Auger wagons

Cowboy5130

Re: Auger wagons

Post by Cowboy5130 »

Umm, y’all heard of the univerth seed tender? It’s literally an auger wagon THAT HOLDS SEED AND FERTILIZER. It’s even one that is a thing IN REAL LIFE...isn’t it just amazing how that ended up in the game and works perfectly fine and is for the EXACT use y’all are wanting? Not ranting, just emphasizing the important details...
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Uh, do you mean it can hold either? Is it under AugerWagons? And given I'm asking this and that you think that this is "emphasising the important details" and are dumbstruck that you need to say this indicating at the very least that there's some really dumb information NOT in the UI?

If it is in Augers, and does hold both, how would you find it in the game?

If there are things that do this in real life, how would you know OTHER than knowing it is in real life, knowing the trade name for the product and then finding where it is in the shop menu?

Moreover, would this not have been better to know earlier in the thread?

Assuming that it can hold two (or more?) different items at the same time.
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Sorry to badger on, but there really is a lack of info here. Is that true only of that one machine, all augers, some augers, some of several containers? How do you tell in the game UI? If you can tell in the UI, then the actionable part is "make the manual say so", if it isn't, then the UI needs changing to let people know.

Oh, and the point of my "if it could hold fertiliser and seed, it would have a use" was to illustrate that utility could arise for things even if it "broke reality" to do so, that it was one that one brand (as far as currently is said) does so merely undoes the "breaks reality to add this use", but what it now brings up is why is there any other auger wagons? If this is the only one doing that, then this is the only one that actually has some utility over a normal trailer, therefore whose effort developing was at least somewhat useful. If there are more, or all augers can do so, then the real problem here is that the information on them is absolutely nonexistent in the game, since nobody on the first page even hinted that this could be done, they were all either wondering what point they had OR were using them like wagons that could tip into other wagons, even if they never had to, indicating that the lack of information is very widespread.
Last edited by MarkSH on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

So by "it", just the one. And only one in the list. And not the first one. And that there is nothing that says that auger wagons is where you would find something that had two separate bins.

Because forgive me for not pixel hunting, but I looked at the first two wagons in detail then saw they had identical functions and then looked thereafter at the price per litre and seeing no real outliers in price/volume, assumed that they were all basically identical in capability.

Direct drills cost more per meter of width than plain seeders by enough that you can pick out that SOMETHING is up with the pricing so know that there might be something to look at.

Then again, organisation is a little skewed in the shop.

Rather than try (badly) to explain the problem, I'll just go to the solution.

Have items appear if they have the ability suited for that category.

So cultivators will include seeders that self-cultivate. Seeders will include cultivators that happen to seed. If I already have one of the items in cultivators, then I will at least have a hint that I might not need anything from there. If can't see a cultivator that ALSO plants beets, I know I need a plain cultivator or plough to prepare the ground, if I want to plant beets.

Heck, it could do with categories for wheat, sunflowers and so on (if there are other categories not covered by those two), along with the potatoes, beets, corn, cane and forestry tabs. IOW, if it can carry, sow, or reap wheat, it goes in the Wheat category. Heck, except for having a lot of tabs, repeating for barley, even if the content is 100% identical, is fine. To control the extra options in the screen, put it in a separate page, like engines, trailers, placeables, pallets and landscaping are. So if a noob wants to know how to harvest the corn they know where to look. Such a place would therefore be more able to include other items without cluttering up the page they are currently displayed on.

So if I go to Wheat, I see cultivators that plant wheat. I see headers that reap wheat, etc. That page should include where these items came from so I learn where to look. Another reason maybe to make it a separate tab.
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

It’s the first auger wagon on the list in the shop, it should only hold seed and feet. You can put the seed in the fron and feet in the back or Vice versa and it’s auger can be positioned directly over the seed boxes on the planters/drills...it’s white and looks different than a normal grain cart if that helps
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Drmattymd wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm And there also is a realistic reason to use auger wagons in the game. If you have a worker harvesting a field, and a loaded tipper on its way to be emptied, either at your farm or at the mill, then the auger wagon becomes a holding bin so that the combine doesnt have to wait for the tipper to return to the field

That's really expensive. If you were doing that it would be FAR cheaper to just leave a plain old wagon. And the AI won't do it, so it's of doubly limited utility.

Also there aren't many harvesters that don't hold enough to get you to and back from the selling point on the base maps. They're not that big. Beets from field 2 down to grain southeast and back takes about the same time as it takes to fill up the 30k hold, and therefore the 31k hold wagon is a perfect fit. That's one side of the map to the other. Uphill. Not quite both ways.

