AGCO related Equipment

Beastbubba

Re: AGCO related Equipment

Post by Beastbubba »

Michael5941 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 am I'm curious though how much did giants spend on the current license? And how much is a branding license cost in general. I've always been curious but never looked into it
From my understanding it's more of a contract. The brands like having their equipment being present in any media as long as it is shown in a good light, it is advertising after all. But it being advertising, they want certain things and don't want others. Brands don't want their stuff in a game like GTA because it's controversial and has lots of crime and violence (not that I have anything against it, I love GTA), likewise they don't want their stuff to appear in a bad game (bad graphics, terrible bugs, etc..). They want their brand to look and work good within the media, although a vehicle in a game really does not represent it's RL counterpart, a bad representation could put off a potential buyer.

Sure none of this gives any reason as to why there is or isen't any certain piece equipment in the game, but there is a lot more to it than "they should be able to add it..." Giants could only put in so much stuff, as it was the game was pushed back and still released before it was truly ready, they deffinatly didn't have time to be adding in more equipment. So they themselves chose certain equipment to get in and some to leave out. Also the Brands have tons of say over what goes in, there could be any number of reasons a brand did or didn't want something in the game.

Neither Giants nor any of the Brands have released nor probably ever intend to release their license aggrements, so we have no clue what is or is not in them.
PC gamer.
kintino

Post by kintino »

Michael5941 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 am I'm curious though how much did giants spend on the current license? And how much is a branding license cost in general. I've always been curious but never looked into it

I believe that these types of licenses are renewed from time to time example 5 or 10 years, it would be sendable to pay this annually for both the brands that have in the game, I know that there are licenses that last a lifetime but will depend on the type of agreement that was performed. This information we will not know.
Michael5941

Post by Michael5941 »

Ah
PS4 User(PSN- LoneWolf5841)
Enjoying FS19 on PS4
Thanks to the modders for the wonderful work they do, Happy Farming :hi:
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

I get the licenses and what not...but...in FS17 Ahran Modding made the Fendt1050 and skinned it as a Challenger1000.And it was great. If it was just about licenses I doubt that woulda happened. Right?
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

TacoFarmer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm I get the licenses and what not...but...in FS17 Ahran Modding made the Fendt1050 and skinned it as a Challenger1000.And it was great. If it was just about licenses I doubt that woulda happened. Right?
I think the difference is that modders don’t get paid whereas Giants eArn money from the sales of the game. Or something.

I know the fact that modders do it for free is what makes the difference.

Licensing for modders does still apply somehow though, there was a post up ages ago saying that modders could now mod JD stuff for consoles now there are licensed models in game. Although that made no sense to me to be honest :hmm:
Michael5941

Post by Michael5941 »

TacoFarmer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm I get the licenses and what not...but...in FS17 Ahran Modding made the Fendt1050 and skinned it as a Challenger1000.And it was great. If it was just about licenses I doubt that woulda happened. Right?
We also got a bobcat skid steer in 17 for consoles, which is a brand that's not even in the game
Enjoying FS19 on PS4
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

A few pieces of mis-information floating around here:

- Cost: Everything has a cost, and given that Giants has been adamant about not giving any manufacturer preferential treatment (i.e. better representation and/or positive contrasting against other brands), it is very likely that they are indeed paying for the rights to use the OEM's IP. Personally? I do not believe that the JD license came cheap for Giants (and by extension, us)...

- Comparability: Though some licenses may appear to be similar in nature, it is very likely that they are not (at least in my experience working with IP licensing in software). Best to think of each item represented in-game as a unique, individual IP element - though it is likely several from the same manufacturer are aggregated under one or more larger licensing agreements.

- Scope: Referring back to the cost element, it is unlikely that Giants has sought an "unlimited use/representation" license from any of the manufacturers (and all of their discrete entities), which is why there are many instances of one item being in-game, but another (sometimes different only in paint/branding) may not be. Same applies to regional peculiarities. Giants is a European company, likely dealing with the European entities of OEMs. Sure, brands may be "global", but often are actually treated as discrete regional entities for a wide-range of business reasons. What this means is that a license with the European entity does not necessarily convey rights to use IP owned by other entities (sample case: European vs North American configurations).

As an aside, the bobcat skidsteer mod should be considered an exception, because the modder themselves sought permission from the OEM in order to port it to consoles.
Michael5941

Post by Michael5941 »

cmdrbyron wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm As an aside, the bobcat skidsteer mod should be considered an exception, because the modder themselves sought permission from the OEM in order to port it to consoles.
Ah thanks for the answer, didn't know that
Enjoying FS19 on PS4
Mark0306090120

Post by Mark0306090120 »

The bobcat would be nice.
TaintedBlackCat

Post by TaintedBlackCat »

IceUul wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm There is no license fees at all, it is about what Giants and AGCO wants to put into the game.
I completely 100% agree Ice, GIANTS do not pay for the rights LOL, GIANTS applies for the right to use a companies products, but the company expects a certain level of similarity between the real life and graphical version of the tool/vehicle. Also, "will our company benefit from having our product in this video game? Will it assist in raising our profile, or is it a good advertising tactic."

The issues that a company like GIANTS would struggle with would have to do with the companies amount of legal and contractual red tape. Companies want to know "how will my product be portrayed in the game?" Will the game and our product be open to controversial or ethical issues once released?" Or "Will my product be represented true and correct in the game?"

GIANTS' legal team or in fact anyone from GIANTS would understand the true situation regarding this topic. Anyone forum users Advertising people or have similar knowledge on this issue?

Would anyone at GIANTS be able to clear this up? Did you need to pay licensing fees for the use of the featured companies products in the FS series? If not, are you able to correct me if I'm wrong about the contents of my post? Any help would be appreciated, I'd actually really like to know for sure so would a lot of the other contributors😸.
I'm not perfect..but I'm Australian, and that's pretty damn close!!🐈 . Ex Royal Australian Navy sailor. Moved to New Zealand recently to dairy farm in New Zealand. 600 milking cows. Running old Duetz Fahr Agrostar 6.61
TaintedBlackCat

Post by TaintedBlackCat »

@cmdrByron, you have just answered my question, I didn't realise you had been involved in areas regarding to IP in software, I think I may have been wrong, I really thought GIANTS didn't pay for their use of companies products.

Thanks for clearing it all up😸
I'm not perfect..but I'm Australian, and that's pretty damn close!!🐈 . Ex Royal Australian Navy sailor. Moved to New Zealand recently to dairy farm in New Zealand. 600 milking cows. Running old Duetz Fahr Agrostar 6.61