Vehicles and their engines

Guil

Re: Vehicles and their engines

Post by Guil »

Yeah its like a crawler with a half gear as it's called in Ireland, that's what the H and L in every gear is.
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

Coldlandlord wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:48 am Those slap over gearboxes are hateful things. is that a merc gearbox?
Hino. I like the slap over box, but then I suppose I'm well used to it.

Fs11-15 on pc. Fs17 & 19 on xb1.
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

The slapover box, how does it work? Do you slap the stick to the left or right to shift between high and low split? I know nothing except Volvo and Scania manual transmissions and automatic Volvo, Scania, old Mercedes Actros and the two worthless MAN we have at work...
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

So the low box is 1-4 and the stick rests between 3 & 4 when in neutral. Then when you want to go for the high box, 5-8, you hit the stick to the right and it then rests between 5 & 6 in neutral. Basically the slap over or knock across does the same as the switch found on the front of the 4 over 4 on a Daf, Volvo or the Eaton box mentioned earlier. The high/low split for each gear is on the front of the stick instead of the side where the 4 over 4 has it.
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

Ok, got it, thanks! *thumbsup*
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

I found this powercurve for Volvos 13 litre engines. The dotted line is the tourque and the other line is horsepower. Tourque is what you want ☺️
Picture might be a bit small, sorry about that!
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

That Hino looks the business! I've never seen a tractor unit in this country before.
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

Thanks! She is a rare beast. I'm told it's the only one in Northern Ireland. I know there's a few down south but still very rare compared to the rest. Been driving 8 wheeler Hinos for a few years. Got the unit about 6 months now. Having said all that, I just stepped out of an evening in an auto Daf and I could be converted....
Guil

Post by Guil »

Daf auto is sheet IMO haha. Was it a cf or xf?
I hated the auto cf when I was driving them, 360ish hp coming from Dublin port through the tunnel with a container, absolute torture haha.
VTL transport have a good few hino tractor units. They used to do most of the deliveries for Dunnes stores.
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

Cf 410. It's no I-shift to be fair but good going thing for an 8 wheeler beavertail.
I meet one of VTLs Hino units most mornings coming up with a Dunnes trailer to Coleraine. Always get a flash! (No not that type of flash you mucky lot.)
Alf13

Post by Alf13 »

TheSwede wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:37 pm
Coldlandlord wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:48 am the only euro trucks i can recall not having snycro in modern times are the ERF's and fodens with the eaton twin splitter. These were a pig to get used to but once you were used to it they were awesome.
Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong but the Sisu from Finland might not have synchro. Atleast they use american engines. Caterpillar I believe..
Correct, TheSwede *thumbsup* Sisu from Finland uses Eaton's Fuller gearboxes. From 70's till today. At early 2000 Sisu decided not to provide their trucks with Fullers. As a result to a crapload of customer feedback they were kind of forced to bring Fullers back (at least as an option).

Sisu uses nowadays Mercedes Benz engines. Formerly they have used Leyland (60's to early 80's), Rolls Royce (70's to early 80's), Cummins (70's to 2000's), Caterpillar (2000's to 2010's), Renault (90's to 2010's) and of course Valmet engines with smaller models.
Perkele
Guil

Post by Guil »

stevoxsi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 pm Cf 410. It's no I-shift to be fair but good going thing for an 8 wheeler beavertail.
I meet one of VTLs Hino units most mornings coming up with a Dunnes trailer to Coleraine. Always get a flash! (No not that type of flash you mucky lot.)
Maybe it was the lack of power that made it seem bad then. It was dreadful for an artic. I used to drive them at the weekends and the bin lorry during the week.
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

Alf13 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 pm
TheSwede wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:37 pm Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong but the Sisu from Finland might not have synchro. Atleast they use american engines. Caterpillar I believe..
Correct, TheSwede *thumbsup*
Kiitos Alf :hi:

Regarding Renault engines in the Sisus.. When did Renault start using Volvo engines in their trucks? Is there any chance that a Volvoengine have ended up in a Sisu? I would say probably not.. But I think it's an interesting thought :smileynew:
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

Renault have used volvo engines for at least 15 years. I think it was early - mid 2000's when volvo group bought out renault trucks

from what i recall, from this point, they started phasing in volvo engines:
DCI badged trucks are Renaults own engines
DXI were volvo engines
the V8 in the magnum was a Mack engine

I believe that they are all volvo now, even the MACK engine is a rebadged volvo motor.

despite some questionable styling, I don't know what the new era of renaults are like but the premiums were the pits!
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

I haven't met more than two drivers with approximately the same language skills as me (swedish, norwegian or english..) , that have been driving Renault. One of them just hated it. He was used to drive Scania.. The other one was the owner of the same truck and it was his second or third Renault... So I guess he pretty much liked it, or liked the pricing! :lol: