More about weeds.

FarmDemAcres

Re: More about weeds.

Post by FarmDemAcres »

I played the game for several in game days without seeing any weeds in my fields in Ravenport lots 21,22 and 23 although they were showing up on AI maps. Recently they have finally started showing up. Perhaps this was due to the N to S propagation issue described above. But I am not seeing any yield penalty when harvesting a field infested with weeds compared to a fully weeded field. Any others experience this on Farm Manager mode?
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

I'd guess that you quit the game after the epidemic started but before it reached your fields. It would probably take 5 in-game hours for the epidemic to reach that far down the map. And like I've observed, If you quit the game, the epidemic stops till the next one.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
sootysax

Post by sootysax »

is it a bug that weeds go from 0% to 100% whenever weeds grow?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I don't think so. Weeds have these states in the game
1 = planted
2 = visible small weeds
3 = visible large weeds
4 = dead small weeds
5 = dead large weeds

The weeds grow on their own timing cycle once they've been planted up to 3. If an area is surrounded by visible weeds and since weeds get planted on the entire field, then it's 100% weeds.
Jam4430

Post by Jam4430 »

theSeb wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am Weeds are planted every time a crop is planted, by you, or the AI, except for crops that have the field plantsWeed defined to false in the game's xml files.

Crops with plantsWeeds = false are oilSeedRadish, poplar, and grass

This is why you see entire fields covered with weeds. They have a growthStateTime, just like every other crop, but it is defined much lower than any other crop. Growth state time is the time in milliseconds for a crop to reach the next growth state

Currently in the base game there is no way to do preventive spraying. In other words.. if you have just planted a crop and there are no weeds yet, spraying herbicide won't prevent the weeds from growing.
A clue to a new seasons feature? Do I smell some atrizine and 2 4-d in the works?
BigTex114

Post by BigTex114 »

I would like weeds to infect fields randomly. Infecting the entire map in essentially a single swath doesn't seem realistic.
Playing Marwell Manor on Windows :gamer:
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

theSeb has already said that Weeds will come in patches in Seasons 19. He's been working on it this week. I think it'll be awesome again. It'll be interesting how we have to tackle them though.
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

theSeb wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm No worries. I am working on weeds in Seasons 19 right now, so it was useful to see what's going on in the base game, vs what I am doing.
@theSeb - Seasons19:

Are you planning on changing how weeders work on grown plants?
It's strange to see at the moment a weeder clearing half-grown corn fields.
I'm not a real farmer, but I'm guessing weeders are useful only at early stage crop growth.

Also, are you planning on implementing preventive use of weeders and weed-killers?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

We are still in discussion how weeders should actually work. Personally I don't see how a weeder can do anything preventive regarding weeds. If anything, running a weeder through ground without visible weeds should trigger them to sprout in my opinion, which is not a bad thing. Sometimes you want to encourage the weed seeds to sprout so that you can kill them with spraying. I am not a farmer either. I just muck about in my 20 acres of grass and a compact utility tractor. My grandfather was a farmer and we didn't have fancy weeders.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

My grandparents were farmers too, but so did almost everybody in their area. Most of them only had a donkey, but anyway :P
What you say about weeders sounds logical. Perhaps a real farmer could give feedback.
Sprayed weed-killers are a different story though. Can it stay on the ground through crop growth and prevent weed growth?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Yes, it certainly could ;)
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

Typically in the us there are 5 things we regularly apply to fields. Lime, then any needed nutrient in the soil, then fertilizer when seeding, then herbicide on half grown crops, the pesticide once crops have reached their full heights. The pesticide is usually applied by crop duster and the fert when seeding is usually liquid, not solid. The only other preventative measures that almost every farmer strives for are genetically modified seed which helps a lot to save you the time and money of applicating.
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I grew up on a farm and we never used a weeder...I have no idea what it is used for..lol
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

Crop dusting ..... now that would be fun.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Well, it basically does mechanical weed removal. So it pulls them out using the tines, much like a chain harrow works on grass.