FS19 PC FPS problems

IceUul

FS19 PC FPS problems

Post by IceUul »

FS19 or FS17 or Giants Engine problems with FPS whatever you want to call them.
Anyway, start the game, buy some equipment, evolve, buy more, in some point you have a big farm and pieces
around 20 and more game FPS starting to go down. FS17 had exact same problem.

This topic here is, how to get fps better, i am tired of playing small farms, i want to make big farm, 40 tractors, 10 harvesters and so on,
lot of helpers and courseplay, but then my game runs only on 20-30FPS.

I have tried:
Lowering graphics settings - did not work
Upgradeing graphics card - did not work
Overcloking ram and CPU - did not work
Getting fastest SSD - did not work
Upgrading RAM size - did not work
Selling all my equipment - works!

Ok, the rig i am running:
Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
Intel i6800K @ 4ghz, 6 cores.
DDR4 32GB 4-channel RAM @ 3200mhz
512GB Samsun 960 Pro m.2 SSD
I play only 30fps, resolution is 2560x1440 at the moment, settings high or medium, does not matter fps still drops
to 30.

I am using performance monitor on win 10 pro to check the hardware utilization by FS19.
RAM usage is low, around 8GB. Video memory usage 5GB, Video card utilization 50%, FS19 uses only 2 cores, one is 100% and another
one is around 50%, sometimes uses 3 and 4 core also, never more. So i expect the bottleneck is CPU speed, but overcloking from
3.4ghz to 4ghz did not help at all. SSD usage seems also low. Upgrading videocard from 1080 ti to 2080 ti, did not help at all, fps still same if lowering settings.

I am running out of ideas.

For example: how to get this low fps... use cheat code to add 5M dollar, buy so many tractors and harvesters you can and let them sit front of the shop. After you move around them, fps going down. Even you look them from far, if you look in other direction, fps going ok. But the direction of the shop, it is going low.
svkb

Re: FS19 PC FPS problems

Post by svkb »

I'm not sure there is a solution to this to be honest with you. The game is not well optimized in certain situations.

That being said, you mentioned one of your cpu cores was at 100%, to me that tells me that the load isn't being distributed properly and that core is doing all the work. In that case you would be cpu bound.

My experience has been that (and I don't know how this is possible) some maps seem to have better load balance across the cpu cores. For example, I can play on one map and almost max out one core while all the other cores are basically idle. I can load up a different map and have all 4 cores/8 threads bearing the load. Nobody has been able to explain to me how this is possible as I don't think the map makers have any control over that, it would be the game engine dictating this.

Does the map you're trying to play on have lots of trees? That's where I notice the problem the most.
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

It's not your system, it's the game. There are a few other threads on here detailing the same problems but, to the best of my recollection, offering no overall solutions.

Best thing that I can tell you is to use as little equipment as possible - including keeping the number of bales that you have laying around low - or find a map with less detail. As stated previously, maps with a lot trees will drag the FPS down. If you find a map that you like but that has a lot of trees use the Giants Editor to remove them. Can take a while but it's better than logging it.

With your set-up you should expect the game to run fine. As long as everything is installed correctly and working well for other games/tasks, this is unfortunately what you can expect from FS.
Playing on PC
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

The problem i had mostly with Ravenport map, Felsbrunn runs better, Estancia Lapacho much better.

Other games does not have any problems.
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

For those having performance issues, are you using the 4k monitor? I have a feeling the change that was made to their game engine created two issues. The first of course is the performance issue which is probably connected with the 4k monitor. My system is using the 1080 monitor so I do not have the performance issue that has been reported, but other people including me are having antialiasing issues. I guess people using the 4k monitors are not having antialiasing issues. I really hope Giants understands the issues they have.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I find that this issue I am having is (sometimes) worse when it is "darker" ... I made a test standing still in a position where my FPS dropped to around 50-55 and then set the time to x120 ... this was early morning and after a few hours the FPS started going up to 60.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
svkb

Post by svkb »

I have issues on any map when ever I am plowing, if the plow is in the ground working I get micro stutters and a drop of 1-2 FPS for every plow that is working. Plus any map that has a lot of trees. If I look in the direction of the trees, FPS drops.

I am connected to a 4K tv. Neither cpu or gpu are anywhere close to being maxed out in these scenarios. I have had instances where I get fps drops and my gpu maxed out. That is ok and to be expected, but the micro stutters and fps drops because of poor optimization are just bad!
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super
svkb

Post by svkb »

So, found something new today. FPS was a solid 60, as soon as I start spreading lime (haven't tried fertilizer yet) my fps drops to 59 and I get the microstutter. Enabled the in game fps counter and every second exactly the fps drops to 57 and then climbs back to 60, every second perfectly. If I disable vsync and remove the fps cap my fps jumps to over 90. Can't do this though cause it looks awful. So I re-enable the frame cap and then every second I get a stutter.

Checked my log and it is clean not a single error in it. Very poor game engine I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super
W1der

Post by W1der »

@svkb ...

This sounds similar to what I experienced before changing my screen update setting to 59Hz.

Would be interesting if doing that is a fix for you regarding the ”micro stutter”!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Maikello

Post by Maikello »

Disable MSAA or try x2
Scaling resolution 100-110%
Disable adaptive vsync - if the computer has a performance problem at 60 FPS, automatically reduces vsync to 30 frames per second
When cpu reaches 100% it means that you should reduce the LOD distance
svkb

Post by svkb »

W1der wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 pm @svkb ...

This sounds similar to what I experienced before changing my screen update setting to 59Hz.

Would be interesting if doing that is a fix for you regarding the ”micro stutter”!
Are you saying change my monitor settings? I'm playing on a 4k TV so I can't change its refresh rate. At least not that I've been able to find.
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super
W1der

Post by W1der »

On a TV it is probably only possible to change between 50 and 60Hz PAL/NTSC or what ever its called ...
Arrancar88

Post by Arrancar88 »

What I've learned from playing FS games over the years :
- Many vehicles at same place will cause FPS drops no matter what PC do you have. This was present in all most FS games, especially newer ones. Probably an engine issue.

FS19 issues :
- Alt tabbing will cause micro stutter, but not FPS drops.
- 2+ workers will cause FPS drops. FPS will instantly return to normal(60 in my case) after one of the workers is disabled or finished. This is more noticable if one of the workers is plowing or cultivating. Probably an engine issue.
Note : this issue was not present in other FS games. For example in FS17, I had regularly 4-5, where 2-3 of them were plowing/cultivating and I had no FPS drops.

Other things :
- Felsbrunn is a lot more optimized than Ravenport.
- Modded maps/vehicles tend to be a lot more heavy than vanilla ones.

Conclusion : Even with "NASA" PC you would not be able to have such a huge farm(50 tractors, 10 combines etc..) with multiple workers, since Giants Engine have it's limitations.
PC Steam
Farming since FS2009 :hi:
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Problem solved.

I found what was causing the FPS drop, now i have solid 60 fps most of the time.

The problem was inside the mods, not sure which ones, but i deleted all the mods from mod folder,
that made warnings/errors inside the log file. Most of them were downloaded from modhub.us, untested, faulty, beta
mods that had lot of errors, after deleting around 50 mods, game started to work much better.

Also few things to notice:
1. Giants modhub is only safe place to download mods, because they are previously tested.
2. Giants ingame machines are in unpacked format on HDD, in FS17 helped me to prevent stutter if i unpacked
all my mods in mod folder (repack with store option might help also). In FS19 i started with unpacked mods, so i do not know the difference.
First of all i do not play in multiplayer and this way i can very fast edit xml files if needed.
3. Most of the modsites host the mods what are not ready, they have errors, bugs... causing game to run bad. You can
test them yourself, but this needs lot of time and effort.
4. Giants made maps are well tested and run better - if you move around the map, some maps still causing fps drops. For example Felsbrunn, Estancia Lapacho and Ravenport does not have any issues, also Marwell Manor Farm works fine, but some areas in Old Stream Farm, Oakfield and in the Old Farm Countryside causing fps drops. Drop from 60 to 40 is quite annoying. Also i have seen some beta/PC only maps that run really bad, even there are not much objects on the map.
svkb

Post by svkb »

IceUul wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 am Problem solved.

2. Giants ingame machines are in unpacked format on HDD, in FS17 helped me to prevent stutter if i unpacked
all my mods in mod folder (repack with store option might help also). In FS19 i started with unpacked mods, so i do not know the difference.
What do you mean by unpacked mods? I though any mod you put in the mod folder had to be zipped???
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
16 GB Ram DDR4 3000
RTX 2070 Super