Oilseed Radish

BreadedVirus

Oilseed Radish

Post by BreadedVirus »

Now that the game has weeds, did the game devs not take into consideration that oilseed radish suppresses weeds?

"It is primarily used to break up soil compaction, capture residual Nitrogen, suppress weeds, increase water infiltration, and increase soil biology"

http://www.advancecovercrops.com/portfo ... ed-radish/
the big print giveth the small print taketh
GenXFarmer

Re: Oilseed Radish

Post by GenXFarmer »

Suppress is not the same as eliminates.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

GenXFarmer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:25 pm Suppress is not the same as eliminates.
I am aware of that, but this could of been simulated in the game. It is is a simulation of farming after all.... :hmm:

Instead of having a whole field covered in weeds....
DRandi

Post by DRandi »

It does suppress weeds. Plant a crop of radishes and no weeds will grow. Now once you cultivate and plant a new crop you do the weed battle all over, just like real life.

Real life weeds are much more troublesome than what is represented game. Birds, animals, and wind all bring them. When you do weed in real life, you are only attacking the weed seeds in the top two inches of soil. Deeper weeds are dormant until brought up to the surface. You try to disturb the soil as little as possible to prevent stirring up new weeds and hope your crop gets to suffice growth to choke out any new/remaining weeds.

Weeds are very easy to deal with in game. Fertilize, cultivate, plant/sow, fertilizer one final time. Then spray the field with herbicide. All done in the same day and don’t have to touch the field again till harvest time.

David.
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

DRandi wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:12 am When you do weed in real life...

David.
I only do dirt, as I haven’t managed to do any hard core pesky organic matter yet. :shock:
Last edited by Cowboy5130 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

DRandi wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:12 am It does suppress weeds. Plant a crop of radishes and no weeds will grow. Now once you cultivate and plant a new crop you do the weed battle all over, just like real life.

Real life weeds are much more troublesome than what is represented game. Birds, animals, and wind all bring them. When you do weed in real life, you are only attacking the weed seeds in the top two inches of soil. Deeper weeds are dormant until brought up to the surface. You try to disturb the soil as little as possible to prevent stirring up new weeds and hope your crop gets to suffice growth to choke out any new/remaining weeds.

Weeds are very easy to deal with in game. Fertilize, cultivate, plant/sow, fertilizer one final time. Then spray the field with herbicide. All done in the same day and don’t have to touch the field again till harvest time.

David.
Thanks for that. Did not know that it was integrated in the game like that. *thumbsup*
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

So, I've tried a few things, and I think I am missing a bit.
If I plant oilseed radish, let it grow, cultivate, then sow with a sower that does fertilizing, I get both fertilize levels.
If I cultivate with a fertilizing cultivator (slurry) then plant with a planter that fertilizes I only get the first level.
DRandi

Post by DRandi »

Correct. Game mechanics have to see a change in state of the ground for it to count the next fertilizer stage. Think of it as mixing the fertilizer into the soil before adding more fertilizer. If you cultivated in slurry and then dropped soild fertilizer without a additional plow in between, both types would simply be sitting on top of the soil.

If you cultivate, fertilize, then cultivate, game mechanics limitation sees no change in ground state.

Same goes with herbicide. Game mechanics are you have to do a weed cycle after planting. Once the ground has changed state to planted. Spray herbicide and your good to go.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

I think I see better now,I like to run a weeder after the actual weeds come, as a rule, but since I have a sprayer I use for fertilizer I can switch to herbicide when I miss the first stage.
I'm new to this franchise, so I have things like lime and periodic plowing turned off, until I figure out how the rest of it works. :)
I've weaned myself off of paying the workers to refill seed, etc. (mostly) but I was having some trouble understanding how the two stage fert logic works.
Weeds seem simple, weeds start from the top of the map and move down, periodically, across the whole map. The current state of you field determines whether it gets weeds, or skipped, and whether you've have weeds already since planting. I've never sprayed before having weeds, as it was implied, someplace, that preventative spraying wasn't a thing.
DRandi

Post by DRandi »

Might be from initial release things were changed or they got the order wrong. You can only preventive spray after planting/sowing and it has to be done once each growth cycle.
Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker »

Things do have to be done in a specific order, which in most cases makes sense. But I do think that planting a cover crop, then seeding with a fertilizing seeder, should give you two fert steps. Using a fertilizing cultivator, then a fertilizing seeder should also give you two steps, but currently doesn't.

What DOES work is to use "natural" fertilizer (manure, slurry), then using a fertilizing seeder - this gives you two steps.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Rickenbacker wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 pm Things do have to be done in a specific order, which in most cases makes sense. But I do think that planting a cover crop, then seeding with a fertilizing seeder, should give you two fert steps. Using a fertilizing cultivator, then a fertilizing seeder should also give you two steps, but currently doesn't.

What DOES work is to use "natural" fertilizer (manure, slurry), then using a fertilizing seeder - this gives you two steps.
Seems like I tried a slurry followed by a self cultivating seeder, and it worked, but not if it's a natural, slurry powered, cultivator, like the zunhammer zunidisc, on the back of a SKE 18.5, followed by a fertilizing planter.