FS19 NavMesh tutorial step by step

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
jpm1

FS19 NavMesh tutorial step by step

Post by jpm1 »

Hi, i'm trying to create navMeshes in 19. and i'm having so many problems. or i can't create anything, or it creates a navmesh not like my plane, but like the older navmesh i've just removed. is it me, or others are facing lot of bugs with that thing too. i reinstalled the prog. i even purchased the official tut which btw, is pretty expensive regarding that there's nothing about the navmeshes, and info layer tool. nothing worked. Giants you need to include a real navMesh section in your tut, and lower its price too. that price is quite insane regarding what it contains (i'm not trolling/bashing)

edit: that topic started as an issue. but as i figured how to sort it out, i decided to create a complete tutorial. scroll down for it
Last edited by jpm1 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TSM

Re: FS19 - is Giants editor navMeshes tool completely broken

Post by TSM »

personally i think charging for modding tutorial's is wrong in the first place :)
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

You are aware that Giants offers quite a lot of free content realated to modding on their GDN site: https://gdn.giants-software.com ?
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

this is correct, i know fair well the charging is anecdotic as they release dozens of quality mods regularly, and most of the tuts can be found on YT. but what i was trying to say it's that charging 5€ for a tut that contains 0 info about navMeshes there's something wrong there. at 5€ there should be a navMeshes section. i'm sure it would take less than one hour for a Giants dev to do this. right now i've tried all the YT tuts, including FS15 ones, and i'm completely stuck
Bonger76

Post by Bonger76 »

jpm1 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 pm Hi, i'm trying to create navMeshes in 19. and i'm having so many problems. or i can't create anything, or it creates a navmesh not like my plane, but like the older navmesh i've just removed. is it me, or others are facing lot of bugs with that thing too. i reinstalled the prog. i even purchased the official tut which btw, is pretty expensive regarding that there's nothing about the navmeshes, and info layer tool. nothing worked. Giants you need to include a real navMesh section in your tut, and lower its price too. that price is quite insane regarding what it contains (i'm not trolling/bashing)
take a look at this video from shywizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnmG4EW-ZU
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

man, thank you, but i have watched that video 242 000 times. i have the Error: No vertices to create navigation meshes. i searched the net, couldn't find any fix
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

ok, i finally found how to make it. and i'm so happy, that i decided i'll do a tut about it :zunge: . so here's an exemple about how to create a navMesh for chicken

first pick up any animal husbandry placeable mod. here i'll use MW_PLACEABLE_HOF.zip mod (sadly i can't name the author as there was no read me in the file) which contains a chicken husbandry

back up the mod in case you mess (or GE messes), and extract your zip to a folder, and open your chicken husbandry in GE. in GE (Giants editor) in the upper left be sure show navMeshes is ticked View > Show > Navigations Meshes. this will allow you see the NavMesh (navigation mesh). where your animals will be allowed to roam. you get this

the blue thing you see is the navMesh. Now we are going to create a new mesh. Create a plane Create > Primitive > Plane

now you have created the first part of your mesh. The idea is to create the whole new NavMesh using several planes. but before going further you need to create the first plane its properties. or when you'll clone it it won't work. for some odd reason you need to add the properties since start. so we are going to tell the game the newly created is a chicken Navigation mesh. on the right, in object mask choose 2 (2 = chicken, 1 = sheep, 0 = cow)

and do the same for shape

now your plane has the properties. create your navMesh by cloning the plane using Ctrl + D, and the X, and Z scale options. be sure all the planes connects to each other. once you are satisfied with your stuff, and before going further, save the file. as GE often crashes at this point. this will prevent you from going from 0
select all your planes (Shift Click upper and lower planes), and in the upper menu select Create > Navigation Meshes.... a pop up menu will appear

once you have set up all this, very important click recreate (not create as there's still another navMesh in the hierarchy. you should see your new NavMesh

now delete the planes. we don't need them anymore

now we are almost set up. we just need to replace the original NavMesh. but the newly created NavMesh has to have the same place in the hierarchy as the original. it's very easy. select the new NavMesh, cut it (Ctrl + X), and paste it where the old NavMesh is located. here the old one is in the group SCS_HUEHNERSTALL_KLEIN. so select SCS_HUEHNERSTALL_KLEIN, and paste the new mesh (Ctrl + V). now you see your new mesh is in the correct group. but it's still not at the original NavMesh place. so right click on the new Mesh, and choose move up until your reach the old Mesh in the hierarchy. once your new NavMesh is right under the old NavMesh, just delete the old one. Save the file, repack it (zip without compression). Place it in your mods folder, and enjoy you new stuff

useful tips:

- when your repack your mod (zip) do not repack the folder, but the folder's content. or the stuff won't work
- if you want to edit some cosmetic aspects of the mod. avoid deleting. unless you are comfortable with FS19 placeables hierarchy system. use no visibility, and no collision options instead. that way you won't create a mess in the hierarchy
TSM

Re: FS19 NavMesh tutorial step by step

Post by TSM »

Nice, I glad you worked it out :)
cla_boss

Post by cla_boss »

Thank you for the help
trans_am_77

Post by trans_am_77 »

Anyone confirm the settings for Horses?