Is anyone still playing On FS17?

hun3

Re: Is anyone still playing On FS17?

Post by hun3 »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 am Due to various reasons I find absolutely no enjoyment with FS19 what-so-ever. It is not immersive, or enjoyable in it's present state. The lighting and graphics are more a case of "look at what our new graphics engine can do", instead of actually getting the settings balanced so we are not driving around in post apocolyptic world. The vehicle engine sound response to acceleration, load and other tasks is well... I'm sorry but bluntly it's broken. It may have the exact recorded sounds of the RL tractors but the sound engine doesn't work. It's no good driving a 400bhp tractor around a tarmac test track with no equipment attached and expecting to get a realistic engine sound. GIANTS really need to spend some time on an actual farm, and not for a employee + family day out, although that looked lovely, but a RL working farm where they can observe and understand just what it looks and sounds like in the real world.

So many aspects of the game feel unfinished and this just takes away any enjoyment from playing it. I know there are plenty who enjoy it, and yes I am a fussy old git, but I like what I like and this isn't it.

After the release and disappointment of what we had been promised compared to what we got I found myself not knowing what to do. Modding for FS19 is harder, which is fine if you enjoy the game, but with that gone, modding for it felt hollow and pointless.
Instead I've gone back to FS17 and am working on a project for myself and a few friends for our dedi server. It is a massively refreshing change to recent modding, and extremely enjoyable. Making exactly what I want, not what other players want. FS17 may seem and look outdated in some areas, but the actual gameplay is still far more enjoyable than anything FS19 has to offer. Maybe in 12 months time the game might be worth playing.
At the end of the day we do this all for enjoyment, otherwise what is the point right.
Am I reading this right? Bill you wont be releasing or converting maps to 19? I just died a little inside :(. You with oxygen david and black sheep modding are the reasons why I kept going on 17. Without you guys I rather play fallout 76.
cnsfarms

Post by cnsfarms »

Seems everyone is off 17 now, havent seeen a mp game in a couple weeks, Same way I feel about 13, I got the OGF map on it and put alot of time on it, Hate to give it up, Not going to 19 as for now.
CarsenGray

Post by CarsenGray »

I am still playing FS 17, mainly because I am on a fixed income, and cannot afford 19 at the moment. However, judging by the negative comments regarding 19, I think I will stick with 17 for now. Especially since my main computer crashed recently, and my backup computer would struggle with the graphics of 19.
FS-19 (PC)
Grizzly39samr

Post by Grizzly39samr »

Have to agree with BulletBill, Giants seems to have forgotten some of the basic requirements for games, ie that gameplay is more important then graphics and audio is just as important as graphics. Nice graphics and Bling is not enough if the target is a quality game with longevity/replayability.

There are many things about FS19 which are very good individually, but the whole FS19 package, especially from a business/technical aspect falls far short of where it should be. Unfortunately FS19 seems to be a perfect example of a 20% effort for an 80% product game. This, also unfortunately, is in many ways inevitable given the 2 year timeframe for releasing a brand new game.

My personal opinion is that they should concentrate on either making FS19 a decent game at the expense of skipping FS21 in the development cycle or work at making FS21 a game worth buying at the expense of abandoning FS19. Regardless of what they do and even assuming most of the current player base is still around, I can see a lot of players waiting a long time to make sure that the next iteration of FS is worth investing their time and money in, before clicking the purchase button. So in that respect, releasing FS19 as they did in it's current state, hasn't done them any favours.

Food for thought.
- Difficulties be Damned -
Blademaster

Post by Blademaster »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 am Due to various reasons I find absolutely no enjoyment with FS19 what-so-ever. It is not immersive, or enjoyable in it's present state. The lighting and graphics are more a case of "look at what our new graphics engine can do", instead of actually getting the settings balanced so we are not driving around in post apocolyptic world. The vehicle engine sound response to acceleration, load and other tasks is well... I'm sorry but bluntly it's broken. It may have the exact recorded sounds of the RL tractors but the sound engine doesn't work. It's no good driving a 400bhp tractor around a tarmac test track with no equipment attached and expecting to get a realistic engine sound. GIANTS really need to spend some time on an actual farm, and not for a employee + family day out, although that looked lovely, but a RL working farm where they can observe and understand just what it looks and sounds like in the real world.

So many aspects of the game feel unfinished and this just takes away any enjoyment from playing it. I know there are plenty who enjoy it, and yes I am a fussy old git, but I like what I like and this isn't it.

After the release and disappointment of what we had been promised compared to what we got I found myself not knowing what to do. Modding for FS19 is harder, which is fine if you enjoy the game, but with that gone, modding for it felt hollow and pointless.
Instead I've gone back to FS17 and am working on a project for myself and a few friends for our dedi server. It is a massively refreshing change to recent modding, and extremely enjoyable. Making exactly what I want, not what other players want. FS17 may seem and look outdated in some areas, but the actual gameplay is still far more enjoyable than anything FS19 has to offer. Maybe in 12 months time the game might be worth playing.
At the end of the day we do this all for enjoyment, otherwise what is the point right.
BulletBill, do you think anyone will do another map for FS17 or has that ship sailed too far out to sea.
Achtung Baby

Post by Achtung Baby »

I enjoyed 17, not a lot but it was ok. I avoided farm sim for a while and left 19 alone until an update or two was released. That being said, I finally bought 19 and haven't stopped playing it, I honestly haven't seen any bugs nor gameplay issues. My first farm sim was 13 and I was immersed in that game for a long time, thus I bought every game since. 15 was great, 17 was ok, I had loads more fun in 15... 17 never matched it for me. The graphics for 17 was pretty ordinary on my Mac, the detail in the distance was a mess, especially with snow while using Seasons.

But 19, I just love it, the graphics is great to see and the ability to shape the landscape makes it more playable. Biggest win is the contracts to work on other fields, far better than what 17 had to offer. The detail in the maps are great, with more realism. I bitched about 15, and 17 when they came out but not this time... 19 doesn't give me any gripes to talk about. Mods are cool, but nothing significant hardly ever comes our way, it's just rinse and repeat with every new version, seasons was a breath of fresh air but that was about all.

All in all, I'm having so much more fun again on farm sim 19... the older version don't come close.
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

17 is still getting some serious hours from me. There are plenty of maps that I have never worked on and I have only just decided to work a map with seasons installed ! I think 19 will eventually settle down and become more playable so for now I am only doing "testing" type stuff like terraforming.
ilovetrains

Post by ilovetrains »

I was thinking about this topic last night and shut down my FS17 savegame, and opened a FS19 session. It hit me like a ton of bricks...the ground textures are simply awful. So many of the mod maps have incorporated some really excellent ground textures. In these FS17 mod maps you can tell it was corn that harvested by looking at the ground texture post harvest. I started to look around the maps more and realized while the graphics are not as 'sharp', they are still far more detailed. It really is a huge difference.

To be fair - the ground textures on the Giants FS17 maps *censored* as well. So the bottom line is that FS17 is better than FS19 ONLY because of what the modding community was able to create.

Giants refused to try and incorporate the modding community. They built a game to be streamed on youtube...not played by the people who have bought into the series.
pingu

Post by pingu »

I entered the FS world with 15. Being a "heavy equipment nerd" I though it was a really cool and unique game. The countless numbers of violent fantasy and FPS games do not interest me. That it was not just a machine sandbox was refreshing. Due to various reasons I didn't play it that much. Never had any mods installed. I bought 17 when it was released, and thought that everything was a little bit better. No big step, but just I bit more polished.

After a few months I was rather tired of it, mostly due to the fact that the improvements or new stuff hardly added to the gameplay. The world still zombie-like, and the AI traffic/pedestrians were still weird, repetitive and just plain unrealistic. Felt like something other games had 15 years ago. The "transporting pallets" and "moving grass" missions were gone, and replaced by farming mission. Fine, but why not keep the old ones as well for more variety? Farming missions were nice, but the whole senario and lack of realistic interactions with other farmers quickly made them boring. Trains? Well, nice but how many farmers run trains for transport? If we can run trains, why not run a factory that takes crops and produce something?

And then the more basic problems with realism that in the end made the game feel like something for small kids. "Factories" (sell points) with (obvious) lots of traffic to/from them are accessed by dirt roads half covered with grass. Really? Empty lifeless buildings in the middle of nowhere buys all kinds of crops in infinit amounts, day and night. Run straight across fields from the combine to the place, dump it on the ground were it just disappears and you get money. Harvest, plow, plant, fertilize during the same hour, and then wait 1-2 "days" until repeating the process. Absolutely no randomness or realism in terms of environment or economy. Birds singing in the woods 24/7, but no wild life what so ever to be seen. Not another tractor in sight on the roads or fields despite there being other farmers. The total lack of attention to these kind of details showed real quick to me. If this was the first or second installment of the game - fine. But then you realize it is actually the 6th version, and it is just treading water and not going anywhere in terms of gameplay. It was just unrealistic and repetitive to me, and I almost didn't play it for half a year.

Then I found out about Seasons, and it was like the game was 50% better. Finally some obvious basic realism in terms of environment, economy, wear and tear. Something that lends to actually playing the game and simulating a farm, and not just simulating farming equipment. Without Seasons I would not play FS today.

And I wondered why this had never been incorporated in game before... Maybe because GIANTS don't see the game the same way as a bunch of hard core gamers? I mean, they released 19 without proper support for gaming devices. Maybe the PS/Xbox kids that just want to run anything *now* is the core target group that makes this game viable?

I understand that new brands are interesting and lucrative. But is FS about to become just a photo realistic ad platform for brands? I understand the need for a new graphic engine (or whatever they have built) to advance the game. But it's a massive undertaking, and almost everything else seems to have been put on hold. With the very minor evolution between 15 and 17, I hade hoped for massive improvements in gameplay for 19. Now it feels like a restart again, with just the rudimentary things there and lots of stuff that needs development and refinements. Just like BulletBill wrote: "look at what our new graphics engine can do". Yes, fine, but was graphics and sound so broken and bad in 17 that that was almost the only thing needed to be fixed? (I actually think the engine sounds in 17 is very good - definitely as good as it needs to be.) I stand at Lone Oak Farm and look at the beautiful sky or the autumn leaves or the summer grass (so gorgeous I can almost smell the freshness of it), and I wonder why graphics was the number one priority for 19 after what we got with 15 and 17. And no, I don't find the graphics/texture in 19 that fantastic. It's like the equipment has gone in a photo realistic direction (probably a demand from the manufacturers) and the environment has gone in another (modern cartoon-like) direction. It's like a discord between those two that I do not feel in 17.

Then I think about how much moders have done to 17, and all the stuff I find interesting and realistic and just fun. Seasons, of course. But other things as well. Planes and helicopters in the sky come and go. Factories with sounds and all kinds of goods. Boats out on the sea. Traffic rules you "must" obey at stop signs or traffic lights. Follow Me - just obvious on a big farm. Office hours you have to follow when buying or delivering stuff. Going to the real estate company in town to buy pieces of land. Rent crop dusting airplanes. A letter box with my name on it. A dog and a cat walking around the farm just like in real life. The list goes on and on with stuff that adds to realism and makes the world come alive. And all the stuff I haven't seen but feels natural to me regarding gameplay and running a farm and being part of the fictional local community. Grazing animals at other farms. Cars outside factories during working hours, otherwise empty parking lots. Other farmers delivering to sell points or working on their fields. Equipment that actually breaks down and need repair/towing. Crops destroyed by weather or pest insects. Some proper interaction with the bank regarding finances, or with neighbors about - well - anything. Just some randomness and surprises in the gameplay that makes running a farm challenging - not just rinse and repeat in a 100% predictable manner day after day. The feel of being a farmer in the community, and just not running photo-realistic machines in a zombie-like world.

It is a bit sad to me, because I feel the potential in this unique game is about so much more than just adding brand names and having "better" graphics. I understand that it is probably not GIANTS role to provide us with maps that suits every possible taste. But not even the basic skeleton they did provide in this commercial game called FS19 were finished when released. Somehow I feel that the small advancements that are there in gameplay in 15, 17, and 19 are kind of random and haphazard without an overall logic progression from release to release. To me, they don't add up or age with grace. I lack a clear direction of where they want to go with the game, and I think that is bothering me with 19.

I do still pray about an updated Seasons for 17 with even more realism! :)
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Shakey76

Post by Shakey76 »

I still play FS 17 as Giants still has not put out a patch to fix the controller and pedals issue. As for the game play it leaves a lot to be desired. Basically they rely on the modding community to make the game playable and enjoyable. { will stick with 17 for now.
jpendltn

Post by jpendltn »

I might switch back to 17, since 19 doesn’t fit my tv. Why not? 17 did. Why did you change it?
Mysticalmaid

Post by Mysticalmaid »

I lost interest in 17 once I completed the achievements for it, so I went back to 15 for the last year until 19 came out, I haven't looked back since 19 released. I agree that the engine sounds are annoying, but I much prefer the missions in 19, and I prefer the way the economy works. I prefer the new chickens gameplay compared to the old style but I wish it was a little more, with selling them by transporting to the animal dealer for example and they should have fresh water and a bit of straw or hay for bedding too. I don't care at all about brands, it's not my thing, I just enjoy playing and working my through the game at my own pace.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

@jpendltn...... you can adjust your settings in the options menu to allow it to fit your TV.
gopbernie

Post by gopbernie »

Yes. Still haven't embraced FS19 yet. I suspect I will get there eventually, but find FS17 still has a lot of possibilities for me to create theme farms with appropriate equipment types and scale.
-PC Win 10
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

The past is in the past. I have always moved on from the old games to the new and never looked back. Sure I think about the lost mods (just as i remiss about my younger, more in shape self). But i have hopes for the future that I, i mean farm sim, will be once again a healthy modded virtual playground.

I really don't see all the fuss everyone puts towards fs19 not being good enough yet or yada yada yada. They all knew it would be like this yet somehow they're still surprised. People..... I'll never understand them.
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.