silage bales

clw2147

silage bales

Post by clw2147 »

hello, i just started playing fs19 and had a question. i turned one of my fields into grass to use for making silage bales and was wondering if i need to weed prior to cutting the grass.

thanks
chedly_farms

Re: silage bales

Post by chedly_farms »

If you don't you will have weeds in your feed. And when your heifers eat those weeds it may sour their milk, and in turn the dairy may actually refuse to do business with you.

Or you'll just have a 30% yield loss.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

ok, good to know. thanks. i haven't started any animals yet, i'm just selling the silage bales for a little extra cash at the moment
Phigo

Post by Phigo »

I do not have any weeds in my grass-fields. The weed disapears with sowing and won't Show up on grass. not even in harvested-state after mowing.

Go and check the menu before weeding or spraying.
PS4 und PC
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Same here, never had a weed issue with grass fields.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Are silage bales still good in this game? I might have to start a large operation with them seeing as I never have.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Define good. :)
On normal econ, on xbox, the barn buys them, but at wildly fluctuating prices. (~110 - 325)/1000l I see the price jump without a change indicator too.
As in, I see a good price, start making bales, drop off first load of 8 and get $5k. :( see awful price, wait on rest.

The biogas is just too much a pain until they fix the sell point, and price. (unless you are already on hard econ)

I sell to the barn a lot, I don't have grass fields, just trim around the edges, feed the sheep, ignore the grass when the price is awful.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Apparently the biogas issue is fixed in the new patch when it’s released.
allstops

Post by allstops »

I planted a grass field and in its first growth stage it sprouted weeds, I weeded most of the field but didn’t catch in time and part of the field got to 2nd growth before I finished so I put away the weeder and got the herbicide sprayer but would not kill the remaining weeds. After cutting the weeds still existed and no weeding or spraying would get rid of them. I finally ended up plowing the field up (expanding of course) and re-planting, caught the weeds early in the first growth cycle and weeded successfully this time. Since that I have not had the weeds pop back up and I have cut it a few times. My biggest problem is remembering to fertilize my grass, I always forget until it’s too late, guess I need a better routine.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Cheech says.... always fertilize your grass man......
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

allstops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm I planted a grass field and in its first growth stage it sprouted weeds, I weeded most of the field but didn’t catch in time and part of the field got to 2nd growth before I finished so I put away the weeder and got the herbicide sprayer but would not kill the remaining weeds. After cutting the weeds still existed and no weeding or spraying would get rid of them. I finally ended up plowing the field up (expanding of course) and re-planting, caught the weeds early in the first growth cycle and weeded successfully this time. Since that I have not had the weeds pop back up and I have cut it a few times. My biggest problem is remembering to fertilize my grass, I always forget until it’s too late, guess I need a better routine.
same thing, i had weeds after i first planted, used herbicide to kill them and then haven't had them grow back. i've cut my grass about 6 times.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

clw2147 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm
allstops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm I planted a grass field and in its first growth stage it sprouted weeds, I weeded most of the field but didn’t catch in time and part of the field got to 2nd growth before I finished so I put away the weeder and got the herbicide sprayer but would not kill the remaining weeds. After cutting the weeds still existed and no weeding or spraying would get rid of them. I finally ended up plowing the field up (expanding of course) and re-planting, caught the weeds early in the first growth cycle and weeded successfully this time. Since that I have not had the weeds pop back up and I have cut it a few times. My biggest problem is remembering to fertilize my grass, I always forget until it’s too late, guess I need a better routine.
same thing, i had weeds after i first planted, used herbicide to kill them and then haven't had them grow back. i've cut my grass about 6 times.
I used the weeder. Same result.

Question: can I use one silage bale to make TMR? It's unclear in the in-game manual.