Build a PC or buy one?

eight_lugs

Build a PC or buy one?

Post by eight_lugs »

After seeing all these videos with mods I just can’t continue playing on Xbox.

Am I better off building my own pc or buying a prebuilt one?

For a cpu is intel better than amd? 3ghz or better?

Is 4gb sufficent for a gpu?

How about ram?
Smith Modding

Re: Build a PC or buy one?

Post by Smith Modding »

The build vs buy debate is tricky. If you have experience, building a pc can often be a little cheaper. However, if you have no experience, it might be better to look for a good deal on a prebuilt. As far as AMD vs Intel, I prefer Intel, though AMD offers more budget options. I would look for a CPU with a base clock of around 2.5-3.0 GHz, but make sure that the boost clock speed goes well above that. I recommend at least 8GB of ram, and a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Guil

Post by Guil »

Since mining went down prices for prebuilt have dropped dramatically.

Look for some prebuilt and then check the price on the likes of pc part picker and decide which way you want to go.
Richard Dower

Post by Richard Dower »

Depends on your skill level, it's cheaper to build a PC.

Look for Paul's Hardware on YouTube, he recently built a PC for beginners, very slow and easy to follow guide.

As for parts, build the best you can afford.
Ryzen 2600, B450 motherboard, try get a 2060 or a 1060 6GB.

RAM...8 should do, 16 is more future proof, 2666hmz is enough, but if you can find a deal on a 3000 or 3200mhz kit go for it.

A cheap SATA SSD is enough, say 250gb or 240. Get a 1 or 2TB spinning hard drive.

Power supply, 600 or 650 watt Bronze is enough.
Cases are based in taste a budget, I bought a cooler master masterbox mb520 RGB which has tempered glass and 4 fans, 3 are RGB.

2600 that auto overclocked to 3.9Ghz, a 1070ti, 16 GB of G. Skill Trident Z RGB memory, its compatible with AMD Ryzen.

It's all about budget, you can spend from 800 to 1600 Euro.
Richard Dower

Post by Richard Dower »

eight_lugs wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 pm After seeing all these videos with mods I just can’t continue playing on Xbox.

Am I better off building my own pc or buying a prebuilt one?

For a cpu is intel better than amd? 3ghz or better?

Is 4gb sufficent for a gpu?

How about ram?
I feel your pain, I very recently sold my xbox one x and built a PC. The graphics difference even at 1080p is amazing.

No comparison between xbox one x and PC at ultra settings.

Welcome to the dark side my friend!
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

My father and I built us BOTH PCs with no prior experience. Lots of youtube videos and tutorials and reading is all. A bit of a tip for building it too, if you go that route, is to test all the components hooked together before putting them in the case to save yourself a lot of headache should things not work.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

If you have the coin and want to play sooner rather than later, go buy a gaming pc pre-build. You can always upgrade later if needed.
You won't spend much more and you'll be playing the game a lot sooner.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I just got my second pc (for my wife) both at about $1000 (hers was a bit more as mine was on sale).. specs r in my sig.. its a good computer and I can play most games at ultra settings, even the badly optimized ones (all if I drop down to 1080p).. both computers were prebuilt and both r under warranty although we did spend a tad bit more for coverage.. whats more is I have had absolutely no issues in over a year that ive owned mine.. my suggestion tho.. if u get a prebuilt one skip the ssd.. it will be cheaper to get one and install it yourself.. ive got a 500g ssd in route and it was less than the difference on my wifes should we have added a 250g ssd to her package.. wait until u discover the other simulator games out for pc.. its a whole new world my friend.. good luck

edit.. on the note of thumbwiz, my wifes computer arrived in 2 days after ordering.. it was literally plug and play.. registered the device (the same as for any console), it was updated in running at full par in less than 10 minutes.. after that it was a matter of installing games which thanks to its speed and being hardwired instead of wifi her whole steam library was installed in less than an hour
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

I've built my own PCs since the early 90s (anyone remember Cyrix?) I've found that it's a little cheaper (usually) to build my own, and I find some comfort in knowing exactly what parts I'm putting in. A prebuilt might have an Nvidia 1060 in it, but is it an MSI, or Evga, or Zotac, or a Chinese knockoff? There's a certain sense of accomplishment as well. You may have to buy a Windows license, as well, but you'll get it without a manufacturer's bloatware/adware on it.
If you can hookup a home theater setup, you can probably build a PC. The hard part, I think, is in knowing what parts to buy so that they will work together. pcpartpicker.com is very good for that, though not infallible. Do your homework.
As far as AMD vs Intel, if you're on a serious budget, stay away from the AMD's FX series for Farming Simulator. I can't speak for the Ryzen chips, but I've found that the FX chips are far behind their Intel counterparts.
Playing on PC
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

www.pcpartpicker.com is a great place to go for building your own PC.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
eight_lugs

Post by eight_lugs »

I built one about 15 years ago. I assume it’s lile riding a bicycle haha
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Building your own PC is not difficult just methodical, there are lots of guides online. If you are going to buy ready made don't go to PC World and buy one off the shelf unless you are really sure what you are buying because they often cut corners.

In the UK, my main supplier is Scan, their pre-made machines use regular kit that you would normally buy. Taking a quick look at their offerings the '3XS Gamer 1060 6GB' looks like a good starting point.

Specs (https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator ... sgamer1060)
Intel Core i5 8400 Six Core
ASUS TUF B360-PLUS GAMING, Intel B360 Chipset
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz
6GB EVGA GTX 1060 SC
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Microsoft Windows 10 64bit & 3 Year Premium Warranty

Add an extra £100 you get a SSD drive and a 1660Ti graphics card, probably worth doing (https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator ... 60ti-intel).

I'm not sure what is actually needed graphics card wise right now having recently switched from an old 980 to a 2070, so someone else will have to suggest what you 'need' or suggest as a minimum.

Take a look at the specs that shops are selling, work out what the parts will cost you if you buy them direct yourself and see how much your time is worth to build the PC. You might find a supplier selling a pre-made that meets all your requirements for less than you can build it yourself, I've had one in the past where it made sense to buy the PC and just wipe the drives and put on a new OS and still saved money. Copy the parts list into PartPicker and see what the most economical way is to get all the parts, watch for shipping charges though.

Personally I would go for at least an Intel i5 CPU and 8GB RAM minimum, I also prefer Nvidia graphics card but you will get just as many people arguing that AMD is the way to go, so good luck on that one.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

I think the first decision to be made is what you want the pc to do, do you simply want something for FS games or do you want to play multiple games, my son wanted a pc only for FS17 and 19 and ATS, I have no computer building experience what so ever but I went out and found a decent used pc on a buy and sell site, did a small amount of research and found a compatible gpu that was capable of these games and for less than $250 can. he is well on his way with these games. I would suggest starting off small with used parts and if you like the way things are going you can upgrade in time, fast or slow depending on your budget, I honestly found the whole process much less complicated than many claim it to be
Lostfarmer6474

Post by Lostfarmer6474 »

Check Newegg. They have good deals . I was trying to build one and put prices on the paper. But they had 3 days deal and I got prebuild cheeper . I7, gtx 2080. I was shooting for 1070 or 1080.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask this question, then you should not be attempting to build a PC.