdrbyron wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:26 pm Well, try to think about it from a gameplay perspective. They are both employed to loosen/turn soil deeper down than cultivators. So, in that sense, while the machines themselves are different and employed differently, I actually agree with the implementation from a gameplay perspective. Need to strike a balance between reality and ease of access/use. You shouldn't need to be a farmer to understand and enjoy the game :)
Couldn’t have said it better myself. IMHO, with the lime and weed implementation his time, they may have found a good balance between real-life complexity and enjoyable/understandable game play.
xterminator24

Post by xterminator24 »

One further difference - You can't use a Subsoiler on a plowing contract. I registered that one as a bug as they should be permitted given that the game outcome between the 2 implements is programmed to be the same.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

xterminator24 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm One further difference - You can't use a Subsoiler on a plowing contract. I registered that one as a bug as they should be permitted given that the game outcome between the 2 implements is programmed to be the same.
Thanks for pointing that one out; I might have been bit by it otherwise. I agree it should be a bug...
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

gordon861 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm I look forward to a new straight plow via mod.
It would be great to get the case plow mod in 19. Definitely needed.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

parad0x177 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:35 pm
xterminator24 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm One further difference - You can't use a Subsoiler on a plowing contract. I registered that one as a bug as they should be permitted given that the game outcome between the 2 implements is programmed to be the same.
Thanks for pointing that one out; I might have been bit by it otherwise. I agree it should be a bug...
As a customer if I asked for my field to be ploughed and it was subsoiled, I don't think I would be happy.
xterminator24

Post by xterminator24 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm
parad0x177 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:35 pm
As a customer if I asked for my field to be ploughed and it was subsoiled, I don't think I would be happy.
In real life that's probably true.

The issue from a game-play sense is that subsoiling has the same effect as a plow. Go into the store and select a subsoiler - the text in the store even says something to the effect of "Can be used in place of a plow" (not sitting right in front of the game). So either they need to give the subsoiler different, unique functionality or it should be permitted to be used in plowing contracts.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Sure, it has the same functionality, but the plough leaves a ploughed texture and the subsoiler leaves a cultivated texture.