Total Mix Ration

crawleysnipe

Total Mix Ration

Post by crawleysnipe »

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot or already has a thread but I've run into a problem making TMR. When I'm trying to mix the ingredients, I keep getting a message saying that a bale is not supported. I'm getting it on grass, silage and straw. All of them I guess. I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong? It will load one and then the next it says not supported even though I got it from the same place as the last. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I should probably say that this is the first FS game I've ever played so I'm really new to it. Sorry for my ignorance. Again, thanks for your help.
W1der

Re: Total Mix Ration

Post by W1der »

You say grass ... use hay for the mix!

Grass wont mix with the others but might be excepted on its own.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
crawleysnipe

Post by crawleysnipe »

Sorry, I meant hay. Just in case. I'll try again. Thanks for answering.
crawleysnipe

Post by crawleysnipe »

Ok, So I sold my mixer cart and bought another just in case it was some kinda glitch. I put one hay, one straw and one silage bale in. it said that my straw was too high but when I tried to add a second hay it said it wasn't supported. Same with another silage bale. I also notice that it appears that the cart is full. I must be doing something wrong. I'm sorry to keep on with this but I'm starting to regret getting cattle now lol.
psfd237

Post by psfd237 »

How big is the mixer? I use one that holds 16000l, 2 bales of hay, one straw and one silage.
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

this is what I put in mine using the hay loft and silage from bunker.

Kuhn Knight RA142
3,000-straw
5,000-hay
3,900-silage

Siloking Trailedline duo 1814
4,000-straw
8,000-hay
4,000-silage
crawleysnipe

Post by crawleysnipe »

@lefe1 Thanks so much! I got the Siloking and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks to all of you for your answers and help. Now to just figure out how to harvest milk and the fertilizer.

One other question if you don't mind. I put grass is a bunker. When I went to pull some out to mix TMR, it then said chaff. Can you not store grass in the concrete bunkers? Thanks again for all your help.
W1der

Post by W1der »

There is another thread on this topic that might be useful ...
viewtopic.php?f=963&t=139437

Grass magically turns in to chaff as soon as you put it in to the silage bunker.
Do you know how to make silage out of it?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

nope can't store grass in the bunker. it will change to chaff every time...
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

crawleysnipe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 pm @lefe1 Thanks so much! I got the Siloking and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks to all of you for your answers and help. Now to just figure out how to harvest milk and the fertilizer.

One other question if you don't mind. I put grass is a bunker. When I went to pull some out to mix TMR, it then said chaff. Can you not store grass in the concrete bunkers? Thanks again for all your help.
When you put grass into a bunker it automatically turns into Chaff which you can cover and make into silage. Although you wouldn’t be using grass to make tmr anyway.

The easiest way to store grass is to bale it, but there is no real reason to store it. It makes more sense to till it into hay then you can bale it or store it in the hay loft. I believe all the animals will take hay in place of grass although I could be wrong.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Storing wet grass would probably be a very short term solution ... drying it (making hay) makes for better storage and yes ... all animals accept hay.
crawleysnipe

Post by crawleysnipe »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:11 pm
crawleysnipe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 pm @lefe1 Thanks so much! I got the Siloking and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks to all of you for your answers and help. Now to just figure out how to harvest milk and the fertilizer.

When you put grass into a bunker it automatically turns into Chaff which you can cover and make into silage. Although you wouldn’t be using grass to make tmr anyway.

The easiest way to store grass is to bale it, but there is no real reason to store it. It makes more sense to till it into hay then you can bale it or store it in the hay loft. I believe all the animals will take hay in place of grass although I could be wrong.
That's true but both horses and cows also need the grass as well. You are correct that in my case both horses and cows take hay, but they both need grass as well.

Speaking about covering the chaff. Can you tell me how that's done. I walked up to the bunker and did not get an option to cover it. Do I need to pack it down first. I was going to try that after work today.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I think you will find they need grass OR hay. Not both. My sheep have never had grass and they are at 100%

To cover the silo, the chaff needs to be at 100% compacted (drive over it a lot or use a roller) then you should get the option in the menu to cover the silo.
W1der

Post by W1der »

The funny thing about grass is that the animal pens is covered with grass and the animals eat it straight out of the ground ... :lol:
jamesadams933

Post by jamesadams933 »

the cows and horses do have a option to feed grass separate from hay, sheep don't, you could just pick some up with a forage wagon before you ted the rest for hay.