The point is that there is realistic use, but very expensive, very much unnecessary and very very much obsoleted by the simple process of putting an empty wagon there.

So, again, like I said earlier, if they put out three auger wagons for small medium and large volumes then did not one more auger wagons, they'd be spending that effort on other things of much more use.

Which would you want? More auger wagons OR more forestry tools OR more tractors OR more cars OR more harvesters OR ...? Choose one.

If the same effort were put into articulating three smaller lowloaders: one so you can move the skid loaders to a new area for forestry, one move a forkift and 10 pallets, and one to move 10 tools from the shop to your farm (like 3 front loader implements, five pallets and two bales of hay), then how much more would that effort be rewarded by being used than three auger wagons that nobody will use because it can be done by wagons cheaper and easier on the VERY INFREQUENT occasions you need them at all?

If they articulated three sizes of flatbed with rear ramps and a winch so you did not need a frontloader to do the transport missions, would that be used by pretty much everyone?

What is the better payoff for effort?
Last edited by MarkSH on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Cowboy5130 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:29 pm It’s the first auger wagon on the list in the shop, it should only hold seed and feet. You can put the seed in the fron and feet in the back or Vice versa and it’s auger can be positioned directly over the seed boxes on the planters/drills...it’s white and looks different than a normal grain cart if that helps
I'll take a look. Didn't notice the first one looking any different to the second in so far as saying it had two compartments. The price was higher, but I took that to mean you still had 100% of the engineering to make it an auger but had a lower volume with it, and empty space costs very little, just a bit of steel to contain it.

Then again, some tools can hold either fertiliser or seed but not both and others hold both, yet the UI still uses two icons to show this. That, however, may be because the info is there, there's just no description of how to read it and I interpreted it incorrectly.
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

Yeah...it’s not the greatest but I speak from experience, I’m pretty darn sure it has 2 compartments, they do irl at least I’ve used it in game before. Glad I could help though, have fun using it!
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Well it's more useful for some of the items that, unlike others, and for no documented in game reason, can't be filled with the R key from the ground, whilst others, visually identical in what they do, can. Meaning you buy a shedload of seed and then have the wrong tractor to actually use the seed holder by tipping the pallet in.

So it's more like making it possible to use another implement rather than useful itself.

Which brings it back to what I think the OP was hinting at: Auger wagons are fairly useless. Even this one is just one. Yet we have a shedload of augers. Each one took time, which is a non fungible resource. If they'd built a few flatbeds with ramps, built a flatbed for a truck that had ramps (so you didn't have to use the lowloader version) and a few more vehicles for puttering around in, they'd have paid off better in how much they'd be used.

If the only auger was this one, because it had a use, then there'd be a simple answer to the OP's question, if it even had to be asked: "to hold seed and fertiliser in one bin so that some items can be filled without needing a frontloader or equivalent to hand".

And being just the one, it could have actually explained that it had this use. When it is mixed with others that have only one compartment, it can't do that quite so readily.
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

But thanks for the help. It's the UI that is unhelpful. 90% of people playing this game won't know the farmers' equivalent of the Sears Catalogue off by heart enough to know what the actual real life implements do, so know how to interpret what is presented.
bader420

Post by bader420 »

U take it too serious it's a game
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Drmattymd wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm Your "solution" would only succeed in cluttering up the shop even more, along with a lot of repetition and confusion.
By that metric of defining clutter, every mod clutters the shop. And no, repetition isn't confusion.

If you know you need to cultivate,you look in cultivators. Why do you need to cultivate? Because you want to plant stuff. What do you want to plant? Wheat? Then a direct drill will also let you "cultivate" to plant wheat. It isn't repetition any more than having different words with the same meaning included in a dictionary is clutter.
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

Everyone plays the game how they want. I happen to play it with augers, along with many other people. If you think its pointless, great. I respect that. Please give us (people using augers) the due respect that we are giving you and let us play how we like. We like them, you dont. We got that across loud and clear about 20 posts ago.
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
cvKurt

Post by cvKurt »

On most of my farms, I use a tipper (or push-back) with wide wheels and take the fruit to my silos or a sell point... and I might park a semi with a large grain trailer next to the field, then bring the harvester to it to unload. On some farms, I do use auger chaser bins to bring the crop from the harvester to the field side semi. I do try to keep semis off the fields. I do also use the seed runner.
Alexandro

Post by Alexandro »

For now, Courseplay doesn't have the overload function enabled, but when it does the auger wagons will make much more sense on big fields with more than a combine at work.