Old Equipment

gordon861

Old Equipment

Post by gordon861 »

Is there any reason to sell old equipment any more?

I have a 24m Kuhn sprayer that gets used on a lot of contracts that has nearly 50hrs on it and it's worth less than 4k, the front tank is worth around 1k, and the T5 that it's fitted to is worth 12k. So total worth of set up is around 17k.

I was looking at buying a wider sprayer (84-115k) but the money I'll get back (4k) it's hardly worth getting rid of my older kit, better just to hold onto it, leave it on the T5 and just run contracts with it. All I need is a couple of large field contracts and the setup has paid for itself.

It's the same with my harvester, I have an RSM 161 with 36hrs on the clock worth £62k (compared to £300k to buy). By the time I can afford to spend £400k+ on a bigger one, the value of this one will be so low that the extra little bit of cash will not be worth selling. Again much better to just semi-retire the unit or just run contracts whilst I do my own farm.

The depreciation of this game is so wrong, it made sense on FS17 where the cost of maintaining the equipment went up over time and worked as a money sink. But now when equipment doesn't have a daily maintenance fee it doesn't make any sense. There should be a large drop in value as you drive it off the forecourt of the store but they should reach a much higher floor than they do currently. I'm sure any real farmers out there will confirm that even an old well maintained would be worth a fair bit of money on a farm.

Am I missing something? Or is this just another 'ported' artifact from FS17 that no longer makes sense or just wasn't looked at/updated?

Does the maintenance cost increase over time or is it just a fixed cost/time fee?
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
psfd237

Re: Old Equipment

Post by psfd237 »

I had the same question, I have an 8400R with 68 hrs on it...... won't be long I'll have to pay someone to take it. lol It works good so I'm going to see how many hours I can get on it and if the maintenance starts going down faster.
VAGamer

Post by VAGamer »

I also would like to see the resale floor raised a bit and the depreciation rate slowed.
Morts

Post by Morts »

Also the ability to buy second hand gear woul be good to get started