Why are default maps always rubbish?

kevthedev

Why are default maps always rubbish?

Post by kevthedev »

I don't think this game would last long without the mod makers tbh.
The default maps are always rubbish and then we need to wait for the map modders to work their magic. That shouldn't be the case.

Those new to farming sim may not know what i'm talking about but once the decent maps start coming out (maps that take a year to make) you will see how good this game can get.

Are Giants lazy with this game? why don't they make the game with the likes of seasons, soil mod? why don't they try harder with the maps?
Husqvarna TS 352

Re: Why are default maps always rubbish?

Post by Husqvarna TS 352 »

Alright, can a moderator lock it before it becomes a PC v Console war. There's no need for these topics. Plus it's been discussed many many times before.
G'day
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

Why would you lock this thread over PC v Console war. He makes no attempt at all to even mention this. The maps selection is poor for a game that has a two year life cycle and a long mod development turn around. This game is pretty innovating on how they've made modding mainstream they simply have tweak it if they expect to continue on in this manner of depending on modders to fill out the gameplay.
Husqvarna TS 352

Corstaad wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:31 pm Why would you lock this thread over PC v Console war. He makes no attempt at all to even mention this. The maps selection is poor for a game that has a two year life cycle and a long mod development turn around. This game is pretty innovating on how they've made modding mainstream they simply have tweak it if they expect to continue on in this manner of depending on modders to fill out the gameplay.
Because PC players will say "buy a PC and you get way better maps, mods, performance and graphics. You're wasting your time on console".
G'day
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

So what if they do. He's simply opening up with clear issue people have been mentioning of giants not putting much into its base game.
Joshj27a

Post by Joshj27a »

The maps made by giants are as good of quality as you will see. Mod maps are no where near the quality as Giants creates. I get it that the Giants maps might not suit your fancy. They can not cater to everyone with one map. I myself wish Giants would focus more on getting more farm land into maps rather than mountains and streams but their maps are beautiful and you won’t get better from a mod map.
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

I beg to differ that mod maps are nowhere near Giants maps. That's laughable.
Just look at some amazing 17 maps and tell me Goldcrest was better.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
Knottypine

Post by Knottypine »

@ Josh... um, what? Mod maps are nowhere near the quality as Giants?!? Well, please, allow me to point you in the right direction then. Stevie just released the test version of his map, Fenton Forest. I'd venture to say it's one of the most incredibly detailed maps for FS19. Much more quality than the vanilla maps for certain. That is of course IMHO. But to say that Giants throw together maps are better than some of the modding talent out there, sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

@ Husqvarna, this thread has nothing to do with PC/console this vs that. And backseat moderating is kind of frowned upon.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Perhaps if people made the effort to give constructive criticism rather than just say they are “rubbish” Giants might have something to work on to make possible improvements to their maps?

While I have my criticisms of the game, especially the latest version, I have sympathy for Giants with regards the maps since the definition of what makes a good map will vary wildly across the user base, the majority wanting something that closely resembles their own particular geography not to mention their own style of play. Giants cannot possibly create maps which are all things to all players and also cater for all aspects of the base gameplay they implement in a version (all crops, all animals, big and small machines, forestry, workers etc).

I played FS15 on PS4 and loved the Bjornholm map. Didn’t play WBH as much but I thought that was pretty good too. Never did I have any real concern about playing other maps to be able to enjoy the game. I played a lot of maps in FS17 (still PS4) and while I agree the mod maps added a lot of variety to the game I still ended up spending the vast majority of my time on Giants maps like GCV. I’ve switched to PC for 19 and while I don’t feel any great connection to the base maps so far I think it’s more that the game as a whole isn’t as appealing to me rather than the fault of the maps. Going forward i’d rather Giants spent their time developing content and game mechanics which modders can build upon rather than waste time developing maps that will never appease anything like a majority of the user base.
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Knottypine wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 pm @ Josh... um, what? Mod maps are nowhere near the quality as Giants?!? Well, please, allow me to point you in the right direction then. Stevie just released the test version of his map, Fenton Forest. I'd venture to say it's one of the most incredibly detailed maps for FS19. Much more quality than the vanilla maps for certain. That is of course IMHO. But to say that Giants throw together maps are better than some of the modding talent out there, sorry, but I have to disagree with you.
Are you joking? Fenton Forest is basically felsbrunn. So i take Giants map, delete some things, move some things to other place, add few prefabs and what i get? A most incredibly detailed map, where Giants maps are nowhere near.
Fenton Forest for me is actually better version and improved version of felsbrunn, by design, not detail.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:17 pm Perhaps if people made the effort to give constructive criticism rather than just say they are “rubbish” Giants might have something to work on to make possible improvements to their maps?
:this: *thumbsup*
the big print giveth the small print taketh
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Husqvarna TS 352 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 pm
Corstaad wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:31 pm Why would you lock this thread over PC v Console war. He makes no attempt at all to even mention this. The maps selection is poor for a game that has a two year life cycle and a long mod development turn around. This game is pretty innovating on how they've made modding mainstream they simply have tweak it if they expect to continue on in this manner of depending on modders to fill out the gameplay.
Because PC players will say "buy a PC and you get way better maps, mods, performance and graphics. You're wasting your time on console".
*thumbsup*
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

I don't think they are rubbish. GCV was alot of fun! I also enjoyed the Russian map on 17. I can't remember how to spell the name. Mod maps, like the ones that oxygendavid and blacksheep make are better, but I wouldn't call GIANTS maps rubbish.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
Husqvarna TS 352

Sosnovka
G'day
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

Husqvarna TS 352 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 am
Yep I never would have remembered that :lol:
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway